Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #31
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
These are a mighty impressive pair of camera's. For the first time I actually have some Nikon envy. I doubt I'll ever be in the market for a $6500 camera, but that D5 is droolworthy from a spec POV. hopefully the next iteration of the Pentax K3 will leapfrog the D500 back to the top of the pile.
My thoughts exactly, and that gives the K-3II successor a lot to live up to! But it can be done, i'm sure, and very exciting! Also, I think the 1dx is slightly better than the D5

01-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Also, I think the 1dx is slightly better than the D5
I agree partially... to lazy to explain though.
01-05-2016, 05:41 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You could buy a K-3, K-3 II and a couple of limited primes for $2000 these days. D500 looks like a good camera, but it is very pricey.
01-05-2016, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

All my subjects move at exactly 0kmph or 0mph (product photography), so, im just hoping the FF can match the IQ of the D810, and maybe came close at the 645z with the pixelshift, all under $2000.00, these cameras look impressive (on the paper) but overkill for my style of photography, my K3 still can do the job, for 1/4 of that price

01-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #35
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
You could buy a K-3, K-3 II and a couple of limited primes for $2000 these days. D500 looks like a good camera, but it is very pricey.
Different horse for a different course. D500 should stack up nicely for sports shooting with it's 153point AF, 200 frame RAW buffer, and 10fps... it's bred for sports/action.

The K-3 is more an all-around, rugged DX body. They don't compare. The D7200 compares more closely with the K-3 though. Much like the D810 doesn't compare with the D4S or D5.

I think Ricoh is releasing a D810 competitor and not a D5 one in their upcoming FF.. not too many people have 6500 dollars for a single body even if it focuses at -4 EV and 12 FPS with autofocus (14 fps without).. these are their toppest top tier that Pentax doesn't have a dog in that race (and that is OK).

I'm more interested in seeing how the D500 performs at high ISO values (say 1600 to 12800). The range for it is 100 - 51200 but expandable to 1,640,000

If this DX body is usable up to even 6400 ISO realistically, it will be as good as FF bodies were just a few years ago.. and that would be progress. But I'm not holding my breath.
01-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I also noted that while the K-5, K-3 series have a magnesium alloy body, the D500 has just some magnesium plates mixed with carbon fiber plates in the body. I'm sure those interested in the engineering of the camera bodies can provide better detail, than can I.

I'd prefer to have the Pentax magnesium alloy body.
01-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #37

The k3 isnt new anymore you cant compare the k3 with the d500 anymore, I paid 1400 for the k3 when it came out. thats 600 bucks less than the d500... For 10fps + 153 points for extra $600 thats a WHOLE lot more camera.
Its going to be very interesting what ricoh does now that the bar is set this high. I like the way cameras are going! Curious to see if the full frame even comes close performance wise with the d500. I expect the bigger sensor to stand up image quality wise but 153 points? I cant see pentax using even half that.

01-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #38
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by harrisonww Quote
The k3 isnt new anymore you cant compare the k3 with the d500 anymore, I paid 1400 for the k3 when it came out. thats 600 bucks less than the d500... For 10fps + 153 points for extra $600 thats a WHOLE lot more camera.
Its going to be very interesting what ricoh does now that the bar is set this high. I like the way cameras are going! Curious to see if the full frame even comes close performance wise with the d500. I expect the bigger sensor to stand up image quality wise but 153 points? I cant see pentax using even half that.

That is also the other thing.. the bar is continually raised.. and with Ricoh making delay after delay, is the hardware they specced for release comparable in today's market. It will surely be interesting!!
01-05-2016, 09:35 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you sure about that? The K-3 has nearly 20% more pixels and IBIS. To unilaterally state that the D500 is "a WHOLE lot more camera" is not very sensible. Depending on one's photographic priorities, the K-3 (or K-3 II) maybe wind up being "more camera".

