Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2016, 10:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Favorite non-Pentax camera?

So the other day I uploaded my Pentax LX review over at YouTube. I open it noting that the LX is my second-favorite camera to shoot. So, logically, a number of people have commented or e-mailed to find out my favorite.

For me, it's the Minolta Alpha (Dynax/Maxxum) 9

Ergonomically, it's ideal for me. I've actually gotten to, on a number of occasions when I've made the reason to, gotten to use the 1/12,000th fastest shutter speed (what a gas -- you should to over-expose 1/3 of an aperture stop to account for film reciprocity failure because the shutter speed is faster than 1/10,000th). And it's just a joy to use.

So what's your favorite non-Pentax camera?

Why?

Have an image from it?

My dog Cheever, Kodak 400 TX @1600, D-76 stock for 4:30. Here I was testing the flash sync, which is 1/300th.

03-18-2016, 02:15 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
So the other day I uploaded my Pentax LX review over at YouTube. I open it noting that the LX is my second-favorite camera to shoot. So, logically, a number of people have commented or e-mailed to find out my favorite.

For me, it's the Minolta Alpha (Dynax/Maxxum) 9

Ergonomically, it's ideal for me. I've actually gotten to, on a number of occasions when I've made the reason to, gotten to use the 1/12,000th fastest shutter speed (what a gas -- you should to over-expose 1/3 of an aperture stop to account for film reciprocity failure because the shutter speed is faster than 1/10,000th). And it's just a joy to use.

So what's your favorite non-Pentax camera?

Why?

Have an image from it?

My dog Cheever, Kodak 400 TX @1600, D-76 stock for 4:30. Here I was testing the flash sync, which is 1/300th.
Wow, I didn't realise there were film cameras that go to 1/12000s - I want one!!

If we're talking film then I think my favourite non-Pentax camera would be my Yashica Mat 124G. Fun to use, compact for a 6x6 TLR and great image quality.

Here she is:

Yashica Mat 124G
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

And a few favourite photos from her:

Portra 400 Granada 011a

Portra 400 Granada 008a

Yashica 124G Fuji 160NS 006a

If we're talking 135 format then I'd have to say either my Minolta SRT-101b or the recently-acquired Ricoh XR-M. The Minolta has a great classic camera feel in use, wonderful shutter sound and is just the right size for my hands. The Ricoh is good and solid and has a nice big grip full of four AAs to run the noisy film advance motor and has some pretty advanced features for it's day. The only motorised 135 format SLR I really enjoy using.
03-18-2016, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh XR-1. Although I generally like my film cameras tiny (ME), the Ricoh feels a little more ergonomic in my hands than similar-sized Pentaxes (e.g. Spotmatic) for some reason. Alas, last night something really bizarre happened - the match-needle bar that the camera uses to dictate correct exposure (as determined by the light meter) is no longer visible in the viewfinder. I had been planning on sending it in for a check of the meter, CLA and repair of light seals; now I have a sick feeling I'll be sending it in for donation of spare parts... Don't know if I'll get another one if that happens - there may be something else on the horizon.
03-18-2016, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For 135, the Contax RTS II (just serviced) because of its large viewfinder with simple but easy read out, nice feel in the hands, and great controls layout. Aperture priority is there if you want it, otherwise well organized manual, Zeiss lenses... It looks great, too. ...I still love my Pentax!

03-18-2016, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I love my Pentax K3II and use it for landscapes and still life photos taken from a tripod. Pixel shift is a terrific feature.

However, when I'm looking to shoot quick/handheld/with little post processing, I often use my Fuji X-E2 and shoot JPGs. It produces better OOC JPGs than does Pentax, and its' the only camera that offers true "ISO bracketing" (which enables you to make one shot HDR images).

Here's a photo I took with my Fuji X-E2...

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 11-14-2016 at 08:49 PM.
03-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Wow, I didn't realise there were film cameras that go to 1/12000s - I want one!!
They're absolutely worth the investment, especially since they're cheaper than LX bodies right now.
03-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
They're absolutely worth the investment, especially since they're cheaper than LX bodies right now.
But what's the lens selection like, and is there any support for MF legacy glass? I had a Dynax 3xi once and it was nice, but I often wondered what the growth potential and support structure would have been like if I had stayed with Minolta instead of swapping to Pentax.

03-19-2016, 11:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
But what's the lens selection like, and is there any support for MF legacy glass? I had a Dynax 3xi once and it was nice, but I often wondered what the growth potential and support structure would have been like if I had stayed with Minolta instead of swapping to Pentax.
Good. They support Sony (Minolta) Alpha lenses, but there's some distance-checking thing that not all Alpha 9 bodies support. The modification for support was rare, I'm told, but I don't know if that means they don't support the lens at all or just not some aspect of focusing.

I only have one native lens for it, the really good 50mm 1.7. I have an M42 to Alpha adapter with AF chip that allows me to use all my M42 lenses at infinity. Most of my shooting with it is with M42 lenses.

If Pentax announced tomorrow that they were going to stop making cameras, I'd be a Sony customer. But I won't jump ship to them because I'm not a billionaire and I hear mixed things about Sony's plans, or lack thereof, for future Alpha support. Son'ys lenses are simply amazing and they charge for the amazingness, too. There's a lot more lens oomph for a much better value in Pentax.

As for my one Minolta Alpha lens, I can't afford a second one. I'd love to upgrade to the Alpha 50mm 1.4 and get a 28mm 2.8, but I also have rent. Because Sony DSLRs and DSLTs use the Minolta Alpha mount, the old Minolta glass has really held its value.
03-20-2016, 01:23 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Leica rangefinders, both film and digital. I've used them for 50 years, as most of my shooting is suited to normal to wide angle lenses. I also use Leica SLRs (Leicaflex SL, R4, R6). For digital "SLR"-style work I prefer a Sony A7 body with adapted SMC-M Pentax lenses and Leica reflex lenses.
03-24-2016, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

For me it is the Hasselblad 500 C/M. You might be able to find one or two pictuers of one on the web if you are lucky

For my wife I think she would have to choose between her Hasselblad SWC or the Zero 2000. Close to the same field of view, slight differences in quality

Pinhole camera by Zero Image: Zero 2000 pinhole camera
03-24-2016, 01:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My Sony RX100i. The 28-100 eq AoV lens with the strong 1"-type sensor just lets me shoot. Being a real pocket-sized camera I can - and do - take it everywhere.
03-24-2016, 02:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Pinhole camera by Zero Image: Zero 2000 pinhole camera
That looks a bit like an up-market Ondu. Nice pinhole cameras!
03-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I liked the images I got from a D700 with its tremendous dynamic range. If Pentax had the Nikon 51 point AF I would be in heaven!

Last edited by wtlwdwgn; 03-24-2016 at 03:38 PM.
03-24-2016, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I still have an old Fuji F10 6mp compact camera. I rarely use it now, but I refuse to give it up because it sort of started my interest in photography. This is my favorite photo taken with it...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix F10  Photo 
03-24-2016, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #15

This may be cheating a bit, but my favorite non Pentax camera is the Ricoh GR. My other would be the Nikon F3. I love them both for the same reason: they represent what happens to a product when it is refined over multiple generations to near perfection. They feel and operate very differently, but are equally amazing to use.