Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leica X Vario

Just being trying out the Leica X Vario. The BW output reminds me a lot of the K3 plus the FA Limited combination. Lovely microcontrast. This is an OOC Jpeg with High contrast setting. Very nice.

03-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
Just being trying out the Leica X Vario. The BW output reminds me a lot of the K3 plus the FA Limited combination. Lovely microcontrast. This is an OOC Jpeg with High contrast setting. Very nice.
Lovely shot from a very nice camera! Did you buy it, or were you just trying it? I would love to own one of Leica's newer digital cameras like this. I wonder how you got on with the lack of a viewfinder or grip... did these aspects bother you, or did you find it good to use?
03-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Lovely shot from a very nice camera! Did you buy it, or were you just trying it? I would love to own one of Leica's newer digital cameras like this. I wonder how you got on with the lack of a viewfinder or grip... did these aspects bother you, or did you find it good to use?
I did buy it. Got a great deal on eBay. The deal included an EVF as well. This camera would be a lot better if it has a built in EVF, certainly I would not be able to use it effectively without the EVF. Having said all of that the quality of the zoom (although slow) is very impressive and the colors are as lovely as I was expecting. It creates DNG RAW files so PP is just like the Pentax, but the file above is straight out of the camera. The BW High Contrast setting produces really great files.

Even though I have only a week with the camera I would certainly recommend as a walkabout camera. It covers a lot of ground you can still get a good one for around $1k in the USA. The Olympus EVF is apparently the same as the Leica branded one but only costs $200 so in total not a huge investment to for a 16MP Leica camera with a good lens.

The lack of grip just takes a little getting used to; there is an OEM one, but I don't want the camera to be any bigger than it already is.
03-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
I did buy it. Got a great deal on eBay. The deal included an EVF as well. This camera would be a lot better if it has a built in EVF, certainly I would not be able to use it effectively without the EVF. Having said all of that the quality of the zoom (although slow) is very impressive and the colors are as lovely as I was expecting. It creates DNG RAW files so PP is just like the Pentax, but the file above is straight out of the camera. The BW High Contrast setting produces really great files.

Even though I have only a week with the camera I would certainly recommend as a walkabout camera. It covers a lot of ground you can still get a good one for around $1k in the USA. The Olympus EVF is apparently the same as the Leica branded one but only costs $200 so in total not a huge investment to for a 16MP Leica camera with a good lens.

The lack of grip just takes a little getting used to; there is an OEM one, but I don't want the camera to be any bigger than it already is.
Oh, congratulations then! Yeah, I think I would need the EVF too. I don't see the slow-ish zoom lens as a problem if IQ is good (which it clearly is from the reviews and all the photos I've seen). The out-of-camera file is impressive... I prefer working with RAW (as I think you do from your comments), but clearly this gives you a very viable option.

From the reviews I've read, and photos I've seen, you're going to have a *lot* of fun with that camera. Enjoy!

03-18-2016, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Oh, congratulations then! Yeah, I think I would need the EVF too. I don't see the slow-ish zoom lens as a problem if IQ is good (which it clearly is from the reviews and all the photos I've seen). The out-of-camera file is impressive... I prefer working with RAW (as I think you do from your comments), but clearly this gives you a very viable option.

From the reviews I've read, and photos I've seen, you're going to have a *lot* of fun with that camera. Enjoy!
Here is a RAW file from the camera. PP in PS.
03-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely! The detail in the branches and the wisps of cloud is excellent. Nice IR-style processing too