Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2016, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sony Facial Recognition and Tracking

This is a feature that a company like Ricoh needs to figure out a way to implement in an OVF. For photographers who shoot wedding and portraits this is a very useful.

03-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oof, programming (and later deprogramming) a camera is not to my taste. More tech for techy folks - though I agree that some event shooters would be well served by it. I'd be satisfied with a touch-AF live screen to handle this.
03-03-2016, 10:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I'd be more interested in some videos of face detection at work in Nikon optical viewfinders/PDAF? I understand it works OK with D800/D810/D750 etc. Pentax are more likely to emulate Nikon than whatever Sony is doing with their electronic viewfinders.

BTW, face registration has been an NEX feature for a long time. Even my ancient old NEX-5 had it, as does my little RX-100 [up to 8 faces registered]. I never use it because it is often fiddly to set-up in the field, unlike in a studio.
03-03-2016, 11:22 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I understand it works OK with D800/D810/D750 etc.
My understanding is that the Nikon system is limited to optimizing skin metering when using the optical viewfinder. In theory the K-1 and K-3/K-3II could support similar, though the question might be "why".

Steve

03-04-2016, 02:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My understanding is that the Nikon system is limited to optimizing skin metering when using the optical viewfinder.
The Nikon info is not perfectly clear, but seems to suggest face detection as a focus aid in PDAF works in Nikon cameras with the 91k metering sensor, and maybe to a degree in other Nikons too.

It tracks and identifies the face if the AF mode is set to 'auto-area AF' in optical viewfinder AF, viz:
Auto-area AF detects human faces and prioritizes their sharpness for you — an ideal choice for candid photography..

Nikon | Imaging Products | Still image shooting functions - Nikon D800/D800E

Skin tone identifying is part of the recognition process, via the RGB sensor. The metering/scene recognition system can then use face detection to ensure good exposure of the face when it recognises a portrait scene is happening.
"D800/D800E: The camera uses face detection to ensure optimal exposure of the subject's face."
"D800/D800E: Flash output is adjusted according to the brightness of the subjects' faces, producing optimal results even with bright backgrounds."
Technical Solutions | Nikon Professional Services
etc

That's why I've always been interested in Pentax doing the same. The underlying Pentax hardware seems just as capable.

Last edited by rawr; 03-04-2016 at 02:21 AM.
03-04-2016, 06:34 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
though the question might be "why".
For group wedding shots the camera automatically locks on the face of the bride. If you don't have to focus and recompose you work a lot fast. You just worry about composition and making sure the camera is level. If you are working with an entertainer (singer) who has dancers moving around. Yes it is specialized, but for those photographers who mostly photograph people it is a useful feature. I have used it several times and been very happy.

This is one reason I was hoping the K-1 would have AF point covering a much larger area and a hybrid OVF that could project more information into the OVF.

The underlying Pentax hardware seems just as capable.
Pentax has the same features, but it is not nearly as intelligent as what mirrorless cameras offer.
03-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
This is one reason I was hoping the K-1 would have ... a hybrid OVF.
Pentax have recent patents about that, so I was fully expecting to see that technology in the K-1. It's a pity to see those patents sitting on the shelf.

03-04-2016, 09:03 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
For group wedding shots the camera automatically locks on the face of the bride.
That would be a very smart camera to be able to tell the bride from her grandmother.

Steve
03-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The Nikon info is not perfectly clear, but seems to suggest face detection as a focus aid in PDAF works in Nikon cameras with the 91k metering sensor, and maybe to a degree in other Nikons too.
Yes...I first read of this a few years ago, but facts are hard to come as far as the degree to which Nikon's facial recognition feature is leveraged by the AF system. When the K-3 first came out there was widespread speculation regarding possible support on that camera due to it having a scene-aware RGB meter sensor. It did not help much that certain Pentax-specific EXIF tags related to facial recognition in live view showed values for non-live-view exposures. I did some testing at the time and finally concluded that those EXIF fields were likely "over-loaded" and were not being used for facial recognition exclusively.

Steve
03-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #10
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
that video was interesting, thx for the post.
03-06-2016, 07:43 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Hopefully Sony brings the AF from the A6300 to a new A7 or A9 model in the near future.