Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2016, 05:10 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I remember it being pointed out to me years ago (figures updated) that even if you're shooting even 16 fps at 1/1000s, the shutter will only be open for 0.016s, or 1.6% of the time. Of course most things don't move that fast in reality that you won't get close to the perfect moment at that frame rate, but it's a sobering thought nonetheless.

01-31-2016, 05:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the issue is the file sizes involved. Sports cameras, whether full frame or APS-C, don't usually push the envelope when it comes to megapixels. Both the D500 and D5 are 20 megapixels and for that reason they are able to push their frame rates up a lot higher than if they were 36 or 42 megapixels. I suppose it all comes back to the fact that all cameras are compromises and if you need faster frame rates, you are willing to have smaller file sizes and fewer megapixels as a result.
Yes, I think that's about it. If you'd calculate the bit rate of the K-3 (24Mp@8.3FPS) and D500 (20Mp@10FPS), I don't think they are technically far away, just a different trade-off. Photographing everything with one camera system (DSLR), it's can deliver good results, but never as good as a system combo specialized for a single domain (I'd thinking of the A7RII DR, and size for landscape/portrait only , or 7DII for birding). For photogs willing to have the best IQ, It may make sense to have different systems.
01-31-2016, 11:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
High fps is also handy for panorama mode shooting, which every device from smart-phones to pro FFs offers today.

High fps is also handy or required for HDR modes, various extended bracketing features (including some of the drive modes offered by Pentax like 'Interval Composite' or 'Multi-Exposure'), plus Sony burst shooting modes like 'Handheld Twilight', 'Anti-Motion Blur' and 'Multi-frame NR', which rely on rapidly capturing a burst of images and combining them in camera.

So high fps is not just for sports shooting.
I hadn't made that connection - but it makes sense that it would be related. Doing individual shots still gives some advantages: RAW, higher bit depth, as Sony circumvents both to enable in body performance. I don't know about other mfrs. On the other hand - the convenience might lead the shooter to try a shot they wouldn't do otherwise.
02-01-2016, 06:22 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Thats not the case with the FF however, an interesting anomaly. While the A6000 was at 11 fps and the Nex 6 was even at 10 fps, the Sony A7X were at generally 5fps. Nikon FF were similarly down graded to 5 fps in most cases, except for perhaps D4. The D4 was at 14fps and D5 appears to be even faster. I don't know where the Canon machines are at.
No doubt Nikon cripples cameras but sometimes it is limitations of moving data through a bus and battery life. So I suspect for a given engine in a camera there are limits. But I don't know the whole story.

11 fps x 16MP = 5 fps x 36MP ~ 180 (MP · frame) / sec

Last edited by tuco; 02-01-2016 at 06:32 AM.
02-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Is it just me or has the mirrorless rage touched off an arms race with continuous shooting speeds? I mean, mirrorless brought a lot to the table, giving you 10+ fps in a very cheap body. And this is fine.These things come in handy. Ever since the d500 and d5 were announced Ive been suspecting that DSLRs are trying to be like their mirrorless counterparts. It just seems like canon/niikon arent ready to invest in the mirrorless side of things so of course they try to copy them. The canon 1dx II's specs just leaked. 16 fps. 16. All fine and good but do we really need that much? And i mean, with a dslr its going to sound like a scene from black hawk down or something. These things work with mirrorless because there is no mirror flapping around. I

It seems like cameras are all specs now and no refinement. Instead of giving us more, it should be smarter and easier to integrate into our lives. The canon 1dx II weighs 1300 grams and that is the body alone. I wouldnt want to be the person stuck at a wedding shoot for 8 hours with that thing. Maybe what this proves is that as much as canon.nikon want us to think that they are giving us everything we love about mirrorless in a time honored dslr, it still cant beat the main point of their cousins that lack mirrors, and that is saving all that weight and bulk. Flash sync speeds have long since been a limitation, I wish that would get tackled instead of unnecessarily huge buffers and the burst rate to go along with.
The technology to increase the FPS is there due to the evolution of HD video. If there is any camera that is all specs and no refinement it is the Samsung NX-1.