Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #46
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Would you pay a shrink if you can get help for free on the internet?
Hell, here we have Otis at our disposal 24/7......Why would anyone pay for expert advice when we all know Otis is never wrong?

Regards!

01-09-2016, 12:12 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Veteran Member

There's really no need to disrespect the Fuiji system. They've gone from nothing to a much respected system in just a handful of years. They're a little thin on the long end but they've got a nice lens lineup otherwise.
01-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #48

Original Poster
Just noticed this got moved to non-Pentax lenses. Well, I actually think this is more about Pentax lenses, their advantages and disadvantages vs Fuji. E.g. learned about why Pentax tele lenses smaller. One of the reasons for this thread is to see how Pentax lineup is featured vs Fuji's, already several interesting lenses have come up.

A+
01-09-2016, 12:58 PM - 5 Likes   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had you trolled less in your OP, the thread might have not been moved and probably would be more productive.

01-09-2016, 01:51 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
There's really no need to disrespect the Fuiji system.
The only disrespect mentioned is the OP's regarding Pentax.

Thanks to whomever moved this to the proper thread
01-09-2016, 01:52 PM - 3 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

I think if you want light, wide and fast, then Fuji makes sense, but depending on your choices, it doesn't seem less expensive than Pentax at all. Sticking to primes, here are some current B&H prices:
- DA21: $362 // Fuji 23mm: $900
- DA15: $546 // Fuji 16mm: $999
- K-3: $729 // Fuji X-T1: $1300

Total cost: Pentax $1638 // Fuji $3199

That's double the cost for the Fuji system. So to me, between Pentax and Fuji it's more like this: "Fast/Wide/Light/Cheap" - pick three.

- Fast/Wide/(relatively) Light? With Fuji but it won't be cheap.
- Fast/Wide/Cheap? Pentax with Samyang glass (e.g. 16mm F/2, 574g) or the DA14 F/2.8 (420g) if that's fast enough, but it won't be very light.
- Wide/Cheap/Light? Pentax DA15 & 21, but not fast.
- Fast/Light/Cheap? Maybe Pentax with legacy glass (e.g. Sigma Superwide II 24mm F/2.8 or Kiron 24mm F/2), or a Fuji body with adapted legacy lenses but it won't be very wide (or even that fast).

That being said there are some nice wide, fast and reasonably light Samyang lenses that are only available for mirrorless mounts, like the 12mm F/2 (245g) and the 21mm F/1.4 (290g). I've been tempted to pick up a used X-A1 precisely for those, but right now I'm toughing it out with the Sigma 10-20mm F/4-5.6 on the wide end. Again, not fast and not small, but quite inexpensive.

It would be really nice for Pentax to release a new D-FA 24mm F/2 sometime not too long after the K-1. But judging by the old FA* 24mm F/2, it won't be that small...
01-09-2016, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
The only disrespect mentioned is the OP's regarding Pentax.
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Had you trolled less in your OP, the thread might have not been moved and probably would be more productive.
I don't think the OP was intending disrespect as much as he was proud of his Fuji gear. If he had intended disrespect, I'm pretty sure we would have seen Otis in this thread by now, and he seems to be out there in a tree fast asleep, not worrying about Fuji or any other competitor. He said he was going to be dreaming of the new FF Pentax......something the Fuji guys are not able to do currently....
Regards!

01-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Making a statement "I don't know why anyone would make a investment in Pentax etc." In a Pentax thread forum to me is disrespectful.
01-09-2016, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #54
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
For those of you owning Fuji systems as well as Pentax, how can you justify Pentax investment?
suppose you are into macro photography: how can you justify Fujifilm investment?
suppose you are into bird hunting: how can you justify Fujifilm investment?
suppose you are into sport photography: how can you justify Fujifilm/Pentax investment?
suppose you are into landscape photography: how can you justify APS-C or so-called FF investment?

the list could be endless, the answer is simple: you are on a budget, you need a compromise.
01-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Making a statement "I don't know why anyone would make a investment in Pentax etc." In a Pentax thread forum to me is disrespectful.
Well, Old Runner Guy, you forced me to wake Otis and consult with him over this. Here is Otis' report......

