Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2016, 04:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 370
World's Cheapest Leica ...

I am the owner of a "like new" X Vario, an ASPC Lecia with a fixed zoom lens. These can be had for a little over $1000 on eBay or refurbished, a camera that as almost $3k new a few years ago. I digress. This camera produces very nice pictures, the color rendering is lovely and BW output is spectacular with the right subject.

Just thought I would mention it is possible to get a camera like this which will produce similar/better results than my K5 plus an FA 43 limited for a similar price.

One sample taken yesterday ...



03-19-2016, 04:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 14,927
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote

Just thought I would mention it is possible to get a camera like this which will produce similar/better results than my K5 plus an FA 43 limited for a similar price.

Mike, am I wrong in assuming that compared to the K5 and FA43 this costs $1900 and is only f3.5 to 6.4?
03-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 370
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Mike, am I wrong in assuming that compared to the K5 and FA43 this costs $1900 and is only f3.5 to 6.4?
I managed to get a like new one for $1050 with $700 of accessories included. There are many out there for around $1000 plus of minus on eBay.

The slow nature of the lens is somewhat compensated for the great low light performance. I can easily shoot up to 3200 without worrying about image quality. At $2k-3k it's not such a good deal, but at $1K its a steal as you have a very good (almost prime like) quality lens thrown in.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but an affordable way to have a "carry around" Leica in your bag.
03-19-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 506
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
I managed to get a like new one for $1050 with $700 of accessories included. There are many out there for around $1000 plus of minus on eBay.

The slow nature of the lens is somewhat compensated for the great low light performance. I can easily shoot up to 3200 without worrying about image quality. At $2k-3k it's not such a good deal, but at $1K its a steal as you have a very good (almost prime like) quality lens thrown in.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but an affordable way to have a "carry around" Leica in your bag.
Congratulations on your acquisition.

In fact, I've been very impressed by the Leica X1 (discontinued). Really love the output! Different than the Pentax FA Limited rendering; it has the "Leica look". Actually marginally prefer the "look" of the X1 to the X2, which uses a Sony 16MP sensor, whereas the X1 uses the same 12MP sensor as that in the D300S, and with both using the same 24mm f2.8 lens (Elmarit, IIRC).

03-20-2016, 02:24 AM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3
You have got yourself a cracking camera at a good price. Its one of the best Leicas I have owned. One day it will be a classic camera like the Digilux 2.
03-20-2016, 03:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 370
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeicaDoug Quote
You have got yourself a cracking camera at a good price. Its one of the best Leicas I have owned. One day it will be a classic camera like the Digilux 2.
I have only had it for a couple of weeks, but it grows on me more every time I talk it out, even a "snapshot" seems to become something worth keeping or working on. My son's dog is a good example below.

03-21-2016, 01:21 AM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
I have only had it for a couple of weeks, but it grows on me more every time I talk it out, even a "snapshot" seems to become something worth keeping or working on. My son's dog is a good example below.
Its a nice camera for shooting in B/W

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
World's most expensive Leica Dewman Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 2 03-15-2016 12:44 PM
Leica S lenses on Pentax 645z? kparseg Pentax Medium Format 2 03-11-2016 09:13 PM
What's the cheapest place to buy bulk rolls of film? Nachodog Pentax Film SLR Discussion 7 12-05-2014 11:56 AM
World's cheapest Arca-Swiss plate pntxjack Photographic Technique 23 02-04-2013 06:04 AM
What's the cheapest audio recorder with XLR inputs? hockmasm Video and Pentax HDSLRs 2 03-22-2011 08:25 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:56 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top