Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Who is making Pentax K to Konica AR (or vice versa) lens to body marriages?

Konica AR-mount SLRs are somewhat rare compared to the Pentax K-mounts and their kin, but since my only other interchangeable SLR body, besides Pentax K and M42 types is a Konica Autoreflex T, I can't help but be interested in what cross-fertilization might be possible.

For those not familiar with the Konica AR mount, it looks kind of like the K-mount system, but not on close examination. And finding a film era AR lens to K-mount body adapter is impossible (as far as I know) mainly because the mount to film-plane distance in the Konica AR mount system is so much shorter that no adapter was possible that would not leave the lens "extended," as if it were on an slim extension tube, and incapable of focusing at infinity. [I believe Konica AR lenses could be connected to some other make's SLR bodies by adapter, but I forget which ones.] I understand that there are ways to mount Konica AR mount lenses on mirrorless Pentax bodies, but my SLRs (film and digital) are all quite mirrored.

Even so, it might be possible to mount K-mount lenses on Konica AR bodies (if you could find or make an adapter), or alternately, by embracing the extension factor , go ahead and use the Konica AR lenses on Pentax Ks somehow. Then too there is the possibility of lens reversal, and lens reversal on top of the other make's proprietary lenses -- for example, see Doundounba's post #14 in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/177-macro-photography/281923-using-konica...ml#post3066543
Where he talks about using a reversed 50mm Konica lens in front of a 150mm Pentax lens for 3:1 magnification macro work, including an example image.

Why bother, with all of the Pentax lens choices? Good question, but some of the Konica Hexanon AR lenses do have an excellent reputation for sharpness. Or you might find that you have some mix of Pentax and Konica AR-mount equipment and want to experiment.

On the chance that there are more than one of two of us interested in Konica AR/Pentax K equipment marriages, I thought I would raise the question. If it applies to you, please post info and pics describing what you have tried in this realm.

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 02-19-2016 at 11:52 AM.
02-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're okay with losing infinity focus, the PK+Multi-Mount by Adaptist (Adaptist - Home) supports AR lenses.
02-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

This question comes up periodically. Adapters for AR to K exist, but as you noted, all that support infinity focus have a "helper" lens as part of the adapter that will likely degrade performance. There are a couple users on this site who have successfully modified their AR-mount glass to Pentax K. With any luck they may chime in.

Edit:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/56234-konica-mino...ld-lenses.html

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-19-2016 at 01:10 PM.
02-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Scintilla, can one approximate infinity using smaller apertures when using one of those multi-mount adaptors, the way one adjusts aperture to a hyperfocal positioning point to embrace more foreground and background? It has occurred to me not quite getting to infinity might not be a problem with a telephoto lens being used for close-up or mid-distance subjects.

stevebrot, yes, I can see how using an adapter including the "helper lens" to support infinity would be ideal, but I didn't realize that there would have been enough demand for such an adapter to be created.

Scintilla and stevebrot, thanks much for those posting those links. In my case, the lens-less multi-mount would be out of my price range for an adapter, and changing the mount on the lens wouldn't be inviting, since I wouldn't want to make a lens stop working on my Konica Autoreflex T. Right now I have one lens I could share between either type of body, a Tamron SP zoom for which I have both Pentax K and Konica AR adaptall rings for. Still those options in the links might be great for others.

Scintilla and stevebrot, have either of you used Konica AR lenses on a K-mount body, and if so, which kind of adapting method did you use -- and especially, what lens was it and how did it seem to stack up against various K-mount lenses you've used? Sample pics would be nice if you have them.

I intend my question to be as much about finding out about others' enthusiasm and experiences for the PK / KAR equipment marriages, as about how it can be accomplished as necessary as that might be. If it isn't fun and rewarding to do. After all, the how-to might no be so interesting after a couple of experiments with it if the pay off isn't interesting pictures.

