Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2016, 09:37 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
ISO with Mamiya RB67

In thinking about buying a Pentax 67II, I decided to have another look at my old RB67, and even shot a roll of film through it just for practice and to recall the slightly complicated shooting procedures. I was surprised to notice that there is no knob or other device to alter the ISO/ASA settings for the specific film being loaded into this camera. I am wondering how the photographer is expected to take into consideration the different ISO ratings of film used in this camera (or in any camera without an ASA setting/adjustment).

I suppose I could assume a 100 ASA default value, and then adjust exposure settings for higher ASA film by either setting a faster shutter speed or smaller aperture. Since the RB67 was a common professional camera, I am sure there must be a well-understood procedure for this matter, and would appreciate someone sharing their knowledge on this point. I have read the Instruction manual, and find no reference whatsoever to ISO/ASA.

Many thanks.

03-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

There's no meter in the standard prism. You need a light meter to use the RB67 and it's assumed you set the ISO on the light meter.
03-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
There's no meter in the standard prism. You need a light meter to use the RB67 and it's assumed you set the ISO on the light meter.
A reasonable assumption! If you have a metered prism, the ISO/ASA adjustment is on the prism.

Steve
03-08-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Indeed, on any film camera without metering, the ISO value is more or less irrelevant. You choose speed and aperture accordingly to your external meter, or the sunny 16 rule.

03-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unlike in my P67, theres the reminder slot in the Mamiya back. Just rip off the film roll's covering cardboard and you'll remember what film is inside. More useful with the M645.
03-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, the old camera only cares about shutter and ap.
Actually these days with C41 I like to estimate them, and leave the vintage Honeywell at home.
Attached Images