Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2016, 07:29 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jackloganbill Quote
I did not realize this forum was intended for power users. My mistake. Please ignore my simple-minded observation.
You didn't realize that DSLR users like to know learn about how to use their cameras? Why did they buy a DSLR then? Isn't it that they wanted more control, something more than "set the camera to auto and go". While I agree, there are some that buy DSLRs as a kind of status thing, without understanding what it can do. They just notice good photographers use them and assume that they should be easier to use, and have no idea of the kinds of things they are capable of should you learn what they do.

But ya, most of the forum are folks who don't use auto a whole lot. Maybe you just plan to talk to the overwhelming minority who just want to look like a pro, while shooting like an amateur. Is there a forum group for that? Maybe you could start one?

The "I only shoot auto and that's all I want to talk about club."

Or the "I know nothing so I need a the camera that will give me the best pictures club."

Forgive us for assuming you might be a little more ambitious than that.

We always think the best of people until they prove us wrong.

Last edited by normhead; 04-14-2016 at 07:39 AM.
04-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I did not realize this forum was intended for power users. My mistake. Please ignore my simple-minded observation.
To put it more politely than Norm - a $1000 dollar camera should produce good photos in auto mode and comparing it with a 3year old K50 doesn't tell anybody very much.
04-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Do any of you share your cameras with family members???? I think the point is a valid one. It's a Pro level camera that you can switch to Auto hand off to your spouse or other family member and be confident that they will take an excellent image.

---------- Post added 04-14-16 at 11:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You didn't realize that DSLR users like to know learn about how to use their cameras? Why did they buy a DSLR then? Isn't it that they wanted more control, something more than "set the camera to auto and go". While I agree, there are some that buy DSLRs as a kind of status thing, without understanding what it can do. They just notice good photographers use them and assume that they should be easier to use, and have no idea of the kinds of things they are capable of should you learn what they do.
I don't think he implied this at all. Calm down

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 04-14-2016 at 08:18 AM.
04-14-2016, 09:03 AM   #64
Pentaxian

He didn't imply it, he said it directly....

QuoteQuote:
I did not realize this forum was intended for power users.
And I am completely calm. This is the logical , un-emotional place this thread should go.
At some point, someone needs to ask this guy, "do you want to learn how to use your camera?"
I like to have fun with this stuff....

QuoteQuote:
To put it more politely than Norm - a $1000 dollar camera should produce good photos in auto mode and comparing it with a 3year old K50 doesn't tell anybody very much.
To put it politely , the more capable camera you buy, the more you will get out of it by getting away from auto mode. Those buying the FF are about to move up to the next level of "the larger the format, the more control you have, and the more you have to know to make the best of the camera." I suspect for the type of picture being discussed here a smaller format camera might be better. But I don't know because the OP has left us in the dark. We don't have a clue what he's talking about. We only know what he thinks.

QuoteQuote:
It's a Pro level camera that you can switch to Auto hand off to your spouse or other family member and be confident that they will take an excellent image.
Nothing in this thread suggests you can't do the same thing with a K-30. What is suggested is that right out of the box the Sony might be better. But with a few simple adjustments changing the Pentax factory presets to something more like Sony output, it's quite possible our OP could hand the camera off to his spouse and get the same results in auto.

All that's been established is that if everybody knows nothing at all about their cameras, the Sony A6300 might be better, right out of the box, based on one man's opinion and preferences. Everything else is nonsense.

04-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Watch this video he gets almost 1200 shots out of 2 batteries shooting a wedding with just one A6300
04-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Watch this video he gets almost 1200 shots out of 2 batteries shooting a wedding with just one A6300
https://youtu.be/aIw8bFM5rJQ
This was and continues to be the shameless promotion of Sony equipment without providing any useful information thread. A battery change takes me about 45 seconds, how long does it take you? People have shot weddings with a K-5s, Nikon D 7000s, and countless other cameras. Benjikon used to do fashion shoots with a K-20D.

