Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2015, 02:14 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any Panasonic LX7 users out there?

Are there any Panasonic LX7 users here?
I just got an LX7 and it is a bit confusing coming from PentaxLand but not too bad. I found a few videos and setup info. I picked it up as a travel / car camera - so I need to understand the basics but it will not be my primary camera.

12-04-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I had an LX3 for a while and thought it to be a worthwhile camera. I rather liked the ability to change formats while optimizing the pixel count (i.e. the 16:9 ratio had more pixels in width than the 4:3 ratio, but the 4:3 ration had more pixels in height). In particular I liked their implementation of high-contrast B&W -- specifically it changed the LCD to B&W so you were composing using tonal values only, something I found refreshing. Any other general Panasonic questions I'd be happy to answer.

M
12-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I had an LX3 for a while and thought it to be a worthwhile camera. I rather liked the ability to change formats while optimizing the pixel count (i.e. the 16:9 ratio had more pixels in width than the 4:3 ratio, but the 4:3 ration had more pixels in height). In particular I liked their implementation of high-contrast B&W -- specifically it changed the LCD to B&W so you were composing using tonal values only, something I found refreshing. Any other general Panasonic questions I'd be happy to answer.

M
Thanks. Did you ever use any of the conversion lenses to make it wider or longer? The implementation of the add on to allow that is so clumsy. I'm glad the Lx7 allows small simple filters (37mm) to be used without that clunky adapter. Obviously that won't work for larger conversion lenses but having both options is nice.
12-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Thanks. Did you ever use any of the conversion lenses to make it wider or longer? The implementation of the add on to allow that is so clumsy. I'm glad the Lx7 allows small simple filters (37mm) to be used without that clunky adapter. Obviously that won't work for larger conversion lenses but having both options is nice.
I had a wide-angle for the LX-3 yet rarely used it because of its size/weight (which defeats the purpose of a small/light camera). When I needed wider I simply shot panos. Here is an example of a two-image B&W pano done with the LX-3: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mjsfoto1956/5109357002

Michael

12-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I Presently I also own the LX3, but tend to replace it by a LX5 some time in the near future.

The only reason is that the LX3 does not really offer any tele range, but wide angle down to 24mm (FF).
This is quite unusual for such a small camera, and the contrary of what Pentax did with the Optio's "WA" of 38mm (FF).

The LX5 keeps the WA range of the LX3, but adds a moderate tele range.
With the IQ I am very satisfied, it is way better than of the Pentax flagship Optio A40 (which is also not bad), but of course it is also much bigger.

I do have the adapter for the LX3, but I use it only very occasionally, and just for a polarizing filter.
The original tele conversion lens for it is way too expensive, the cheap noname offers/copies are crap, and my 1.4x from Sony/Minolta gives excellent results, but is much bigger than the camera; which means, when I would need it, I will not have it with me.

The menu structure (at least of the LX3) gets intuitive once you have understood the system, but this is slightly different from what Pentax offers.
When I am now using one of my Optios, I am really missing the "Quick Menu", and the 4 user modes.

Regarding the LX7:
In case you don't own the manuals, you can download them from their FTP server

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/camera/dmclx7/dmc-lx7_en_om.pdf
ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/camera/dmclx7/dmc-lx7_en_advanced_om.pdf

Last edited by RKKS08; 12-04-2015 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Info added
12-04-2015, 05:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
What software do you (did you) use to process the lx? raw files?
Any thoughts on iResolution and iZoom?
12-04-2015, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My mother uses an LX5 for her snapshot camera, she has a lot of fun with it as it can sync with flash at 1/1600th - which is about half a stop faster than the $36,000 dollar Leica S2.

What software do you (did you) use to process the lx? raw files?
reasonably clean at low ISO, anything at or above 400 needs some dedicated scrubbing with NR software, anything at 1600 and over is pretty much useless, even for 6X4 prints. Lightroom does a good job with the RAW files.

Any thoughts on iResolution and iZoom?
Along with everything that starts with a lowercase"i" in the common zeitgeist, for serious photography I would simply experiment, see if it meets my needs ( unlikely) and put it away with all the other useless crap found on cameras these days. Stick to the PASM modes, and mutter in annoyance at why TaV mode is just a "pentax thing"

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-04-2015 at 06:40 PM.
12-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I bought the LX3 about a year ago through eBay from England, and the seller said the software got lost.
At that time, I downloaded the Panasonic raw converter, but it was (and is !) only offered for Vista and Windows7.
As I am still running all my computers with XP prof., it does not work (installation is refused by the converter itself).

I did not mind, as my sister owns a LX5, and I thought the software delivered with this would also handle the raw files of the LX3.
But she lives not in my town, and every time we have met one of us forgot about it.

And your question now reminds me to start another try.
I think I should also investigate whether there is anything available for RawTherapee or Gimp.
If I can find the time to do so, instead of lurking here in PF.

Last edited by RKKS08; 12-04-2015 at 06:49 PM.
12-05-2015, 04:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have had the LX5 for a few years now. Quite a nice little camera with decent iq especially if, as observed earlier you limit it to ISO 400, 800 at a push.
No extra lenses with mine but I did get the evf second hand recently. That does make a big difference to me - especially as I'd stopped using the camera; constant live-view bugs me!
Software wise, I never got on with silkypix that it came with. Always just used Aperture and now Lightroom , both of which do a decent job of RAW conversion.
12-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I had an LX7 for a while. Liked it a lot. Regret selling it. I liked shooting RAW, the bright lens, and the general ease of use. I did not like that it was just a bit too big for most pockets, but regret selling it, actually.
01-13-2016, 10:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I loved my LX7, but it wore out, with a failed rear control dial that left it automatic only. Panasonic's Intelligent Auto setting is very capable, however. Good images, but the details really break down under enlargement. I switched to a Fuji x10 for this class of semi-pockeable camera. It's much more involving, with manual zoom and a real OVF, and the results can stand a medium degree of pixel-peeping.
01-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I had an LX7 for a while. Liked it a lot. Regret selling it. I liked shooting RAW, the bright lens, and the general ease of use. I did not like that it was just a bit too big for most pockets, but regret selling it, actually.
Me, too.
01-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
I loved my LX7, but it wore out, with a failed rear control dial that left it automatic only. Panasonic's Intelligent Auto setting is very capable, however. Good images, but the details really break down under enlargement. I switched to a Fuji x10 for this class of semi-pockeable camera. It's much more involving, with manual zoom and a real OVF, and the results can stand a medium degree of pixel-peeping.
Is the OVF zooming? I saw a steal on the X10 recently. I also thought after looking at it that it might be too thick for pants pockets.
01-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The OVF zooms, but be aware that it only shows about 85% of the captured image.

My favorite feature of the LX7 was the handy and prominent control for aspect ratio that encourages us to consider whether 4:3 or square is a better choice for composition. Its other unique selling point is a wide angle adaptor lens that provides an impressive 18mm coverage (35mm eq.) with good quality. I can't think of another way to go that wide with a flash-friendly leaf shutter lens, can you?
01-15-2016, 09:57 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
The OVF zooms, but be aware that it only shows about 85% of the captured image.

My favorite feature of the LX7 was the handy and prominent control for aspect ratio that encourages us to consider whether 4:3 or square is a better choice for composition. Its other unique selling point is a wide angle adaptor lens that provides an impressive 18mm coverage (35mm eq.) with good quality. I can't think of another way to go that wide with a flash-friendly leaf shutter lens, can you?
No I can't - but I thought the wide angle adapter was explicitly for the LX5 and that while it can be adapted to the LX7 it wasn't "for' it. There isn't a menu option to indicate it is in use for example.