Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2015, 02:34 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Given the focal length, and speed, those shots look really good. No sure I could have achieved the same results with a K-3 (supposed to have better AF).

12-12-2015, 04:44 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I believe those shots are totally doable with a K-3, if you have skills and experience akin to osv. The Pentax lenses are there too now (ie the D FA 150-450), if you have the money.
12-12-2015, 06:29 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Given the focal length, and speed, those shots look really good. No sure I could have achieved the same results with a K-3 (supposed to have better AF).
Aw, you sound depressed, Biz-engineer.

This guy does motorsports wirh a humble K-30, so can you:

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/shooting-motorsport-with-the-pentax-k-30-22663
12-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Aw, you sound depressed, Biz-engineer.
Yeah , you are probably right, the shots above from the A7 done in sunny conditions so the K-3 AF should deliver and noise should not be an issue.

12-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #20
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i think that you could definitely do this with a k3/fa150-450, and you'd have the advantage of weather-resistant sealing, the only thing i had was tape around the lens mount, and a home-made sock around the lens :-/ everything was covered with a coat of fine sand, the wind was blowing it right in our faces.

the af in the la-ea4 adapter is ~five(?) years old now, it's 15 AF points... it's older technology than the k3 af(2013, 25 cross-type af points), so pentax looks better for af.
12-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Thinking about how small are mirror-less camera bodies are. But if lenses are as big/heavy as the one mounted on dslrs, what's the point? For photographers already equipped with a mirrorless system, is there any size/weight advantage of the optics designed for mirrorless versus lenses designed for DSLRs?
I dont know if the lenses are lighter but the bodies weigh quite a bit less. The sony a6000 is roughly half the size of canon/nikon apsc dslrs. Its really true and the a7 series is only somewhat bigger. The camera that ive been raving about, the NX1, is somewhat bigger as its dslr styled but it weighs 150 grams less. The real advantage is just not having all the bulk of a dslr. Mirrorless cameras are much thinner than their dslr counter parts. Lenses seem to way somewhat less actually now that i look at it. Samsung 16-50 weighs 1.3 pounds. Nikon's 17-55 weighs 1.6.
12-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use my A7 primarily with my old Pentax-M lenses, which makes for a small kit. The M series were made for the compact ME and MX film bodies, and so work well on the small A7. Of course manual focus, but that's all I've used for over 50 years. The Voigtlander PK to NEX adapter is the best I've found - sadly discontinued. (I have no "native" lenses for the A7, but also use some Leica lenses on it.)

12-14-2015, 06:02 PM   #23

Ma grain of salt...or sand ;)

As a mirrorless user (E-PL5 and now E-M10), i will give my point of view.
First, there are Contrast AF (most mirrorless) only AND hybrid Contrast/Phase (on sensor) AF cameras.
E-M1 and GH4, to name a few.
E-M1 can even use old reflex Four Third lenses...and sometimes faster than native camera.

Basically, mirrorless Contrast AF is really fast, but on S-AF only.
With C-AF, E-M1 use Phase (better). GH4 probably too.
C-AF is very bad on Contrast AF only.

About bulk/size, m43 can be really nice (crop factor 2X for telephoto, amazing small wide angle lenses...).
On an APS-C (Sony, Fuji...), you will not gain a lot until you use pancakes/small zooms.

That's why i opted for Olympus (and sensor stab).
I can use a small 40-150mm, giving me 80-300 eq. And with the size of a 18-55 aps-c kit. Don't even speak about 20mm (40 eq) pancake
I don't do much action, so Contrast only E-M10 is not a problem to me. I put C-AF to focus priority. I get only 3 fps, but in focus. In S-AF, 9fps but no refocus between shots. Need to short burst/being parallel to subject.

I will learn action manual focus, too

To make it short : it depends (as usual) on your needs. Just don't expect any APS-C system being much smaller because you "just" removed mirror

PS : i did a funny comparison : taking only Sony sensors specs on DxO, same generation.
-FF to APS-C : you loose 1 stop ISO, 1 stop dynamic and 1 color bitdepth
-APS-C to M43 : same
12-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
I dont know if the lenses are lighter but the bodies weigh quite a bit less. The sony a6000 is roughly half the size of canon/nikon apsc dslrs. Its really true and the a7 series is only somewhat bigger.
I'd rather go for FF or APSC MILC body. Now, I have the impression that the gain of size/weight of MILC body and AF tracking limitation is worth for short FL. When used with long tele lenses, the size and weight of the lens itself is such that it requires a camera body with sufficient handling and fast autofocus for tracking.

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I use my A7 primarily with my old Pentax-M lenses, which makes for a small kit. The M series were made for the compact ME and MX film bodies, and so work well on the small A7. Of course manual focus, but that's all I've used for over 50 years. The Voigtlander PK to NEX adapter is the best I've found - sadly discontinued. (I have no "native" lenses for the A7, but also use some Leica lenses on it.)
I understand. Old manual lenses are rather compact for their max aperture (they do not have any AF motor or stabilization) and the in body stability of the A7 makes it attractive to use with M lenses. Definitely interesting for manual focus.

