Photos: Gallery
"Lens Mounts No Longer Matter"

https://luminous-landscape.com/lens-mounts/

12-02-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found this statement interesting: "my guess is that not only are the margins better on cameras than on lenses" since the accepted wisdom here is that the margins on lenses is much better than on bodies. I guess if you are using the razor->razor blade plan that is true, sell the body cheap so you can lock the customer in to high priced lenses. But this reverses that thinking. Make your money on the body because your customers are likely to spend (or have already spent) their lens money on a different brand.

Might explain why Sony bodies are so expensive??
12-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yep.
I already use my Pentax glass on my Sony FS7 and my little Nex 5T.
If Pentax/Ricoh messes up with the FF, it will hurt them in more ways than just a FF camera.
12-02-2015, 11:12 AM   #4
jaz

Thanks for the link to this very interesting article.

12-02-2015, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote

https://luminous-landscape.com/lens-mounts/
There a few holes in this. First of all, the title should be, "Lens Mounts No Longer Matter for some lenses on some camera bodies". Secondly the idea is hardly new: m42 'universal' mount, t-mount, tamron adaptall. Tamron, Sigma et al have released lines of lenses with multiple fixed mounts available, covering a broad spectrum of popular camera brands. A wrinkle in this is that they have to reverse-engineer the firmware to work with ensuing model releases (strangely, Nikon, Canon etc are unwilling to hand over trade secrets). This has involved the owner shipping the lens back to the factory, so the DIY aspect described in the article is a new angle.

How this works in practice, and whether major camera brands will take this lying down, remains to be seen, but two possibilities that spring to mind are: some kind of firmware encryption, and IP lawsuits (think DMCA).

So not quite as advertised.
12-04-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Secondly the idea is hardly new: m42 'universal' mount, t-mount, tamron adaptall.
...and we all know how that ended.