Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sony a6300 Boasts the World’s Fastest AF and Highest Number of AF Points

"A new 4D Focus system can lock onto a subject in as little as 0.05 seconds, which sets a new record among interchangeable lens cameras with APS-C sensors, Sony says. The camera also boasts a staggering 425 phase detection AF points — the world’s highest number among interchangeable lens cameras — that are densely placed across the entire frame (it’s 7.5x more dense than in the α6000)."
Sony a6300 Boasts the World's Fastest AF and Highest Number of AF Points

"Perhaps the biggest news is that the a6300 is capable of uninterrupted live view at up to 8 fps, potentially addressing one of the biggest shortcomings of mirrorless cameras when it comes to fast action shooting. Traditionally, mirrorless cameras tend to show only a stop-motion sequence of last-shot images at the highest shooting frame-rate, which makes it hard to follow a subject and keep an AF point over it. Live view in between short blackouts at 8 fps brings the a6300 much closer to the experience of a DSLR with optical viewfinder. At the launch event in New York this morning, Sony showed a video reminiscent of Nikon's recent DSLR vs. mirrorless comparison for fast action shooting at CES, albeit comparing the a6300 to a <$1000 DSLR. Results looked impressive.
24MP CMOS APS-C sensor with copper wiring
425-point on-sensor phase-detection AF system
11 fps continuous shooting (8fps continuous live view)
Silent shooting in continuous drive (3 fps with AF/AE)
Max ISO of 51200
4K video capture up to 100 Mbps
Phase-detect AF compatible with A-mount lenses via LA-EA3 adapter"
http://www.dpreview.com/news/3240829197/sony-announces-24mp-a6300-mirrorless-camera

Sensor:

24.2-megapixel CMOS sensor with copper wiring

14-stops of dynamic range

Performance:

Eight frames-per-second continuous live view

11 fps with autofocus between frames (but not with live view, only showing the last frame captured at any given moment)

Autofocus:

0.05-second autofocus with 425 points

World's highest number of autofocus points covering entire image frame

High-density tracking autofocus technology activates large number of points surrounding the subject, tracks at 11 fps

Supports phase-detect AF with older lenses (and possibly EF-mount lenses with the Metabones adapter?)

Viewfinder:

XGA OLED TruFinder

"the advantages of electronic preview with the immediacy of an optical viewfinder"

"the A6300 truly connects you with the action like no other camera can"

Video capture:

4K video capture in Super 35mm format with full-pixel readout, no pixel binning

"Best 4K video in a Sony consumer camera ever"

2.4x oversampling from downsampling 6K sensor data

120 fps high frame-rate Full HD video

S-Log and S-Gamut

Coming in March 2016, priced at US$1,000 body-only or $1,150 bundled with the PZ 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 lens.
Live from New York: Sony A6300 mirrorless, high-end G Master lens series debut!

Last edited by osv; 02-04-2016 at 04:06 PM.
02-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sure, it's fast, but until it can lock focus accurately at f1.4 I will stick to the precision of my manual lenses.
02-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
osv
Veteran Member

Original Poster
this new technology seems rather counter-intuitive, because the faster the lens, the more accurate it is: Sony Alpha 7R II can match or beat DSLR low light AF performance: Digital Photography Review

i don't see it ever being more accurate than what i can do with manual focus, tho, i'm with you there.
02-04-2016, 07:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

At some point, the number of focus points becomes surely for show. I doubt all those points are selectable (heaven help you if they are!), so you have to let the camera pick for you to use them all. But it may pick incorrectly, instead settling on a nearby point to the one you truly want, negating the benefit of having that many.

02-04-2016, 08:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Sony mainly boosts price tags in a dangerous if not desperate "strategic" move.
02-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #6
osv
Veteran Member

Original Poster
wrt af, it looks like the camera needs to pick the correct subject matter in the first place... if it does that right, all of those focus points make the tracking a desirable feature.

sony posted some vids of the tracking in action Sony a6300 videos show off tech that may challenge last remaining DSLR strongholds: Digital Photography Review but the comments by rishi over at dpr are a bit more real-world, since dpr has been working with gear to some extent: Rishi Sanyal: Comments: Digital Photography Review

you can wade thru the comments in the link, or for another day or two, drill right down to what rishi has to say about it.

it's the sony lens pricing that really chafes my hide, lol... the high body pricing is more bearable, because any lens will work on it, you don't have to buy sony glass at all, and a lot of people don't... after owning the a7r for over two years, i still don't have even one piece of sony glass.
02-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Looks stunning to me.

If it had IBIS I'd be moving to it. Epic developments in the likes of video that my existing Pentax bodies just can't compete with. Likewise burst rates of 11fps etc.

