Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2015, 03:54 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nikon certainly gets their sensors wherever they can get them. They have use Sony, Toshiba and Aptina in the past, I believe. I wouldn't be surprised at all, if the price was right and the performance was adequate, if Nikon would buy from Samsung. But that isn't exactly the same as throwing over SLRs in favor of mirrorless cameras, which is the way a lot of people seemed to read this unverified rumor.

12-04-2015, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Nikon certainly gets their sensors wherever they can get them. They have use Sony, Toshiba and Aptina in the past, I believe. I wouldn't be surprised at all, if the price was right and the performance was adequate, if Nikon would buy from Samsung. But that isn't exactly the same as throwing over SLRs in favor of mirrorless cameras, which is the way a lot of people seemed to read this unverified rumor.
The "Samsung story" is probably just a pawn in the long-running battle between Canon, Nikon and Sony. One can see that talking to Samsung might hold some interest for Nikon even if nothing ever comes of it. Scoping out possible alternative suppliers and so on in case of an unexpected upset is just prudence really. These companies must talk to one another even if informally quite often in any case? None exists in a complete vacuum. Just one example: if Nikon wanted a high-res DSLR rival to the Canon 5DS and Sony wasn't playing nice, what else are they going to do but talk to others.
12-04-2015, 06:00 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Ricoh may find themselves closer to the front of the line when it comes to getting access to Sony's newest technology.
...or get caught in the technological crossfire...
12-04-2015, 10:08 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
...... I wouldn't be surprised at all, if the price was right and the performance was adequate, if Nikon would buy from Samsung. But that isn't exactly the same as throwing over SLRs in favor of mirrorless cameras, which is the way a lot of people seemed to read this unverified rumor.
I don't know if you are referring to me or not. But even if i were CEO of Nikon (), i wouldnt' shut down SLRs. But i would insist on one competitive mirrorless FF model to be displayed along with their numerous FF DSLR models. And then i would let the marketplace sales tell me what the consumers think. Nikon and Canon managers seem to think they can control the marketplace if they don't themselves make any large sensor mirrorless. Good luck with that But the cat's out of the bag, Sony FF mirrorless cameras are getting more popular year by year. Will DSLRs go away entirely. Of course not, there are things that DSLRs excel at. Sony only has about 10% of ILC sales and doesn't really need that many new sales to show that their concept is successful. Sony's sales gains are against a backdrop of overall declining sales for enthusiast cameras - amazing.

I even posted in the Nikon FF thread on this rumor on Dpreview. Surprisingly enough, there are several Nikon owners who think that Nikon building a large sensor mirrorless would be a good thing. Thats how far perceptions have changed.

12-04-2015, 11:13 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I don't know if you are referring to me or not. But even if i were CEO of Nikon (), i wouldnt' shut down SLRs. But i would insist on one competitive mirrorless FF model to be displayed along with their numerous FF DSLR models. And then i would let the marketplace sales tell me what the consumers think. Nikon and Canon managers seem to think they can control the marketplace if they don't themselves make any large sensor mirrorless. Good luck with that But the cat's out of the bag, Sony FF mirrorless cameras are getting more popular year by year. Will DSLRs go away entirely. Of course not, there are things that DSLRs excel at. Sony only has about 10% of ILC sales and doesn't really need that many new sales to show that their concept is successful. Sony's sales gains are against a backdrop of overall declining sales for enthusiast cameras - amazing.

I even posted in the Nikon FF thread on this rumor on Dpreview. Surprisingly enough, there are several Nikon owners who think that Nikon building a large sensor mirrorless would be a good thing. Thats how far perceptions have changed.
I definitely wasn't referring to anyone. More just speculating. Whether Nikon releases a larger sensored mirrorless camera is unrelated to this story. I think Nikon is very capable of releasing a mirrorless, smaller version of the D7200 or the D810 pretty quickly. Up till now they have gone with the V and J series mirrorless cameras and avoided larger sensors in them. Maybe that will change over time, but that is a calculation that only they can make and I think the reason they have avoided such a release till now has nothing to do with a lack of technology expertise.
12-04-2015, 05:14 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I even posted in the Nikon FF thread on this rumor on Dpreview. Surprisingly enough, there are several Nikon owners who think that Nikon building a large sensor mirrorless would be a good thing.
And you're not expecting any kind of bias or cognitive deficit to be present and skew your results?
12-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
And you're not expecting any kind of bias or cognitive deficit to be present and skew your results?
You have a very "reserved" sense of humour I read a Nikon reply today that had that old time bias to it. Think i'll stop reading and try to preserve any illusions i have left

Oddly enough, i think one of the least biased forum (in my limited experience) out there may be the Sony forum on dpreview. Several members are refugees from Canon, Nikon and yes, Pentax camps. They mostly just want advice about overcoming this problem, that problem, or what this odd symptom means Sure there are the odd troll drop-ins.

12-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #38
Pentaxian

You have a very "reserved" sense of humour I read a Nikon reply today that had that old time bias to it. Think i'll stop reading and try to preserve any illusions i have left

Oddly enough, i think one of the least biased forum (in my limited experience) out there may be the Sony forum on dpreview. Several members are refugees from Canon, Nikon and yes, Pentax camps. They mostly just want advice about overcoming this problem, that problem, or what this odd symptom means Sure there are the odd troll drop-ins.
Refugees?
12-04-2015, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Refugees?
Yes, refugees. Camera wars, it is all fun and games until someone takes a lens cap to the knee.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-04-2015 at 07:59 PM.
12-05-2015, 08:02 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Yes, refugees. Camera wars, it is all fun and games until someone takes a lens cap to the knee.
Someone fleeing persecution, war, torture or famine is a refugee. Someone switching camera brands is not a refugee. FYI.
12-05-2015, 08:58 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Someone fleeing persecution, war, torture or famine is a refugee. Someone switching camera brands is not a refugee. FYI.
I'm well aware of this...we really need a sarcasm smiley on this forum...

---------- Post added 12-06-15 at 02:36 AM ----------

no, wait, I just found a good one.,.
12-06-2015, 06:44 AM   #42
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Refugees?
Traitors!
12-06-2015, 06:56 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
Traitors!
What?
12-06-2015, 11:57 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What?
Your eyes are rolling in your head, Dsmithhfx!

I think you're being more ... um ... serious ... than the other thread participants. :-)
12-07-2015, 01:42 AM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Your eyes are rolling in your head, Dsmithhfx!

I think you're being more ... um ... serious ... than the other thread participants. :-)
Good grief! You mean there are non-serious people here? Take their names!