Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2015, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Panasonic shows why 4k video matters

I respect Pentax call on not making video a big priority. They don't have the expertise in house, and making excellent stills is their strong suit.

But Lumix gear is now getting adventurous with 4k video in very creative ways:
  • your 'basic' 4k UHD video
  • pulling 8Mpx stills from fast-video settings (using video as super-burst still cam)
  • new video/burst mode: AF focuses briefly on everything - you pull your choice of focus later

Yes these are 'only' 8Mpx shots - but you are pretty much guaranteed the shot you wanted. The 4k/photo can use fast shutter speeds to freeze action, and of course IS inside of nearly all Lumix lenses. That new all-focus 4k is a firmware update. And when you can take your time the 16Mpx 4/3 sensor isn't bad either.

For the current sale prices I'm picking up a G7. It won't replace my K-50 but it will do things I don't expect to see from Pentax any time soon. They could kidnap an engineer and start a video lab tomorrow of course, but I sorta doubt it.

11-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

So this is you showing why 4K matters to you, right?
I was expecting a link to some Panasonic marketing video or something
11-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I definitely found the body of my post easier than the thread title in this case, I changed it a couple times before sending.
11-30-2015, 06:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

For compression, some video codecs have a key frame every, say, 30 frames. That is an attribute you can specify when you transcoding some video and no doubt has a default from the manufacture. The other frames are interpolated. I haven't played with or use any 4K yet.

But it seems to me if it's like 1080p/H264 frames I've grabbed in the past, the key frames were way better in quality to grab than one of the interpolated frames. And that restricted you to about one frame every second for the best quality. But I can't say if that is the case with the 4K cameras today.

03-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #5
Imp
Pentaxian

Maybe in a year, I might think of picking up a Panny with an adapter for my manual Pentax primes, for filming. I'll have to see...

I was thinking GH3, but the I noticed the G7, and its got 4k, zebras, peaking, and it doesn't loose too many features... i'll have to see, between G7 and GH4. or GH3. Arrgh
03-02-2016, 06:31 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Maybe in a year, I might think of picking up a Panny with an adapter for my manual Pentax primes, for filming. I'll have to see...

I was thinking GH3, but the I noticed the G7, and its got 4k, zebras, peaking, and it doesn't loose too many features... i'll have to see, between G7 and GH4. or GH3. Arrgh
I'd say that the G7 gives you the most bang for your buck. I thought about getting one but I'd rather save my pennies for the K-1 as stills are still my priority.
03-02-2016, 10:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The G7 is a mini GH4, less bells and whistles but almost as good, THEN theres the GX8 bells and whistles galore(I read some people called it the brick, dunno if they knew that name was taken)

03-03-2016, 04:45 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pulling photos out of a 4K video stream feels to me like more work than just shooting stills. Honestly, it is hard to do both well. Most of us have a greater interest in either still photography or videography and it is pretty hard to do both at the same time. Snagging the occasional still out of a video stream can work for some situations, but at best you'll mostly get snap shots from such a procedure as compared to (hopefully) well composed/framed/processed images from a typical still photo shoot. My experience with video frames is that they are at best jpegs lacking the typical dynamic range and color depth of even a normal jpeg, much less a RAW image. But I haven't looked at the newest Panasonic cameras much, so they could be different.
03-03-2016, 05:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

4K matters to a very small group of people. Panasonic and Sony push it because they also make 4K displays and they need to sell them. I'm all for manufacturers developing as much technology as possible and allowing the users to find uses for it, but right now I have zero interest in 4K.
03-03-2016, 03:40 PM   #10
Imp
Pentaxian

I think i'm finally coming to terms with the fact that cameras are good at their certain thing, and they can't be expected to do everything

Pentax is head and shoulders above other camera's ergonomics and image quality (at least my K-30 vs. any rebel, d3000 series, d5000 has perhaps better image quality but far worse ergonomics) and they're photographic scalples. Get something else for video.

That said, Pentax, please improve your video quality to decent
and then I wouldn't have a single qualm about upgrading

03-04-2016, 12:00 AM   #11

i own both and both do great things, pentax for outdoors and pana for indoors. you can mount k lenses to a g7 with an adapter.
03-04-2016, 08:37 AM   #12
Imp
Pentaxian

What adapter do you guys use? I can't imagine buying the novaflex $250 version with aperture control - that's half the price of the camera?

How have your experience with your adapters been?
03-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The cheap eBay ones....I've got one with apature ring for the DA lens series
03-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Pentax is head and shoulders above other camera's ergonomics and image quality
The Pentax religion truly believes that. I have several camera brands and owned others in the past. It's not true for me. One brand has a custom menu tab that is empty and you get to populate it with all of your favorite and most accessed features in one small menu. The menu and buttons in my M-mount camera makes Pentax's and other camera's menus system seem like a complicated nightmare. Just saying...