Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You can't do the same with a K-3+two batteries?
You can do that with k3 it's a very good camera. Just debunks the whole poor battery life issue everybody brings up.

04-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #77
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
To be fair to the OP, I think he asked an honest question. Perhaps phrased a bit loosely. At least I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Others have turned this into a Sony promotion video but the OP just asked a question.
Bingo.

Which I still don't think he got a real answer to. At least not in simple terms.
Well, I still maintain that the K-50 (which I don't own, but isn't a million miles from my K-5, K-3 and K-3II) is capable of producing largely equivalent images - when viewed or printed at realistic sizes - if, and only if, it is used to the best of its abilities - which, sadly, almost certainly doesn't include the auto mode. Nothing wrong with auto, in my view - people should use what they feel comfortable with, so long as they understand what they're getting. And the Sony is probably streets ahead of the K-50 in that department - the sensor is new and improved, the JPEG algorithms will undoubtedly be at the forefront of their game. But if both cameras are used in their so-called "creative" modes - manual, aperture priority etc. - to get equivalent creative effects, and particularly with raw capture rather than JPEG, then the differences really shouldn't be significant in typical shooting conditions, at typical viewing sizes.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-14-2016 at 03:03 PM.
04-14-2016, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Ferrari RED K50 is streets ahead of any Sony, they are so slow off the mark.
04-14-2016, 03:00 PM   #79
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The Ferrari RED K50 is streets ahead of any Sony, they are so slow off the mark.
I assume this is meant sarcastically... otherwise it's just fuelling the fire. Which I know you wouldn't want to do... you just forgot the smilie at the end

04-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I agree but not after tonight I'm putting fuzzy dice on my wrist strap and spinners on my a6000 lenscap.
04-14-2016, 04:34 PM   #81

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You didn't realize that DSLR users like to know learn about how to use their cameras? Why did they buy a DSLR then? Isn't it that they wanted more control, something more than "set the camera to auto and go". While I agree, there are some that buy DSLRs as a kind of status thing, without understanding what it can do. They just notice good photographers use them and assume that they should be easier to use, and have no idea of the kinds of things they are capable of should you learn what they do.

But ya, most of the forum are folks who don't use auto a whole lot. Maybe you just plan to talk to the overwhelming minority who just want to look like a pro, while shooting like an amateur. Is there a forum group for that? Maybe you could start one?

The "I only shoot auto and that's all I want to talk about club."

Or the "I know nothing so I need a the camera that will give me the best pictures club."

Forgive us for assuming you might be a little more ambitious than that.

We always think the best of people until they prove us wrong.
I purchased the K-50 because I do use every feature of a camera. Until recently, I shoot mostly in M mode. Recently, I began exploring A and TV modes thinking the camera might do a better job setting exposure. My point only was that I was impressed even amazed at the quality of photo a novice can produce in AUTO freaking mode on the Sony. It is not a promotion of Sony. It was an observation and left me scratching my head that the latest generation of cameras can produce fantastic photos in AUTO mode. That's it. Nothing More!!!! Geez Loueezzzzeee!
04-14-2016, 04:39 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jackloganbill Quote
That's it. Nothing More!!!! Geez Loueezzzzeee!
Your error was mentioning the 'S' word. Saying Sony around here is a bit like waving a red flag. Next time just say "new camera".

04-14-2016, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #83

Original Poster
To be fair to the OP, I think he asked an honest question. Perhaps phrased a bit loosely. At least I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Others have turned this into a Sony promotion video but the OP just asked a question. Which I still don't think he got a real answer to. At least not in simple terms.

So to the OP: The K-50 is a nice camera but somewhat dated at this point. I would expect a new camera from any brand, with new tech and new sensor, to produce good images. Better? Who knows, there are too many variables here. Turning this into a Sony versus the world thread has not really helped the OP. The question really should have been: should a brand new $1,000 plus camera produce better images than my 5 year old K-50? The answer is: maybe, maybe not.
Thank you, some of you understand the simple observation I was trying to make. I like my K-50. Use it every single day!!! Travel with it!!! Taking it to France next week. Perhaps I did not state clearly my point in the original post. Cameras continue to evolve, continue to improve...Cameras like the A6300.... make it very easy for anyone to take incredible pictures. I have spent 50 years learning the woodworking craft. Today a novice can buy a computer and a computer-driven machine to carve, cut out perfect furniture parts, etc. No skill required. Same deal.