02-19-2016, 06:11 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Scintilla and stevebrot, have either of you used Konica AR lenses on a K-mount body, and if so, which kind of adapting method did you use -- and especially, what lens was it and how did it seem to stack up against various K-mount lenses you've used? Sample pics would be nice if you have them.
I have not, though if I found a cache of Hexanons for sale, I would likely buy with the intent of converting them to K-mount. As you are probably aware, the Konica lenses were top-shelf back in the day and optical quality does not decrease with age, despite what you might read here and other places on the Web.

Steve

(...OTOH, if there were a nice Autoreflex body in the box too...)
02-19-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Sorry, no Konica lenses here. So far the only non-K lenses I've used on the PK+MM are for Contax/Yashica, which doesn't have the problem of a shorter flange focal length than K-mount (so I really can't speak to the hyperfocal question either).
02-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I, at the moment only have two Konica Hexanon AR-mount lenses, a 57mm and a 135mm. I am going to make a temporary KAR to PK adapter, which will result in some lens extension, and see what I get trying the 135 on my Pentax K110D dslr. I'm going to explore adapting K-mount lenses to the Konica AR body though too, since that would give me longer telephoto options for the Konica body than the 135mm -- the best outcome could potentially result in the Autoreflex T becoming effectively another K-mount camera body whenever I want it to be. I'll post some results when I have them.

I hope that Doundounba and others who have experimented with Konica AR / Pentax K marriages will jump in here and post some example photographs, as well as some comments about what they value in these attempts and in the results they get from them.

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 02-21-2016 at 08:09 AM.
02-22-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, I've done it. I took the rear flange from a 5-piece set of manual K-mount extension tubes and joined it to the rear of the slimmest of a 3-piece set of Konica AR extension tubes, using black photographer's tape. It turned out much more stable and sturdy than I imagined it would, and is of course light tight. I measure it as adding about 18mm of extension, on top of the few additional mm's I would inherently get mounting a Konica AR lens flush on a K-mount body with a manufactured lensless adapter. Using my "mini-extendo-dapter" to mount my Konica Hexanon AR 135mm f/3.5 lens on my Pentax K110D dslr, I found that I could focus sharply on anything that was within a range of about 2 to 3 feet of the front of the lens. Since the 135 is not a close-focusing lens to begin with, this doesn't get me to anything like true macro at the highest magnification, nor can I detect blurry horizon lines when set on the lens's infinity mark. Also, what magnification I do get makes any subject movement (or photographer movement) a challenge, even if stopped down partway, though I came close to getting a startlingly great headshot of one of my barred rock hens! So there are a lot of limitations, still there is the possibility having some fun within them.

Here are a couple of the quip snaps I got a little while ago when I dashed out of the house with this Konica-Pentax couple. Actually, I had to dash back in and get a wide-brimmed hat, as the low bright sun was making it impossible to see into the viewfinder!

Fungus on choke cherry log:

Pressure relief knob on hydraulic wood splitter:

These were both at about f8, handheld, but I forget the shutter speed. The light seemed more contrasty than these images seem to show. I'm surprised how much detail is in the shaded sides of the fungi. A closer framing might have gotten a more interesting composition, but that might have meant more extension to get what I have in mind. Then what? move the K-mount flange to a different KAR tube...? Ha, ha, ha, hah!

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 02-23-2016 at 11:33 AM.
02-23-2016, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
With the fungus image looking much better full-sized on my screen, than in the small reduced version I'm able to upload, I decided to upload a cropping from the middle of it, that I didn't have to reduce nearly so much:

Clearly, more of the complex edges, textures, patterns, and shadow detail are represented than show in the reduction. Does it suggest the potential of using this Konca lens on Pentax family bodies...especially in more careful work than this quick hand-held test? I leave it to others to judge.

I have since also made a taped together adapter allowing me to mount a 35-70mm Pentax zoom on my Konica Autoreflex T camera body. I managed to do this with little enough extension that at least objects in the infinity zone could at least be recognized, if quite blurry. For really sharp focus, however, I had to be within at least 6-7 feet from an object. I probably won't take pictures with that arrangement, but a DIY K-mount or M42 lens to Konica AR body adapter that will achieve infinity focus would be much easier than the opposite adaptation.