Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2016, 10:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Theres some Lemming fatalities at Sony

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ua...18443451,d.dGY

some interesting references to the K1 and IBIS

04-01-2016, 12:03 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
This part intrigues me

"It is interesting to compare the relative diameters of various mounts:

Minolta/Sony A mount AF system diameter: 49.7mm
Sony E mount diameter: 46.1mm
Fuji X mount diameter: 44mm
Canon EOS EF mount: 54mm
Pentax K mount: 44mm​

From this you can that see Sony were better off putting IBIS into their A mount, which has a wider diameter, because it is more of a dedicated full frame mount, not an APS-C mount. You can also see that both Sony and Pentax are adding IBIS to excessively narrow mounts purely as a marketing ploy, with flagrant disregard towards optical fundamentals. It represents the victory of advertising over engineering."

Is it true that pentax is making a compromise on image quality especially on the corners ?
04-01-2016, 12:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iss2012 Quote
This part intrigues me

"It is interesting to compare the relative diameters of various mounts:

Minolta/Sony A mount AF system diameter: 49.7mm
Sony E mount diameter: 46.1mm
Fuji X mount diameter: 44mm
Canon EOS EF mount: 54mm
Pentax K mount: 44mm​

From this you can that see Sony were better off putting IBIS into their A mount, which has a wider diameter, because it is more of a dedicated full frame mount, not an APS-C mount. You can also see that both Sony and Pentax are adding IBIS to excessively narrow mounts purely as a marketing ploy, with flagrant disregard towards optical fundamentals. It represents the victory of advertising over engineering."

Is it true that pentax is making a compromise on image quality especially on the corners ?
This has been discussed elsewhere on the Forum. Unless Fuji users have had unique access to the K-1, and discovered something that others here haven't, I don't see how they can credibly claim that Pentax K-mount cameras are compromised by IBIS. The K-mount was, of course, designed to cover a full 35mm frame, not just an APS-C frame.

The sensor movements necessary to implement successful IBIS are not as great as some would have us believe, and the only question about potential clipping (not really "image quality") in the corners relates to some older lens designs, whose image circles may be too small to use IBIS without it occurring.

We'll all get to see for sure when the K-1 arrives, but this quote looks like marketing FUD, to me.
04-01-2016, 12:25 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I remember all the calculations and numbers the naysayers presented on this forum four or so years ago with respect to Pentax being able to implement IBIS on a fullframe body, given the limitations of the mount diameter, the registration distance, and the size of the image circle. It'll be interesting to see what the corner performance is like with SR on and whether Ricoh was able to push it to the limits of what is physically possible given the constraints.

04-01-2016, 01:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
We'll all get to see for sure when the K-1 arrives, but this quote looks like marketing FUD, to me.
Agree. I suspect they are embarrassed that Pentax of all people were (AFAIK) first in, best dressed with cameras that gave stabilisation with all their lenses ever and want to slip in some disinformation while they still can, before the K-1 gets into the hands of a gazillion photographers who can all cry "bullshit" with one unanimous voice.
04-01-2016, 06:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
My favorite argument for the "superiority" of non-stabilized Fujis in the thread:

"I have one eyed vision. and, what strikes me, is too much detail in high res. images revealed.
I don't know about prints, as I don't do them yet, but on the computer screen too much detail makes me feel uneasy and distracted.
Often, by seeing other people's images, I feel I want to puke."
Is he a one eyed photographer working out of the institute for the blind? That has to be one of the weirdest things I've seen posted.
04-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
"… on the computer screen too much detail makes me feel uneasy and distracted.
Often, by seeing other people's images, I feel I want to puke."
Those two sentences aren't necessarily related, of course. The source of nausea could be envy, or fear.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Is he a one eyed photographer working out of the institute for the blind? That has to be one of the weirdest things I've seen posted.
That expression has to be up there with the one-armed bricklayer in Baghdad.

On the other hand, there was an Australian movie called "Proof" a few years ago, about a blind man who carried a camera with him to provide evidence that he'd been to various places and met people.

04-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Funny he left out this view I wonder why?
Attached Images

04-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From the original poster at fujix-forum:
"If you want IBIS, you have to design the mount in advance with a wider diameter"
"Sony and Pentax are adding IBIS to excessively narrow mounts purely as a marketing ploy, with flagrant disregard towards optical fundamentals"

This person doesn't seem to be able to comprehend the way flange to sensor distance and mount diameter combine in three dimensions to determine the potential image circle. Unless the intent is to suggest that the relatively short registration distance on Fuji's X-mount makes it easier to design fisheye lenses, this is a glaring oversight that makes "marketing ploy, with flagrant disregard towards optical fundamentals" sound rather silly. I really shouldn't complain about constricted mental field of view in posts in this forum.
04-01-2016, 05:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iss2012 Quote
You can also see that both Sony and Pentax are adding IBIS to excessively narrow mounts purely as a marketing ploy, with flagrant disregard towards optical fundamentals.
^hyperbole and a half^

Both Pentax K and the sony A mount ( originally developed by Minolta) are both from the film era. Long before digital photography, before IBIS systems were even conceivable.

Mount diameter places limits on how fast a lens can be designed for a particular mount*, also the flange distance between the mount and the sensor itself are another factor in this equation. One glaring omission on this is that the Nikon F mount has an identical diameter to pentax K, [Nikon F=44mm] and Nikkor cameras and lenses aren't magically superior to pentax lenses due to a lack of IBIS are they?...Not at all.

* Mount diameter has no effect on image quality in the corners.