Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2016, 04:39 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Allegedly the new teleconverters won't work with any other non-G master lenses...typical Sony. One day, Sony will come out with a lens that is so exclusive you have to buy a new body just to use it...oh wait, they have already done that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I expect to see a larger A9 with a bigger battery, more processing power, and better ergonomics.
What you will probably get is a warmed over update of the A99, the same battery size and capacity, bigger more power hungry processor, the same crappy ergonomics* and no native DNG support.

*i'm really starting to sound like a cynic..

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-04-2016 at 04:45 AM.
02-04-2016, 04:57 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The A9 is probably not far off. Sony has not had the glass for such a camera and the glass is what takes a long time to develop. Before the launch of the A900 Sony launched the Sony/Zeiss 85mm F/1.4 and the 24-70 F/2.8. Once the glass is shipping I expect to see a larger A9 with a bigger battery, more processing power, and better ergonomics.
I thought the G Master lenses were E Mount, meaning that they were specifically designed for mirrorless and not alpha mount cameras.

Sony has had alpha mount fast lenses for a long time and the alpha mount cameras would be more reasonable to shoot with ergonomically, if you don't mind dealing with their limitations and the fact that Sony has semi-indicated that the A mount is an after thought for them.
02-04-2016, 05:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I thought the G Master lenses were E Mount, meaning that they were specifically designed for mirrorless and not alpha mount cameras.

Sony has had alpha mount fast lenses for a long time and the alpha mount cameras would be more reasonable to shoot with ergonomically, if you don't mind dealing with their limitations and the fact that Sony has semi-indicated that the A mount is an after thought for them.
The A9 is the rumored pro-grade version of the A7. The A99 is the A-mount line.

Sony knows a larger FE body is needed, but they have to get the lenses out first. Lenses have been the biggest criticism of the FE line.

On their cheaper lenses like the FE 28mm F/2 they use a good bit of software based lens correction. Lenses like the FE 90mm show almost no change when I apply lens correction. The FE 55mm is a lens that I probably only use lens correction 50% of the time and the same can be said of the 35mm F/1.4.

How much lens correction is needed on the new D-FA 24-70mm F/2.8 when attached to a FF body? I though it required a pretty good bit. I'm pretty sure you will see a good bit of software based lens correction from Ricoh so that all the older glass can function at a high level. There is going to be a good bit of CA/PF to deal with. The DA* 55mm will need a good bit of correction for use on a FF body.

Sony is still learning what photographers want, but they are moving fast. There have been a significant number of improvements made to the A7 line in a very short time. The performance difference between the A7 original and the A7rII is huge and it occurred over a 2 year period. Sony needs more processing power to run everything faster and that takes more battery power. Sony screwed up in selecting the current A7 battery.
02-04-2016, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Don't they always do that at every single thing Sony releases?
Pentax users see a parade of great lenses we can't afford going by on eBay all the time. It's new to Sony users.

The first basketball tournament of the year when you get to your first final, you always try and settle your team down. "Act like you've been here before." Sony users don't seem to have that mindset down yet.

02-04-2016, 06:43 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The A9 is the rumored pro-grade version of the A7. The A99 is the A-mount line.

Sony knows a larger FE body is needed, but they have to get the lenses out first. Lenses have been the biggest criticism of the FE line.

On their cheaper lenses like the FE 28mm F/2 they use a good bit of software based lens correction. Lenses like the FE 90mm show almost no change when I apply lens correction. The FE 55mm is a lens that I probably only use lens correction 50% of the time and the same can be said of the 35mm F/1.4.

How much lens correction is needed on the new D-FA 24-70mm F/2.8 when attached to a FF body? I though it required a pretty good bit. I'm pretty sure you will see a good bit of software based lens correction from Ricoh so that all the older glass can function at a high level. There is going to be a good bit of CA/PF to deal with. The DA* 55mm will need a good bit of correction for use on a FF body.

Sony is still learning what photographers want, but they are moving fast. There have been a significant number of improvements made to the A7 line in a very short time. The performance difference between the A7 original and the A7rII is huge and it occurred over a 2 year period. Sony needs more processing power to run everything faster and that takes more battery power. Sony screwed up in selecting the current A7 battery.
My experience with the DA *55 on film has that it is some vignetting in the corners wide open, but no distortion to speak of. Have to see on full frame digital what that means exactly. The DFA 24-70 is the same as the Tamron 24-70 which has been tested extensively on Canon and Nikon and shows some distortion wide open at 24mm and 2 stops of vignetting there, but otherwise looks pretty decent. I really think for the most part both lenses will be fine without a lot of software manipulation.

