Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2016, 05:01 AM   #46
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
I think I'm just being realistic in what I said. But nowhere have I said "Pentax is doomed" or even intended to say that. This is a conclusion, and if it is yours, I respect that. But don't put words in my mouth, because you're not me.

But you know what? Yeah you're right. I relish on the so-called fact that Pentax is doomed, because I have an K-3 and about 8 Pentax lenses. You're right that I want them to fail, because I want my stuff to become obsolete and superseeded by other stuff.

Really, in what universe does that make sense? I'm tired of you putting words in my mouth man. You're not me, Stop it.
Take it easy and have a cup of coffee together Starbase and D1NO. it is easy for you both. At least your are living in the same city ! May be I will join you to have a nice Pentax owners Chat and a cup of coffee or two.

Last edited by krgroothuis; 01-06-2016 at 08:26 AM.
01-06-2016, 07:44 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I think I'm just being realistic in what I said. But nowhere have I said "Pentax is doomed" or even intended to say that. This is a conclusion, and if it is yours, I respect that. But don't put words in my mouth, because you're not me.

But you know what? Yeah you're right. I relish on the so-called fact that Pentax is doomed, because I have an K-3 and about 8 Pentax lenses. You're right that I want them to fail, because I want my stuff to become obsolete and superseeded by other stuff.

Really, in what universe does that make sense? I'm tired of you putting words in my mouth man. You're not me, Stop it.
You have a funny way of showing your love fore the brand. Always criticizing no confidence, other brands are always better without question. If you were to raise your kids that way you would screw their lives up good.
01-06-2016, 08:24 AM   #48
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
For the first time I actually have some Nikon envy.
So did I - back to my senses now though
01-06-2016, 08:32 AM   #49
Banned

The love don't come cheap. D500 is listed for 2369 euro without lens. That is about the same as for K-3 with 16-50/50-135.

01-06-2016, 08:36 AM   #50
Veteran Member

You don't need to exactly plan your RAW bursts anymore if the buffer can hold 20 seconds worth of images. Edge-to edge AF point coverage means you can use tracking with focus-and-recompose to eliminate AF errors due to the recomposing (if the edge AF points are accurate too). Better integration with portable devices via bluetooth is also very welcome beyond sharing unedited photos (at least it is for me).
A man who shoots like I do. It would be really nice to not have all my fast moving objects center frame and have to crop after the fact for artistic purposes. It would be nice if my camera kept up with my panning skills (or lack thereof on some days). 153 edge to edge AF points SHOULD make the camera a whole lot more intuitive, which is what I desperately want. I don't want to have to use work arounds due to poor AF performance. It's like trying to shoot a weapon with a badly aligned sight/scope AND inconsistent trigger. I have enough to worry about when shooting fast moving targets with long lenses.

Additionally, I REALLY want full HD tethering. Not a useless 300x600 pixel image. I want to be able to use every pixel of my 2560x1600 12" tablet for live view and/or to review my shot. If I don't have to lie down in icy streams or mud anymore to get low angle landscape shots, I'd be a happy camper. If I can shoot and review in the field and check things like critical focus, I have a chance to reshoot right there, not have to plan for a return trip a year or two later.
01-06-2016, 09:11 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

People need to be reasonable in expectations. Just because a camera offers 2,000,000 iso doesn't mean that it is usable. Current best high iso performer for APS-C sensor is D7200, which had a sports iso score of 1333. Maybe the D500 will get up to a sports score of 2000 -- that would be a significant boost -- but most of the high end iso is for the marketing sheets and has nothing to do with real world shooting.
01-06-2016, 09:23 AM   #52
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
People need to be reasonable in expectations. Just because a camera offers 2,000,000 iso doesn't mean that it is usable. Current best high iso performer for APS-C sensor is D7200, which had a sports iso score of 1333. Maybe the D500 will get up to a sports score of 2000 -- that would be a significant boost -- but most of the high end iso is for the marketing sheets and has nothing to do with real world shooting.
Agreed, ISO spec is more or less meaningless without knowing the noise levels.