This is turning into the "hit Pentax users with shameless Sony promotion" thread.

Are you ever going to show us a picture?

Do you know every shameless Sony promotion site on the whole internet?

Are there no Sony sites to post stuff like this, where the mindless promotion of everything Sony will reinforce their purchasing decisions instead of disrespect their purchasing decisions?

What kind of person comes onto a site and posts "my son's camera $1200 is better than every one on this site's who owns a K-30".
What about a little respect for those K-30 shooters who are capable of producing great photos with the camera, or who honestly can't afford anything better. Why do they deserve to have this trash shoved in their face?

Were you folks born ignorant or are you self made?

I'm making it my goal to make sure, if you're corporate Sony trolls gunning for Pentax customers, I will make sure not one Pentax user gets sucked in by this shameless partisan advertising, by anything other than good information. Not this trash. I could care less if there are things Sony does people might want. It insults the whole forum to think performance right out of the box would be one of them. That applies only to the type of person, who buys a complicated product and won't read the manual.

And we get trashed for not being that type of person? Really? Sorry, some of us have half a brain, we apologize.

You've yet to prove that a forum user using a K-30 can't get better pictures than he would get with an A6300. It could be a waste of $500 getting one. You've yet to prove anything at all. Talk is cheap.

Most people faced with a choice, of spending $500 more for a product or reading the manual for an hour and figuring out who they want their camera set up to their own satisfaction, will take the $500 and read. That the OP isn't and chooses to proclaim it to the world? Wat wid dat?

Last edited by normhead; 04-14-2016 at 10:50 AM.
04-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can't do the same with a K-3+two batteries? You really do not need much to be impressed (a 1080p video impresses you). Can the A6300 focus at -3ev ?

But ya, most of the forum are folks who don't use auto a whole lot. Maybe you just plan to talk to the overwhelming minority who just want to look like a pro, while shooting like an amateur.
Well, when someone judges a camera by a 1080p video, that's enough to know that there is a full range of photographers with various backgrounds, experience and know how.

04-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #68
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
In this chart, the A6300 "performs" slightly less than D7200 up to iso400 (=about the same as the K-3). Over 400 iso, a little bit of improvement over 2 or 3 years old K-3 camera, like for any new camera, the difference is tiny.
starting at iso400, that difference approaches the performance of the ff d750: Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO Setting iso noise will never be comparable, tho.

yes, it looks like a rather small difference in sensors on the chart, so perhaps the most noticeable difference will be with things like much improved af.

---------- Post added 04-14-16 at 10:49 AM ----------

My point was simply that the A6300, in AUTO mode, appears to capture great photos. Its software, lens quality, internal computer, etc., evidently are sophisticated and do a great job capturing a scene, setting the right exposure and so forth.
auto mode is how most people use cameras, i think that's a valid observation.

---------- Post added 04-14-16 at 10:53 AM ----------

You can't do the same with a K-3+two batteries? You really do not need much to be impressed (a 1080p video impresses you). Can the A6300 focus at -3ev ?
"With the Sony FE 70-200 F4, the results were really impressive. Not only could the camera happily sustain focus on the subject traveling towards the camera, but in tracking mode with a medium-sized focus target (Lock-On: Flexible Spot M) it was able to keep track of a subject weaving around in the frame. At 8 fps.

This is a really impressive result: the closest we've seen to a 100% hit-rate in this test so far. The Canon 1D X II and Nikon D5 may well be able to match this performance, but there isn't a DSLR that can focus so far out towards the edge of the frame as this. What's all the more impressive is that there aren't any complex settings that need to be configured to get this result - it's essentially point and shoot."
Upwardly mobile: Sony a6300 Review: Digital Photography Review
04-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #69
Pentaxian

This was and continues to be the shameless promotion of Sony equipment without providing any useful information thread. A battery change takes me about 45 seconds, how long does it take you? People have shot weddings with a K-5s, Nikon D 7000s, and countless other cameras. Benjikon used to do fashion shoots with a K-20D.