Last edited by Rondec; 02-04-2016 at 06:57 AM.
02-04-2016, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I wonder when Sony will have a body that can use these lenses ergonomically. I know you can mount large lenses on a mirrorless camera, but I can't see a wedding photographer, for instance, enjoying shooting a full day with the 70-200 f2.8 "G Master" on an A7r.
I just Shot a 5 hour event with A7 and Tamron SP 80-200mm F/2.8 LD Model 30a and Flash. It's actually more comfortable with sony A7 than shooting with K5 and the same lens. I have both Cameras and shot identical events with them so unless you have tried it then it's just hearsay.
02-04-2016, 07:36 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
...and we all know Sony users are flocking to it and praising it as the second coming of Christ.
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Don't they always do that at every single thing Sony releases?
Sounds like my bro-in-law getting all excited with any new Apple product!

02-04-2016, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
G master...it sounds like an adult product aimed at women.
It's very easy to find the G-spot on these lenses.

It would be interesting to compare optical formula between the FE- and A-mount versions of these lenses.
The design is kind of made so the FF lenses look like there is a E-mount adapter bolted on their A-mount versions.
02-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
I just Shot a 5 hour event with A7 and Tamron SP 80-200mm F/2.8 LD Model 30a and Flash. It's actually more comfortable with sony A7 than shooting with K5 and the same lens. I have both Cameras and shot identical events with them so unless you have tried it then it's just hearsay.
Hearsay, compared to anecdotal evidence... does either of them actually prove anything?
Unless you've done a controlled study with multiple users and achieved some kind of scientific result, all you know is which camera got your pheromones going, and that may not have anything to do with much but your mind set. Nobody cares how many events you shoot or what you've done. You're not some kind of god of photography. Boy, that was just nasty.

If you want to say you prefer the Sony, fine. If you want to imply (which you do) that it's just a fact that everyone will, that's nonsense.

So let's just leave this that Silver-Surfer prefers a Sony.
02-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
That's fine. Ergonomics are very person specific. I wouldn't shoot for an extended period with a 70-200 f2.8 without a full sized SLR with grip, but that's just me (well and my wife too).

I think the one thing that is pretty clear is that once you get a decent sized lens, then the small size of the mirrorless camera ceases to be a significant advantage versus an SLR model with a similar lens.
02-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #26
osv
Veteran Member

That's fine. Ergonomics are very person specific. I wouldn't shoot for an extended period with a 70-200 f2.8 without a full sized SLR with grip, but that's just me (well and my wife too).
pro photographers will be shooting events that need flash with flash bracket hardware, that puts the light up off of the camera, allows for easy rotation from landscape to portrait with the flash remaining above the camera, etc.

in which case they will be supporting the rig by the bracket in their hand, not the grip on the camera body... mirrorless wins there because it'll be a lighter rig.

---------- Post added 02-04-16 at 09:29 AM ----------

What you will probably get is a warmed over update of the A99, the same battery size and capacity, bigger more power hungry processor, the same crappy ergonomics* and no native DNG support.

*i'm really starting to sound like a cynic..
lol, no, the actual sony mirrorless track record is nothing like that... for example, the a7rii was a huge step up in many ways from the a7r.

"warmed over" would apply to what pentax did with the k3ii vs. k3

---------- Post added 02-04-16 at 09:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hearsay, compared to anecdotal evidence... does either of them actually prove anything?
lets see, comments from someone with actual experience, as opposed to comments from people who have never owned a mirrorless camera and never even owned a ff digital camera?

please...
02-04-2016, 11:44 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster

I think the one thing that is pretty clear is that once you get a decent sized lens, then the small size of the mirrorless camera ceases to be a significant advantage versus an SLR model with a similar lens.
Proper handheld technique for larger lenses have more to do with supporting the rig by the lens with left hand. Supporting by the grip is asking for camera shake and lens mount stress. This is why Large lenses have the tripod mount on the Lens.
02-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #28

doesn't mind poorly engineered primes that require a lot of software manipulation to look decent, than their cameras should fit the bill.
I could of swore I read good things about their primes, at least the expensive Zeiss lineup. Could you elaborate on the poor engineering and required software manipulation?
02-04-2016, 12:08 PM - 4 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Unless you've done a controlled study with multiple users and achieved some kind of scientific result, all you know is which camera got your pheromones going, and that may not have anything to do with much but your mind set. Nobody cares how many events you shoot or what you've done. You're not some kind of god of photography. Boy, that was just nasty.

If you want to say you prefer the Sony, fine. If you want to imply (which you do) that it's just a fact that everyone will, that's nonsense.

So let's just leave this that Silver-Surfer prefers a Sony.
I love both Pentax and Sony.....I also use Polaroid cameras(is that ok?). I didn't make the decision to troll a perfectly benign news thread with Sony hate Propaganda. Why do people like you even come into the Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc part of the forum unless to be a troll. Go take some pictures and chill out.
02-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #30

For a second I almost throught they were releasing another new mount again.