QuoteOriginally posted by gLOW-x Quote
About bulk/size, m43 can be really nice (crop factor 2X for telephoto, amazing small wide angle lenses...).
Yes, u4/3 offers a substantial weight/size gain over APCS/FF, but I'm afraid that I wouldn't be satisfied with the IQ.
12-15-2015, 03:32 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I'd rather go for FF or APSC MILC body. Now, I have the impression that the gain of size/weight of MILC body and AF tracking limitation is worth for short FL. When used with long tele lenses, the size and weight of the lens itself is such that it requires a camera body with sufficient handling and fast autofocus for tracking.

I understand. Old manual lenses are rather compact for their max aperture (they do not have any AF motor or stabilization) and the in body stability of the A7 makes it attractive to use with M lenses. Definitely interesting for manual focus.

Yes, u4/3 offers a substantial weight/size gain over APCS/FF, but I'm afraid that I wouldn't be satisfied with the IQ.
My guess is that in the end, a lot of folks go with a MILC for its modernity and adaptability. You get a lot of things that traditional DSLRs don't have, either often or at all, and short-registration MILCs are adaptable in the sense that a lot of lenses from different brands can be mounted on them (with mixed results, of course). There may be some weight/size saving in the smaller formats but by the time one gets to FF and big long lenses, I doubt it is all that significant. Having used a MILC for a few months now, I have no plans to buy another DSLR. I would miss too many things - focus peaking and exposure warnings in the VF, good wifi and apps, automatic focus stacking among them. In my case I've found M43 a very acceptable compromise, not least because Olympus make very good lenses. One result is that I can get better results in low light than I can with a K3 because I can shoot wide open on the Olympus at very low shutter speeds thanks to their IBIS, whereas I need to stop down quite a bit on the K3 to obtain the same level of acuity across the frame and use slightly higher shutter speeds because the Pentax IBIS is not quite so good. Technique matters a lot here, of course, but on the whole I get better results with the Oly.

It's all horses for courses. I can well see that M43 wouldn't produce the goods for some folks and nor, perhaps, would APS-C. For me, enjoyment comes first and I know I would not enjoy lugging big stuff around. For those who don't mind, a Sony A7RII and some of those new Zeiss FE lenses look pretty hard to beat, imho, even if not for every kind of photography. But, er hem, you will pay $$ for it all.
12-15-2015, 11:35 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Fuji mirrorless lenses are big
Thats a generalization that isn't necessarily true. Look at the pentax 14mm vs the Fuji 14mm, pentax vs Fuji 18-55mm's, the Fuji 35mm f1.4, and some other pancakes that escape my memory.
Another point of comparison is the Fuji 23mm f1.4 is much smaller than the Canikon 24mm f1.4 lenses (the K-mount variety, if it existed, must be a similar size). I could easily fit a 4 lens fuji kit with my x-t1 in my domke bag.
But then again, i actually owned both a Fuji and Pentax kit instead of regurgitating stuff I read online.

Last edited by cali92rs; 12-15-2015 at 11:50 PM.
12-15-2015, 11:53 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Thats a generalization that isn't necessarily true. Look at the pentax 14mm vs the Fuji 14mm, pentax vs Fuji 18-55mm's, the Fuji 35mm f1.4, and some other pancakes that escape my memory.
Another point of comparison is the Fuji 23mm f1.4, which is much smaller than the Pentax FA 24mm f2.0, despite being a stop faster. I could easily fit a 4 lens fuji kit with my x-t1 in my domke bag.
But then again, i actually owned both a Fuji and Pentax kit instead of regurgitating stuff I read online.
Relax. Given that we are in a thread discussing mirrorless, I would think it evident that my comment about Fuji lenses being "big" was made in relation to other mirrorless systems, most particularly m4/3... not compared with Pentax.

It's a shame that, instead of taking a shot at me, you did not simply request clarification on my part.
12-16-2015, 09:19 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Relax. Given that we are in a thread discussing mirrorless, I would think it evident that my comment about Fuji lenses being "big" was made in relation to other mirrorless systems, most particularly m4/3... not compared with Pentax.

It's a shame that, instead of taking a shot at me, you did not simply request clarification on my part.
This was the OP:
QuoteQuote:
Thinking about how small are mirror-less camera bodies are. But if lenses are as big/heavy as the one mounted on dslrs, what's the point? For photographers already equipped with a mirrorless system, is there any size/weight advantage of the optics designed for mirrorless versus lenses designed for DSLRs?
i.e. Why go with mirrorless if the lenses are as big as DSLR's?
My point was that, no, they are not as big as DSLR lenses.

I apologize for the snark directed at you.
12-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #29
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you shot portraits, you will notice people are (in general) more relax in front of a smaller "mirrorless". Change into a dSLR and most subject will start to tense up, and may also annoyed by the dSLR mirror flapping noise.
12-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
If you shot portraits, you will notice people are (in general) more relax in front of a smaller "mirrorless". Change into a dSLR and most subject will start to tense up, and may also annoyed by the dSLR mirror flapping noise.
I found this to be more about the size of the lens. Put a DA 40 on my K3 and people give me relaxed visages. Put 50-135 on and they tense up. This does not matter if you spend enough time with them relaxing them. It seems more of an issue with very informal shots.