Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2016, 05:55 AM   #151
Veteran Member

A few with the Sony 85 1.4 G Master Lens – STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

03-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #152
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I think you are right - the A7 models are somewhat limited on battery size, temp issues, lens sizes/balance, so i definitely think Sony is aiming at a complete line from aps, A7 and A9.

Kudos to all Pentax owners with their eye on the K1 - very aggressive pricing on that FF and a bargain IMO.

Phil
I for one hope Sony does not change battery size. I like the fact that the Sony A7 handles feels like a KX and that the batteries work on all e-mounts. It takes 5 seconds to swap the very inexpensive pocketable battery which I have almost never had to do.

Is there anyone else here that owns a Sony A7series camera that feels the same as me? Keep it portable ..I have a Battery Grip for the camera and seriously only shot once with it.
03-03-2016, 12:48 PM   #153
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
I for one hope Sony does not change battery size. I like the fact that the Sony A7 handles feels like a KX and that the batteries work on all e-mounts. It takes 5 seconds to swap the very inexpensive pocketable battery which I have almost never had to do.
I would rather carry spares than lose interchangeability between my A7/NEX 7/NEX 3N.

Similarly, I was glad to see the K-1 will use the same battery as my K-S1 and K-30.
03-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #154
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is there anyone else here that owns a Sony A7series camera that feels the same as me? Keep it portable ..I have a Battery Grip for the camera and seriously only shot once with it.
i'd much rather carry battery weight in my pocket than in my hands, in the camera.

03-03-2016, 05:41 PM   #155
Forum Member

I was disappointed in the A7RII battery life initially, coming from dSLR's but it's been pretty rare that it's become an actual issue. I don't love it, but I can deal with it for the size/quality tradeoff. I am pining for the RX1RII which has markedly worse battery life, but it's still a crazy appealing camera.
03-03-2016, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #156
Veteran Member

I don't like the battery life, but after years of shooting film if I have to swap a battery every 300 shots it not a big deal. Beats changing a roll of 120 film every 15 shots.
03-07-2016, 05:24 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Sony 24-70 f/2.8 G-Master (GM) Review | Northrup.Photo

03-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #158
Pentaxian

Original Poster
SONY G MASTER 24-70 f/2.8 REAL Hands On Model Shoot w/ the A7Rii & Rotolight Neo by J

03-09-2016, 06:06 AM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I would rather carry spares than lose interchangeability between my A7/NEX 7/NEX 3N.

Similarly, I was glad to see the K-1 will use the same battery as my K-S1 and K-30.
Agree completely. The Sony batteries are also physically quite small, and the Wasabi knockoffs work pretty well. It is very easy to pocket multiple backup batteries.
03-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #160
Veteran Member

I can handle the small batteries too.

With all the things various folks want, it means size creep to the original Sony A7. One either has to accept some of the compromises of the physical design, or get another camera. "yeah but i want something that can carry as much stuff as a dump truck, but its got to be no larger than a VW beetle" - aint going to happen

Various Nex and A7X models have had problems with heat built-up for video or long exposures. Duh - high performance sensor - small internal volume - what should one expect? Want more buttons - want a larger monitor - want a pop-up flash, etc. My rant for the day :-)
03-10-2016, 04:59 PM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Nex and A7X models have had problems with heat built-up for video or long exposures.
Early SONY VAIO laptops had similar problems, the small form factors limited airflow and the components would overheat. Nice to see that some things never change.
03-10-2016, 05:30 PM   #162
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Early SONY VAIO laptops had similar problems, the small form factors limited airflow and the components would overheat. Nice to see that some things never change.
"So, now that I have seen the prices of the new Pentaxes I've decided to stick with my K-x a little longer. For the most part I am very happy with it.

But there is one thing that annoys me: The sensor heats up pretty quickly when taking video. Even though the buffer allows 4-minute video clips, after about 2 minutes into video shooting, the sensor temperature icon shows up." Does the Pentax K-5 video overheat?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

03-10-2016, 05:41 PM   #163
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Heat with video was a problem in the A7S.

4k had to be written to an external recorder.

That's had to been re-engineered with the A7S II.

Btw, my guess is that the heat experience of the K-5 is why Pentax removed mechanical SR from video in future releases, rather than reason they stated (sound), but the decision's annoyed a number of our forum members ever since.

Trivia: The gentleman commenting about the K-5 in the DPR thread is @ScooterMaxJim.

Last edited by clackers; 03-10-2016 at 05:49 PM.
03-10-2016, 08:08 PM   #164
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I had a Walkman once that ate my dope mix-tape do you think I should be concerned about data loss on my A7?
03-11-2016, 04:49 AM   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a Walkman once that ate my dope mix-tape do you think I should be concerned about data loss on my A7?
Yes..