This is turning into the "hit Pentax users with shameless Sony promotion" thread.

Are you ever going to show us a picture?

Do you know every shameless Sony promotion site on the whole internet?

Are there no Sony sites to post stuff like this, where the mindless promotion of everything Sony will reinforce their purchasing decisions instead of disrespect their purchasing decisions?

What kind of person comes onto a site and posts "my son's camera $1200 is better than every one on this site's who owns a K-30".
What about a little respect for those K-30 shooters who are capable of producing great photos with the camera, or who honestly can't afford anything better. Why do they deserve to have this trash shoved in their face?

Were you folks born ignorant or are you self made?

I'm making it my goal to make sure, if you're corporate Sony trolls gunning for Pentax customers, I will make sure not one Pentax user gets sucked in by this shameless partisan advertising, by anything other than good information. Not this trash. I could care less if there are things Sony does people might want. It insults the whole forum to think performance right out of the box would be one of them. That applies only to the type of person, who buys a complicated product and won't read the manual.

And we get trashed for not being that type of person? Really? Sorry, some of us have half a brain, we apologize.

You've yet to prove that a forum user using a K-30 can't get better pictures than he would get with an A6300. It could be a waste of $500 getting one. You've yet to prove anything at all. Talk is cheap.

Most people faced with a choice, of spending $500 more for a product or reading the manual for an hour and figuring out who they want their camera set up to their own satisfaction, will take the $500 and read. That the OP isn't and chooses to proclaim it to the world? Wat wid dat?
OP talking bout K50 not K30 Read the posts.
04-14-2016, 11:50 AM   #70
Pentaxian

OP talking bout K50 not K30 Read the posts.
What's the difference between a K50 and a K30 ?

About the video above: Jason Lanier is hired by Sony to market their stuff. It's all about market, it has nothing to do with photography, and his message is: sony is good because it's good. Full of void.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-14-2016 at 12:18 PM.
04-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #71
Pentaxian

About the video above: Jason Lanier is hired by Sony to market their stuff. It's all about market, it has nothing to do with photography, and his message is: sony is good because it's good. Full of void.
He is not hired by Sony he emphasizes that in all of his videos. Not payed a dime nor given equipment by them.
04-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #72
Pentaxian

He is not hired by Sony he emphasizes that in all of his videos. Not payed a dime nor given equipment by them.
Ok, if you believe it. I'll stop here since this is pure waste of time.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-14-2016 at 01:00 PM.
04-14-2016, 01:26 PM   #73
Pentaxian

...I take decent pictures with the K-50, but whether it is the camera, the glass, the internal software, my images do not seem to have the same high level of clarity....
The JPG settings on your K-50 can be adjusted to suit your tastes. For example, some people prefer the "Bright" color profile, others prefer "Natural". Post some sample photos showing similar scenes with the K-50 and Sony so people can make suggestions how to adjust your K-50 profile to get a look you prefer.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 04-14-2016 at 02:56 PM.
04-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #74
Pentaxian

You really do not need much to be impressed (a 1080p video impresses you)
1080p is a lot larger than Pentax Forums allows for Images.

---------- Post added 04-14-16 at 05:41 PM ----------

So what you are saying is the k50 is actually rehashed 2012 technology.
04-14-2016, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To be fair to the OP, I think he asked an honest question. Perhaps phrased a bit loosely. At least I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Others have turned this into a Sony promotion video but the OP just asked a question. Which I still don't think he got a real answer to. At least not in simple terms.

So to the OP: The K-50 is a nice camera but somewhat dated at this point. I would expect a new camera from any brand, with new tech and new sensor, to produce good images. Better? Who knows, there are too many variables here. Turning this into a Sony versus the world thread has not really helped the OP. The question really should have been: should a brand new $1,000 plus camera produce better images than my 5 year old K-50? The answer is: maybe, maybe not.