".......the OP stated that he had just purchased a Pentax K3 (and have just upgraded to K-3II) and then went on to admire his own intelligence at owning a Fuji system over Pentax. This is not your "Big Brain Thinking" in my opinion, spending that much cash on a Pentax when you could have bought more Fuji lenses? Looking at his intelligence level, I just figured he wasn't worth my time, and he wasn't. If I hadn't been disturbed I would still be asleep in that treetop and dreaming of the new Pentax FF camera and all the glorious handsome squirrel shots it will be producing. Yes, if I wasn't in a PC mood, I might call the OP an idiot to make such a post, but as it is I'm in a good mood today!"

Best Regards!
Otis Squirrel

Disclaimer:
I am not responsible for the opinions of Otis Squirrel...although I do admit he is seldom, if ever, wrong!

Regards!
Rupert
01-09-2016, 04:30 PM   #56

Original Poster
Let's not go overboard here, the question was an investment in systems and various parameters of the systems were mentioned. Lots of useful information surfaced and meaningful debates ensued. Let's leave the questions of respect and intelligence level to squirrels, who are good at it. (Squirrels are quietly ignored from now on -- said Milo the Wombat. But don't repeat it!)

A+

Last edited by braver; 01-09-2016 at 04:53 PM.
01-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Let's leave the questions of respect and intelligence level to squirrels, who are good at it.
I think that was done?.....and yep, squirrels like to go straight to it, no pussyfooting around with their opinions! Otis further stated, in private of course, so don't repeat this, that the OP was indeed a Troll, and that if I couldn't see it, it was time for some new glasses.

Regards!
01-09-2016, 04:41 PM   #58

Original Poster
Thanks again guys who shed useful light earlier with numbers and examples. Lots of great ideas on how to appreciate the two systems in a complementary way. Basically, when I need speed and compactness, Pentax shines in tele and Fuji in wide, from my current standpoint. Also due to the different character I prefer to have diverse renditions of similar subjects.

Cheers,
A+

Last edited by braver; 01-09-2016 at 04:51 PM.
01-09-2016, 05:04 PM - 2 Likes   #59
Veteran Member

Guys -- I know it will hurt your feelings, but truth is important. I've been Pentax user since K10D in 2007, and have just upgraded to K-3II, via K-7 in 2010 and K-5 in 2012 (a silver one with the tiniest 40mm lens).

In 2011 I got my first Fuji, X-100, and fell in love. X-Pro1 was a blast, and then X-T1 and X100T. I got almost all Fuji lenses in existence.

They are metal, have aperture rings, very small, and very fast. You get 35mm, 23mm, 16mm, all at f/1.4, 56mm at f/1.2, 90mm and 18mm both at f/2.0 and so on.

I had the FA 31mm and FA 77mm at respectable f/1.8.

Now, as I'm awaiting the FF and upgraded to K-3II meanwhile, I needed to catch up in the 14/16mm and 23mm departments. All I see is a 15mm and 21mm at ridiculously slow apertures. With the B&H deals they are a bit cheaper than Fuji counterparts, but much, much slower. Only 100mm at f/2.8 looks good in those deals, and perhaps 20-40mm at 2.8-4.0.

For those of you owning Fuji systems as well as Pentax, how can you justify Pentax investment?

Cheers,
A+

P.S. Obviously I'm a Pentaxian so the title is a bit overgeneralized and exaggerated for polemic purposes.
The Fuji system is newer and designed from the ground up to be APS-C. It has some obvious advantages. The X-T1 is a great camera, but its still not quit as good as the K-3. On the lens side, Fuji has done a wonderful job getting the lens line-up filled out with top quality modern lenses, and Pentax users will have a wait a few more years before Ricoh can catch up and modernize the line up. I do think that Ricoh is going to catch up with the lenses, and Fuji is going to continue to improve their mirrorless bodies. You can't go wrong with either system.
01-09-2016, 05:31 PM   #60

Original Poster
Thanks Winder. With the great lowlight capabilities of K-3II I think I can complement my Pentax lineup with 15,21,20-40 and be OK in wide for now. Don't need super wide. Hard not to snatch the 100 too, all of these having deals on B&H...

There's something to be said for optical viewfinder, mirror or X100T OVF. It always surprises me how different they are, but having an optical one is key.

A+

Last edited by braver; 01-09-2016 at 09:03 PM.