Jack
04-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #84
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I purchased the K-50 because I do use every feature of a camera. Until recently, I shoot mostly in M mode. Recently, I began exploring A and TV modes thinking the camera might do a better job setting exposure. My point only was that I was impressed even amazed at the quality of photo a novice can produce in AUTO freaking mode on the Sony. It is not a promotion of Sony. It was an observation and left me scratching my head that the latest generation of cameras can produce fantastic photos in AUTO mode. That's it. Nothing More!!!! Geez Loueezzzzeee!
You've had some varied responses here, for sure, and that will always be the case with passionate Pentax users For what it's worth, I don't think you were promoting Sony at all - I took your original post objectively and in the spirit it was meant. I hope you took my numerous responses the same way. I agree - some recent cameras (and Sony ranks right up there on this) do indeed produce stunning results in auto mode. The problem comes when you want to achieve different creative results than the in-camera engine provides, which for most serious amateurs (and beyond) will be what's most important. But for casual snap-shot photography, there's no denying the superiority of more modern offerings, and Pentax DSLRs haven't been great at this so far. Some of the folks around here get a little tired of the non-Pentax manufacturer-specific fan-boys arguing why their favourite camera beats Pentax into the ground, and I'm sure that's part of the reason for some of the responses you've had, even though you're clearly not one of those people. Please don't take it too seriously

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-14-2016 at 04:47 PM.
04-14-2016, 04:46 PM   #85
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you, some of you understand the simple observation I was trying to make. I like my K-50. Use it every single day!!! Travel with it!!! Taking it to France next week. Perhaps I did not state clearly my point in the original post. Cameras continue to evolve, continue to improve...Cameras like the A6300.... make it very easy for anyone to take incredible pictures. I have spent 50 years learning the woodworking craft. Today a novice can buy a computer and a computer-driven machine to carve, cut out perfect furniture parts, etc. No skill required. Same deal.
Spot on, Jack
04-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #86
Pentaxian

Each year we see a progression of tech,the processors make a fair bit of difference....some do wonders with the images captured even by the smaller sensored cams,and the RED ones look faster!
04-15-2016, 11:33 AM   #87
Pentaxian

Im not a Sony Fanboy. I just know that in the hands of someone who knows both systems K50/A6300 are not in the same IQ boat at all.
K3ii and A6300 yes same IQ boat I would not argue that.
Im not just a Pentax or Sony fan. Im a camera fan. I happen to use both and enjoy both systems I don't sell myself short by not trying different systems.
04-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #88
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Im not a Sony Fanboy. I just know that in the hands of someone who knows both systems K50/A6300 are not in the same IQ boat at all.
K3ii and A6300 yes same IQ boat I would not argue that.
Im not just a Pentax or Sony fan. Im a camera fan. I happen to use both and enjoy both systems I don't sell myself short by not trying different systems.
And what sane person would expect a K-50 {released three years ago, currently costing $295 for a body} to compare favorably to an A6300 {released this year, currently costing $998 for a body}???
04-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do have a hard time figuring this out. I understand that auto modes are great and I have shot plenty of times with Av mode and jpegs on the K3 and as long as I pay attention a little bit, I think the results are pretty decent. But why someone would buy a 1000 dollar camera (currently 150 dollars more than a K3 II and 350 dollars more than a K3) to shoot in auto modes is beyond me. I know a lot of people do, but it feels like that isn't the best way to maximize your images.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents...
04-15-2016, 06:01 PM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I do have a hard time figuring this out. I understand that auto modes are great and I have shot plenty of times with Av mode and jpegs on the K3 and as long as I pay attention a little bit, I think the results are pretty decent. But why someone would buy a 1000 dollar camera (currently 150 dollars more than a K3 II and 350 dollars more than a K3) to shoot in auto modes is beyond me. I know a lot of people do, but it feels like that isn't the best way to maximize your images.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents...
Video capabilities