There is still time though for Pentax to release something competitive. Olympus is close with their retro OMD line, which has IBIS in video mode.
Pentax could be playing that game for sure, they've got a history in that film form factor just as Olympus do.

02-05-2016, 09:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
it's the sony lens pricing that really chafes my hide, lol... the high body pricing is more bearable, because any lens will work on it, you don't have to buy sony glass at all, and a lot of people don't... after owning the a7r for over two years, i still don't have even one piece of sony glass.
This is why I never picked up the Sony A6000. Just prior to getting my K-50, I was a Sony A-mount shooter. I really liked & still like Sony cameras. I wanted to replace my A200 DSLR with a newer DSLT, but it was either the cheap A58 or expensive A77II. I had thoughts of getting the Sony A6000 & 5100 cameras, but once I started looking at the cost of the lenses I said, "Yikes! They're pricey!" They're also kind of limited in focal lengths.

The A6300 is indeed a nice camera, but it's way too much money for me. That & Sony seems to have all its focus on the FF E-mount stuff. I'll stick to my Pentax stuff for now.
02-05-2016, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #9
osv
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sony wants to bring a-mount guys into the mirrorless domain, they've cut the laea3 price in half, it's now $100, so a-mount glass with it's own focus motors will be able to use the a6300 af points, and it'll even work for continuous af with video(?)... they also cut the laea4 price in half, for the first time ever.

$400 for a metabones adapter, and you'll probably be able to use the latest canon ef-mount glass with all of those focus points as well, but that hasn't been confirmed yet.

i got into pentax because it offered a lot for less money than canikon, that still holds true, but body-wise, sony is going after the pricing jugular... look where the a6300 falls in the small-sensor comparison, sony is even killing k3 on the bottom end, by whoring out the a6000 pricing:
$2000 d500
$1500 nx1
$1500 7dmkii
$1300 xt1
$1300 gh4
$1100 d7200
$1000 eos 70d
$1000 a6300
$900 Olympus OM-D E-M5 II
$900 a77ii
$850 rebel t6s
$800 d7100
$800 k3ii
$660 k3
$500 a6000

Last edited by osv; 02-05-2016 at 12:11 PM.
02-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

K50...$300....
02-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #11
osv
Veteran Member

Original Poster
afaik sony doesn't sell any aps-c interchangeable lens mirrorless 16mp cameras anymore, they were obsoleted a long time ago... it was next 5n or something like that?
02-06-2016, 11:23 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Gh4 is 16 mp too....or it was the last time I saw my mates one.
02-07-2016, 02:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
next 5n
NEX-5T. I think the 'T' stands for 'touch', since it had touch screen functionality. Last use of the very capable 16MP sensor in NEX.

A disappointing A6300 spec is the low-light sensitivity (which at -1 EV has only improved one EV over the A6000).

Sony has never introduced a real NEX low-light shooter, for some reason, while it has done so for other branches of the Alpha 'family tree'. A68, A77II, A7RII, A7S, A7SII can all AF beyond -1 EV, sometimes dramatically so. With the addition of teleconverters into the E mount lens lineup, and longer lenses, the A6300 (and newer NEX's) would benefit from Sony improving that spec. Sports shooters particularly.
02-07-2016, 03:42 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since all of these AF points are on the sensor, I wonder how many of them there have to be before it could effect image quality. Obviously they aren't very big, but there are basically multiple dead pixels designed into the sensor, not?
02-07-2016, 04:35 PM   #15
osv
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Gh4 is 16 mp too....or it was the last time I saw my mates one.
yes, 16mp and m4/3 as well, way out of place on that list, lol... xt1 is also 16mp, but at least it's aps-c... i just put 'em there because they cost more than the a6300 does, and yet they are inferior in many ways.

canon has put 4kp60 on their new 1dxmkii, that might be a first for any camera that was designed to shoot stills, it sorta shows how long in the tooth the gh4 is... even sony doesn't have that yet.

not a lot of info on how pdaf is implemented on the sensor, but wrt to oly on-sensor pdaf: "The PDAF pixels are staggered across a central, diamond-shaped phase-detect AF area on the sensor, to ensure that you can't notice artifacts in your final images. (Since these pixels don't contribute image data for the final image, information from surrounding pixels is used to interpolate a value for the "missing" pixels -- exactly the same process most cameras use to fill in for stuck or hot pixels.)" Olympus E-M1 Review - E-M1 Overview

there is a picture of the sensor about halfway down the page.

this is an actual picture of a rebel t4i sensor? showing the pdaf sensors: Canon phase detection AF found in the Rebel T4i camera | Photo Rumors