Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 370
Leica X Vario

Just being trying out the Leica X Vario. The BW output reminds me a lot of the K3 plus the FA Limited combination. Lovely microcontrast. This is an OOC Jpeg with High contrast setting. Very nice.



03-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 16,158
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
Just being trying out the Leica X Vario. The BW output reminds me a lot of the K3 plus the FA Limited combination. Lovely microcontrast. This is an OOC Jpeg with High contrast setting. Very nice.
Lovely shot from a very nice camera! Did you buy it, or were you just trying it? I would love to own one of Leica's newer digital cameras like this. I wonder how you got on with the lack of a viewfinder or grip... did these aspects bother you, or did you find it good to use?
03-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 370
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Lovely shot from a very nice camera! Did you buy it, or were you just trying it? I would love to own one of Leica's newer digital cameras like this. I wonder how you got on with the lack of a viewfinder or grip... did these aspects bother you, or did you find it good to use?
I did buy it. Got a great deal on eBay. The deal included an EVF as well. This camera would be a lot better if it has a built in EVF, certainly I would not be able to use it effectively without the EVF. Having said all of that the quality of the zoom (although slow) is very impressive and the colors are as lovely as I was expecting. It creates DNG RAW files so PP is just like the Pentax, but the file above is straight out of the camera. The BW High Contrast setting produces really great files.

Even though I have only a week with the camera I would certainly recommend as a walkabout camera. It covers a lot of ground you can still get a good one for around $1k in the USA. The Olympus EVF is apparently the same as the Leica branded one but only costs $200 so in total not a huge investment to for a 16MP Leica camera with a good lens.

The lack of grip just takes a little getting used to; there is an OEM one, but I don't want the camera to be any bigger than it already is.
03-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 16,158
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
I did buy it. Got a great deal on eBay. The deal included an EVF as well. This camera would be a lot better if it has a built in EVF, certainly I would not be able to use it effectively without the EVF. Having said all of that the quality of the zoom (although slow) is very impressive and the colors are as lovely as I was expecting. It creates DNG RAW files so PP is just like the Pentax, but the file above is straight out of the camera. The BW High Contrast setting produces really great files.

Even though I have only a week with the camera I would certainly recommend as a walkabout camera. It covers a lot of ground you can still get a good one for around $1k in the USA. The Olympus EVF is apparently the same as the Leica branded one but only costs $200 so in total not a huge investment to for a 16MP Leica camera with a good lens.

The lack of grip just takes a little getting used to; there is an OEM one, but I don't want the camera to be any bigger than it already is.
Oh, congratulations then! Yeah, I think I would need the EVF too. I don't see the slow-ish zoom lens as a problem if IQ is good (which it clearly is from the reviews and all the photos I've seen). The out-of-camera file is impressive... I prefer working with RAW (as I think you do from your comments), but clearly this gives you a very viable option.

From the reviews I've read, and photos I've seen, you're going to have a *lot* of fun with that camera. Enjoy!

03-18-2016, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 370
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Oh, congratulations then! Yeah, I think I would need the EVF too. I don't see the slow-ish zoom lens as a problem if IQ is good (which it clearly is from the reviews and all the photos I've seen). The out-of-camera file is impressive... I prefer working with RAW (as I think you do from your comments), but clearly this gives you a very viable option.

From the reviews I've read, and photos I've seen, you're going to have a *lot* of fun with that camera. Enjoy!
Here is a RAW file from the camera. PP in PS.
03-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 16,158
Lovely! The detail in the branches and the wisps of cloud is excellent. Nice IR-style processing too
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
leica, vario
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leica X Vario RonHendriks1966 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 7 07-02-2013 02:28 PM
Leica X2 and Leica V-Lux 40 jpzk Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 9 05-11-2012 06:21 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:29 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top