QuoteQuote:
Pentax FF isn't a competitor to the D500, so the 153 AF points doesn't matter.
01-05-2016, 10:33 PM   #40
Veteran Member

seems the Spec Wars are far from over...

and if Nikon comes out with updated pro lenses after that then they'd have built the " * "-killer too.
01-05-2016, 11:14 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That is also the other thing.. the bar is continually raised.. and with Ricoh making delay after delay, is the hardware they specced for release comparable in today's market. It will surely be interesting!!
But I think all the manufacturers delayed for hardware reasons.

The Milbeaut processor that for the first time can do 4k video was only released in October, for example.

Nikon have been a user of them in the past, so have Pentax.
01-06-2016, 12:57 AM   #42
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
selective quoting. You know what I mean even when you pretend not to
I think I'm just being realistic in what I said. But nowhere have I said "Pentax is doomed" or even intended to say that. This is a conclusion, and if it is yours, I respect that. But don't put words in my mouth, because you're not me.

But you know what? Yeah you're right. I relish on the so-called fact that Pentax is doomed, because I have an K-3 and about 8 Pentax lenses. You're right that I want them to fail, because I want my stuff to become obsolete and superseeded by other stuff.

Really, in what universe does that make sense? I'm tired of you putting words in my mouth man. You're not me, Stop it.
01-06-2016, 12:59 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I dont think that you can compare a D500 with the Pentax FF.. you are talking about 2 completely different cameras. What is good about the D500? ISO up to 1000000? mm i cant imagine how an APS-C can handle that kind of noise and deliver a usable image, 10fps? well.. that is just 1.7 more than the old K3.. 4K video? this is nice but for video shooters, if you do just photography with ocational videos a 4k doesnt mean nothing much.. 153 focus points.. many many many photographers just use 1.. unless you are an action photographer that many focus points doesnt mean nothing either.. Bluetooth? thats nice.. in case you want to share an unedited image but thats it .... And all that for around $1300 more than the K3/K3ii .. IMO.. this camera is good for SOME people, but is not a walkaround camera. Studio shooters wont use the features that include, portrait photogrphers either, fashion either, landscape dont think so ..

IMO the Pentax FF will be more like a general porpuse FF camera, not such a niche cameras as the D500 or D5 are
01-06-2016, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just a big WOW, I want one.
01-06-2016, 04:44 AM   #45
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
I dont think that you can compare a D500 with the Pentax FF.. you are talking about 2 completely different cameras. What is good about the D500? ISO up to 1000000? mm i cant imagine how an APS-C can handle that kind of noise and deliver a usable image, 10fps? well.. that is just 1.7 more than the old K3..
Actually 1.1 if you believe DPR (in their K-3 review they measured the speed at 8.9fps).

4K video? this is nice but for video shooters, if you do just photography with ocational videos a 4k doesnt mean nothing much.. 153 focus points.. many many many photographers just use 1.. unless you are an action photographer that many focus points doesnt mean nothing either.. Bluetooth? thats nice.. in case you want to share an unedited image but thats it ....
If photos are transferred to my iPad mini that's in my photo bag, it could be very nice for me. When I travel, I take my camera, SD cards and an iPad. I put my photos on the iPad to make a selection in Photosmith. If the camera can do that for me I don't have to wait, as transferring the photos can take a long time.

And all that for around $1300 more than the K3/K3ii .. IMO.. this camera is good for SOME people, but is not a walkaround camera. Studio shooters wont use the features that include, portrait photogrphers either, fashion either, landscape dont think so ..
Agreed, it's an expensive camera, above the level of a 7D II, K-3 or D7200. It's more than I'm willing to pay for it. But it is exciting in the sense that this offers features never-before-seen on an APS-C DSLR (at least to my knowledge), which could change some aspects when taking photos. E.g. you don't need to exactly plan your RAW bursts anymore if the buffer can hold 20 seconds worth of images. Edge-to edge AF point coverage means you can use tracking with focus-and-recompose to eliminate AF errors due to the recomposing (if the edge AF points are accurate too). Better integration with portable devices via bluetooth is also very welcome beyond sharing unedited photos (at least it is for me).