Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
@bertwert - PM me your address, and I'd be happy to send a sample of the better chocolate here in the UK - it's the least I can do for the nod on those Yongnuo lenses
No thanks.
But thanks for the offer.

*when people take a joke seriously*

03-30-2016, 03:28 PM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
No thanks.
But thanks for the offer.

*when people take a joke seriously*
Sheesh... well, I offered... I should get chocolate to compensate for the rejection...
03-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Sheesh... well, I offered... I should get chocolate to compensate for the rejection...
Well anyways enjoy your new Canon lenses...
03-30-2016, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No...
BUt as he is my 'friend' he should give me chocolate.

But I'll give you my address if you have spare lenses....
I'll give you spare lenses if you have spare money.

03-30-2016, 09:55 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So I just bought a *brand new* (as in, boxed, sealed, unopened, never used, reputable source) Canon EOS-5 35mm SLR and VG-10 battery grip - a nice pro-sumer / semi-pro 35mm setup (just from the wrong manufacturer!! ). I have no Canon or compatible lenses whatsoever, which will be no surprise to anyone here who knows me, as I'm primarily a Pentax lad. However, I'm hoping that someone on the forum can help... I'd like to get myself a lens or two so I can give the new camera a work-out, and I have no idea (a) which mount lenses are compatible, and (b) what might be good, reasonably-low-cost choices. I know I can find this by searching the inter-web-net, but hoping you good folks here might be able to help me short-cut that process. A nifty-fifty would be nice, so too would be a 35mm (or anything else in the moderately wide / normal / short-tele range)... what should I be looking for?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you!
You can get a cheap adapter that allows you to use K-mount M- and A-type lenses on your Canon body. It's a stop-down solution, but it has worked for me, though without LiveView and unlimited digital imaging,it may be more trial and error or just a PITA. Better yet would be using an EOS adapter on an M42 lens. I have found that adapted M42 lenses work better and more conveniently on a Canon body than on a Pentax one--mainly because the adapter stays with the lens. They are cheap enough so each M42 can have its own adapter and, like Pentax, you can shoot Av. This is more convenient if you plan on using other types of lenses (such as native EOS-mount ones) during a shoot.

M
03-31-2016, 09:34 AM   #21
osv
Veteran Member

However, I'm hoping that someone on the forum can help... I'd like to get myself a lens or two so I can give the new camera a work-out, and I have no idea (a) which mount lenses are compatible, and (b) what might be good, reasonably-low-cost choices.
40mm stm would be my first choice, i'm getting one when i decide what ef adapter to use on the a7r.

Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Review

not sure how that'll play out on a film camera tho?
04-09-2016, 02:34 PM   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You'll want a Canon EF lens. All modern options should work as Canon has stuck with the same mount interface for a while AFAIK.

The 50mm F1.8 might be a good place to start:
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens 0570C002 B&H Photo Video
Well, Adam, I should have listened to you!!

I bought two Yongnuo lenses - the 50mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/2.4. Both seemed OK - rather good, in fact, if rather low-budget (but that's fine, considering what I paid for them). However, both lenses have caused my EOS 5 to drain the battery in a matter of hours, even with the camera switched off, and the lenses set to MF (I went through three Duracell Ultra 2CR5 batteries before I understood what was causing the problem!!!).

Researching the issue on the inter-web-inet, it seems I'm far from alone in experiencing this - it's a really common problem (more surprising was that a number of people seem to have had problems with Yongnuo speedlights doing the same thing!). Anyway, I've returned both lenses for a refund and ordered the exact lens you had originally suggested - the Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM

04-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I bought two Yongnuo lenses - the 50mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/2.4. Both seemed OK - rather good, in fact, if rather low-budget (but that's fine, considering what I paid for them). However, both lenses have caused my EOS 5 to drain the battery in a matter of hours, even with the camera switched off, and the lenses set to MF (I went through three Duracell Ultra 2CR5 batteries before I understood what was causing the problem!!!).