---------- Post added 01-06-2016 at 05:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
You have a funny way of showing your love fore the brand.
I have no love for the brand, because it is just a brand. I don't love my Panasonic TV, my Samsung microwave, or other things. I don't even love my NAD pre/power amplifier or my Dynaudio speakers. I love taking photos, watching a good TV show or listening to songs that mean something to me. It's what I do that is important, and more than that, the satisfaction I get out of that. Not the brand of the equipment I use in the process.

---------- Post added 01-06-2016 at 05:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by krgroothuis Quote
Take it easy and have a cup of coffee together Starbase and D1NO. it is easy for you both. At least your are living in the same city ! May be I will join you to have a nice Pentax owners Chat and a cup of coffee or two.
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to drink a cup of coffee with someone whose only communication with me has been like this.

01-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I love taking photos,
Then do that instead of complaining about stuff, or maybe you love to complain more than taking photo's. If you'd truly want to live by that mantra we'd not see you here as much. Just admit it you are a gear head despite of all your efforts not to be one.
01-06-2016, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice move by Nikon. They kept the megapickles to a reasonable number and focused on performance.
01-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The D500 looks mighty, mighty impressive. I think the AF will be kick ass. But, I read a review by a concert photographer who got to use it but couldn't publish his findings till the announcement. According to him, the high ISO performance is so amazing that he felt like he was shooting with a FF camera.

The K-3 may be the best crop sensor bargain out there, but I think it is going to get trounced on AF (no shock there) and IQ by the D500, albeit at a much higher price tag.
01-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The market has been moving up stream to premium products for the last few years. If the AF lives up the they hype Nikon is going to sell a lot of these.

I hope Ricoh is taking notes.
01-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #57
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
The D500 looks mighty, mighty impressive. I think the AF will be kick ass. But, I read a review by a concert photographer who got to use it but couldn't publish his findings till the announcement. According to him, the high ISO performance is so amazing that he felt like he was shooting with a FF camera.
I do wonder if they made the sensor up to quality (relative, since it is smaller) to D810 with extra big dynamic range.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 01-06-2016 at 11:05 AM.
01-06-2016, 10:44 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I do wonder if they made the sensor up to quality (relatie, since it is smaller) to D810 with extra big dynamic range.
I doubt it...i bet it has more to do with moving a lot of megapixels FAST.
This is a sports shooting/BIF machine where you will be shooting a lot at ISO 1600 and 3200 to stop motion. At those ISOs even the D810's DR is pretty limited. Besides, DR would be way down the list of my priorities if I were a pro sports shooter. Getting the athlete in focus would be number one.
01-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The market has been moving up stream to premium products for the last few years. If the AF lives up the they hype Nikon is going to sell a lot of these.

I hope Ricoh is taking notes.
Sure but chances are the D5x00 level outsells all the higher levels added together. There's a very small market for folks willing to spend 2k on any camera, especially an APS-C one, and at least the same again or double it on lenses. Besides, Pentax has only a couple of the long, expensive lenses on which the D500 is largely predicated (imho). The K3 or D7200 level is likely much closer to where plenty of sales are for "upper middle" items - i.e. a quality camera for much more general use. I suspect that the difference in IQ between a D5500 or a Kxxx and a D500 at regular ISOs and with fairly MOR lenses on both won't be all that great at all. It may not even be discernible or at base ISO favour the K3 level. The D500 will come into its own with fast action requiring good tracking and more extreme, higher-ISO scenarios. Great if you need it but $$$ if you don't.

Last edited by mecrox; 01-06-2016 at 12:30 PM.
01-06-2016, 11:19 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Blinding specs ... did I recently mention that I love my K5?

I agree with many things kooks and others say. The cameras are developed for sports shooters. Think you don't want to know what I'd like to get with my next Pentax APS purchase?!

But maybe I go Pentax FF next - I like big OVFs … we’ll see what the future brings ... soon.