Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2016, 06:19 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon 1 pulled from Best Buy

So I stopped in a BB to look at the displays and was surprised to no longer see the Nikon 1 represented. They used to have a special Nikon supplied endcap display with big posters. Now, nothing.

I asked and was told by the amazingly helpful BB blue shirt that BB corporate dumped the Nikon 1 due to "poor sales". Seems like a lot of fancy displays paid for by Nikon went in the dumpster.

01-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Huh. I've been intrigued by the 1 system, but just too damn expensive. $1000 for the 70-300/4.5-5.6 lens, for example.

It's a capable system, though. A couple years ago my pal - and PF member - Kyteflyer did some fine reportage work with the Nikon V1 that was featured on Steve Huff's site: Grassfire with the Nikon V1 by Sue Wotton – STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
01-13-2016, 08:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, it is an intriguing system. Pricey and with a lot of different models. But in some ways what I wish the Pentax Q was. The 1" sensor is very interesting.

I was interested in the AW model, supposed to be waterproof for snorkling. Seems to have been a lot of failures and complaints though.
01-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's too bad, seemed like a neat system. I agree, the WR one looked great.

01-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yes, it is an intriguing system. Pricey and with a lot of different models. But in some ways what I wish the Pentax Q was. The 1" sensor is very interesting.
I have a feeling that if Pentax ever decides to resurrect the Q system in a meaningful way, it will have to be with the 1" sensor. Maybe it will have a "crop" mode to use with the current Q lenses, similar to how the FF will operate with APS-C lenses.
01-14-2016, 04:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is a tough thing. It was surprisingly big, for the size sensor it had in it. On the other hand, Nikon put a lot of effort into making these camera solid performers.

I just think that a lot of folks would end up choosing a four thirds camera/glass over the 1 series if they are looking for a small ILC with high image quality.
01-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Nikon seemed to struggle positioning the 1 against their own consumer DSLR, which is a shame since it's a nice system. I've been holding onto my V1 and just waiting for the next top-level camera (V4?) to incorporate some of the 1" sensor improvements that Sony has introduced with their evolving RX compacts. Still, the V1 has done well by me and l've gotten many photos published with it. This one may be the largest:

Nikon 1 V1 in print, in Vermont
by John Flores, on Flickr

Or this one:

Nikon 1 V1 in Kentucky

IIRC, I let the camera AF this rigged shot. AF is still the fastest of any mirrorless camera that I've used, although I haven't used any Panasonics with DFD. And I have to be honest and say that it's faster than my fastest Pentax the K-3.

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I have a feeling that if Pentax ever decides to resurrect the Q system in a meaningful way, it will have to be with the 1" sensor. Maybe it will have a "crop" mode to use with the current Q lenses, similar to how the FF will operate with APS-C lenses.
I'm not so sure about that. I just got a cheap used Panasonic GM1 with an obviously much larger (four-thirds) sensor.

Two ways to travel light

What's interesting is that the usability of the Q is miles ahead of the GM1 and that if you check DXO the only place where the Q lags is in low light. In good light, the cameras are darn close. And in low light, the Q has a trick up its sleeve - image stabilization.

I fully expect sensor tech to continue to improve to the point where we are getting clean ISO1600 from the Q.

01-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'm not so sure about that. I just got a cheap used Panasonic GM1 with an obviously much larger (four-thirds) sensor.

Two ways to travel light

What's interesting is that the usability of the Q is miles ahead of the GM1 and that if you check DXO the only place where the Q lags is in low light. In good light, the cameras are darn close. And in low light, the Q has a trick up its sleeve - image stabilization.

I fully expect sensor tech to continue to improve to the point where we are getting clean ISO1600 from the Q.
Excellent pics as usual, John.

What I mean by my comment, "I have a feeling that if Pentax ever decides to resurrect the Q system in a meaningful way, it will have to be with the 1" sensor," is that the 1/1.7" sensor simply may not be further developed in the coming years, leaving the 1" sensor as the de facto standard for P&S. A m4/3-sized sensor could find its way into a model with the Q designation, but IMO that camera would not be a Q in spirit.

I wonder if the Nikon 1 system is going to be pared back due to the (rumored) release of 3 Coolpix P&S with 1" sensors, covering a range of 18mm to 500mm (equiv)?