Researching the issue on the inter-web-inet, it seems I'm far from alone in experiencing this - it's a really common problem (more surprising was that a number of people seem to have had problems with Yongnuo speedlights doing the same thing!). Anyway, I've returned both lenses for a refund and ordered the exact lens you had originally suggested - the Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM
Interesting...

Sorry for giving you bad advice, I didn't know of this issue (I am a Pentax user after all...)
04-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hope the Canon lens works out Like the DA 50mm, it's a plastic fantastic- an amazing value for the price.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting...

Sorry for giving you bad advice, I didn't know of this issue (I am a Pentax user after all...)
Not at all, Bertwert - I was grateful for the info. Hey, I got to try the lenses - which was fun in itself - and optically they're actually decent. If it wasn't for the battery drain problem, I would have been completely satisfied with them. So, again, thanks for the info. If Yongnuo ever releases K-mount versions, I can warn our members to look out for this as a potential issue - so in the end, it's a positive thing
04-09-2016, 04:28 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
You can get a cheap adapter that allows you to use K-mount M- and A-type lenses on your Canon body. It's a stop-down solution, but it has worked for me, though without LiveView and unlimited digital imaging,it may be more trial and error or just a PITA. Better yet would be using an EOS adapter on an M42 lens. I have found that adapted M42 lenses work better and more conveniently on a Canon body than on a Pentax one--mainly because the adapter stays with the lens. They are cheap enough so each M42 can have its own adapter and, like Pentax, you can shoot Av. This is more convenient if you plan on using other types of lenses (such as native EOS-mount ones) during a shoot.
Solutions like this are OK if you are seriously strapped for cash ... but only then. I'm the guy who moved from Pentax to Canon in 1995 because of the Canon EF-mount {"EOS-mount"} lenses, and then came back to Pentax this year because of the bodies. I remain convinced that the Canon EF-mount lenses are very good; despite comments about plastic mounts, I used one of their plastic-mount lenses for eleven years without any problems at all, and the motors always worked smoothly and quietly. Used EF-mount lenses are plentiful and reasonably priced.
04-09-2016, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Solutions like this are OK if you are seriously strapped for cash ... but only then.
I disagree in that economics have zero to do with why I use a few M42 lenses on my Canon bodies. I just prefer the rendering, which can include aberrations, that a few older lenses provide. I have at least a dozen of excellent EF-mount lenses in focal lengths ranging from 12mm-600mm and from just about every maker.

M
04-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #28
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
@Adam - well, the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens arrived today, and it's a beauty. Plastic, yes, but extremely solid and very nicely finished for the price. Much more solid and refined than the Yongnuo offerings (and the old Canon 50mm f/1.8 also, I understand). The only weird thing is the stepper motor "focus by wire" when in MF, or when overriding AF (a la Pentax Quick-Shift) - but it seems to work well enough. Fast and quiet AF too. I've had it fitted to the EOS 5 all day and have played around with it quite a bit, and I still have a full battery according to the indicator on the camera's LCD panel. You wouldn't *believe* how relieved I am... In my heart, I knew the problem was with those Yongnuo lenses, but the way my luck's been going of late, I had an awful feeling that I'd see the same battery drain problem with the Canon lens, and it would turn out to be a fault with my beautiful EOS 5 Anyway, thanks again for the advice. Now I just need to get out and shoot this baby!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-13-2016 at 01:13 PM.
04-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Glad to hear it all working nicely now
04-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #30
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Glad to hear it all working nicely now
Thanks It's a shame about those Yongnuo lenses - I suspect I'd have been very happy with them optically, for my requirements, and the 35mm f/2 in particular was a really excellent price. In fact, if they manage to sort out the battery drain problems with them, I'd definitely consider trying another... less than £70 including shipping for a 35mm f/2 is *cheap*

I'm very impressed with the Canon lens... compared to the DA50 f/1.8, of which I'm a big fan, it feels nicer to me... just that bit more robust, and the manual focus ring is so *smooth* (perhaps because of the focus-by-wire, but still)... I'll be interested to see how it performs optically, but the reviews suggest I should be more than satisfied