Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2016, 07:33 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I saw an ad for Nikon DSLR's on TV last night !

Last night I was watching TV. The show "You Me and the Apocalypse" was on. During the show there was an ad for Nikon DSLR's. I cannot recall ever seeing a TV advertisement for Nikon DSLR.s before. It showed a young family taking photos of family events. The pitch was along the line: Don't the most important people in your life deserve to be photographed with the best cameras?

Reminded me of the old Kodak "Times of You Life" advertising theme.

03-25-2016, 07:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've rarely seen an actual TV Nikon ad by Nikon, but I have often seen TV ads that feature, emphasize, a Nikon DSLR (for example, from an electronics store, from a Photography event, things like that).
Yeah, Pentax should definitely invest more into its marketing. I think you can find some videos online, of Pentax TV ads from some decades ago. But recently, you can only see Pentax ads on internet or in some photography magazines (still rather rare)
03-25-2016, 08:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Canon seems to advertise a lot on tv Nikon not as much. But I see Nikon cameras on several shows.
03-25-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

This one area that I feel Pentax is lacking in. I don't think they need to put ads on TV but they do need to step up the marketing some.

Advertising cost a lot of money but, it also depends on how it is done. TV ads can cost upwards of $100,000 or more for a 30 second ad but how much would it cost to mail a post card to the subscribers of Shutterbug Magazine?

On the other hand none of this matters unless Pentax puts the camera's and lenses into more brick and mortar stores around the world.

03-25-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nikon has actually done a lot of adverting DSLRs on TV in the US. For several years Ashton Kutcher was featured in Nikon ads for DSLRs and other Nikon products. I still see the ads but they seem to be less often. But with so many television networks you may not see the same advertising. I watch a lot of sports on TV and my wife watches a lot of home improvement networks. I will tell her about a commercial I saw over and over on Fox Sports 1 or ESPN and she will never see it.

I think you see less and less TV advertising for DSLRs, TV advertising is expensive, and the advertiser is paying to reach big numbers, not all of which they feel are potential customers. They are getting a lot more bang for the buck with Social Media, internet presence, and direct email, non traditional advertising methods but effective today. Look at the results, supposedly Pentax has increased market share with little to no traditional advertising and limited B&M presence. And it's obvious that Social media is the most important, way more than their own website which has pages neglected for months.
03-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm home on a holiday today and overheard a Nikon ad on the Cooking Network (my other hobby). I wasn't really watching, just listening while making lunch with the television on in the other room.

In the USA I believe this means Nikon thinks we are finally emerging from the tail of the financial crisis. Unemployment is under 5%, wages are rising, inflation is pushing the % and the Fed is raising interest rates. Consumers, the , might have an appetite for discretionary purchases.

Good news for the K-1, too.
03-25-2016, 11:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I heard that ad while reading a book. Think old office episodes were on. Reminded me of the ads from the d40 which ran a lot ten years ago.