Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
most people who get on the ff sony evf bandwagon will never purchase another ovf camera.
How can you know this?

02-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
It would seem rather ridiculous to switch a couple months before the K1.
You can't possibly know everybodies requirements in a camera.....nor their reasons for the timing of their purchase.
02-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
most people who get on the ff sony evf bandwagon will never purchase another ovf camera.
+1 for never purchasing another OVF
02-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #19
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
How can you know this?
once you get used to the advantages of wysiwg, peaking, and magnification in an oled evf, there just isn't any going back.

i've seen maybe five or six people who gave these cameras an honest shot, and bailed to go back to only ovf, but i think that it was before the arrival of the latest a7ii/a7rii cameras.

many people do own and use both ovf and evf, which is a different scenario, but even those people don't usually sell their evf cameras to go ovf-only.

look at this silly dpr survey, they put it on all the forums, what does it say about the interest level in mirrorless cameras:

Attached Images

02-13-2016, 04:56 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K3 is a very nice camera and you have a good line up of lenses already. Certainly going full frame down the road is going to be cheaper as time goes by. I don't know what the K-1 will launch for, but I think it is going to be pretty reasonable within a few months of launch and that may be a nice option for you, since you have a line up of Pentax glass already.

The whole EVF versus OVF thing somehow becomes a battle field, with people being entrenched on both sides. My feeling is that the whole goal of EVFs is to emulate an OVF as closely as possible (no lag, no blackout), but with some helps added for analyzing your exposure/focus. People who are used to OVFs certainly don't necessarily need these helps, but I would be the last to argue that no one does. I do prefer an OVF personally and am glad that the battery life is better in OVF cameras as well.

In the end these are all just tools and you should get what makes you happiest shooting (as long as it is in your budget). No one will look at your photos after the fact and argue that your images would have been better coming from a mirrorless camera or vice versa.
02-15-2016, 02:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone who has a K3 needs a FF - everyone who has one says that a FF has no real advantage.

This then begs the question - why is Pentax willing to risk bringing out a FF when no-one who uses aps-c Pentax sees any value in it
02-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
I'm still trying to figure out why anyone who has a K3 needs a FF - everyone who has one says that a FF has no real advantage.

This then begs the question - why is Pentax willing to risk bringing out a FF when no-one who uses aps-c Pentax sees any value in it
Because those that say FF has no advantage over aps-c are kidding themselves. I have both 24megapixels aps-c and FF and the advantages of FF IQ over aps-c are quite noticable
FF has better Lowlight performance, and better Micro contrast, Among other things. Bigger is always better when it comes to IQ, The 645 is going to have advantages over FF and aps-c.
Im not saying K3 is not a terrific camera, but the pentax FF is going to take better pictures as does sony and nikon FF counterparts. Price and portability are the advantages of aps-c cameras

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 02-15-2016 at 11:02 AM.
02-15-2016, 07:39 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To me it's quite straightforward, both are different tools with different strengths etc. For getting a job done you choose accordingly (budget permitting). For enjoyment one might just enjoy the experience of using either tool as part of the pleasure of photography....etc
02-15-2016, 08:49 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EstimatedEyes Quote
I was THIS close to taking the jump. I had researched everything, had that shiny new A7ii in my cart at B&H with that 16-35 zeiss all wrapped up, new L bracket, everything just a click away, and that shiny 24-70/2.8 coming next month ...

and then I blinked.

Do I really want to jump the pentax ship for the siren song of a FF in a camera that's slightly smaller and lighter than my much loved K-3? Sure, that articulating screen would be nice, but will I learn to love an EVF? Is it all really going to be worth the hassle and expense of switching to a new system? And with a Pentax FF (albeit likely to be way bigger and heavier than I will ever want to lug around) just around the corner?

Let me check, Nope.

So everything got moved back to the wish list. Replaced with a 31/1.8 ltd and 16-85/3.5-5.6 to complete my new travel kit with all that money I "saved"

I guess in the end its worth it to look over the edge once in a while ...
I shoot with both systems. You don't have to jump off of a cliff.

---------- Post added 02-15-16 at 10:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
It depends on they type of shooting you do and your final output. I have the A-7II and the K-3. The K-3 is a better camera as far a controls and ergonomics. A7II gives me better RAW files when it comes to color. Especially skin tones. The A7II is more forgiving. The K-3 requires a little more work. There is a definite difference in the look of the files. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I actually love to set the K-3 w/31mm on monochrome JPEG and go shoot. They eye AF feature of the A7II and A7rII is excellent for anyone who shoots portraits. I just shot a session with the K-3 and it reminded me how much I like that feature.
02-15-2016, 10:15 PM   #25
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it all really going to be worth the hassle and expense of switching to a new system?
Let me check, Nope.

Otis is not going to get into the Sony argument, it is well known that he is a loyal Pentaxian squirrel, but regardless of that, he likes your reasoning power. He sees so many "Jumpers" with not a lick of common sense.

He said you made a logical decision.....and we all know Otis is a logical squirrel that likes big brain thinking!

Save it, it has cash/prize value sometime in 2016!

Regards!
02-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
At the risk of losing my Squirrel award before the cash value kicks in, I do have to say that after seeing that the size of the K-1 and lenses is about what I expected I am more convinced that, if (when?) I go FF it will be with Sony (unless something better comes along in the interim)

Pentax K-1 v Sony A7ii
02-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll be getting the K1, of course, but may at a later stage get a "run out" A7II for mostly the viewfinder focus peaking (and smaller size) for my K primes.
02-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I'll be getting the K1, of course, but may at a later stage get a "run out" A7II for mostly the viewfinder focus peaking (and smaller size) for my K primes.
Just remember, Noel, that the K-1 will have both focus peaking and magnification in Live View.

I much prefer a split prism focus screen - much faster and more accurate than EVF - but the K-1's will not be changeable because it now has a HUD overlay.
02-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Just remember, Noel, that the K-1 will have both focus peaking and magnification in Live View.

I much prefer a split prism focus screen - much faster and more accurate than EVF - but the K-1's will not be changeable because it now has a HUD overlay.
I'm use to that on the K3, but much prefer viewfinder focus when possible..... mostly for people shots..... but focus peaking and histogram in the viewfinder would be nice with the K's..... anyway I find the K3 standard focus screen about the same as my K5II with a "S" screen...... so maybe the K1 might do (mostly for <f2 stuff)