Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2016, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #1

Son Just Purchased Sony A6300 - Wow!

My son just received his Sony A6300 and knows just a little about photography (exposure, focus points, etc.). His first photos, shoot in the "auto" mode are absolutely fantastic. Much better than anything I have produced using my Pentax K-50 using the various priority modes, focus points, metering... quite jealous (in a good way). Kinda hard knowing that no matter what I do or know, there are cameras out there for a bit more money that raise the bar so high...

Ideas?

Am I full of _________?

Jack

04-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jackloganbill Quote
My son just received his Sony A6300 and knows just a little about photography (exposure, focus points, etc.). His first photos, shoot in the "auto" mode are absolutely fantastic. Much better than anything I have produced using my Pentax K-50 using the various priority modes, focus points, metering... quite jealous (in a good way). Kinda hard knowing that no matter what I do or know, there are cameras out there for a bit more money that raise the bar so high...

Ideas?

Am I full of _________?

Jack

Depends on your judgement and criteria of what makes a photo absolutely "fantastic"....
04-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
I don't think one can make a fair comparison of one camera's auto-mode output versus another camera's output using any assortment of manual controls. One will keep you within a certain range of safety, the other gives you enough rope to hang yourself and kick the chair out from underneath.
04-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Ideas?

Am I full of _________?

Jack
It's great he/you are thrilled with your purchase, however I would temper your enthusiasm to some degree. Much of it has to do with the visual impact of 16MP versus 24MP. Also, if comparing out of camera JPEGs, you could be captivated by the difference in Sony processing settings, versus your own. Maybe a few tweaks on your K-50 would bring it closer to the A6300 results. Play with your JPEG processing settings one by one to see what they do.

It's also possible you son is a better photographer...lol

To be honest, I could give my K3 to my step son and take his iphone. I'd probably get better images with the phone (once I figured out how to actually take picture on a phone) than he would from my K3.

So, yes, to some degree the technical abilities of the A6300 are producing better images, but like many have found here (see the 100's of "My K3 takes horrible Pics" threads), ultimately the eye, skill and technique of the human behind the lens will dictate how good an image is created. Maybe your son could teach you a thing or two about being a better photographer....

04-08-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Things will be different for each people, but for me the a6300 cost more than just "a bit more money" than the K-50! I also don't think it's fair to compare a newly released camera with one which is a 4 years old design...

Based on this, I certainly expect a new, top of the line camera to outperform, what was at best, a mid level affordable one that is now considered an entry level budget body...
04-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Post some comparison photos for us. For new photographers and typical scenes, the photographer's instincts are more important than the camera.
04-08-2016, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #7

I had an A6000 and it was an incredible camera. The A6300 is above and beyond the A6000 - AF speed, responsiveness, etc ..., but it wasn't nice to use for me. It was a computer, had no character. Pentax wins hands down ergonomically and aesthetically. And the lens selection at the time, while nearly infinite with adapters, natively was poor, especially for reasonably priced, quality lenses.

So don't discount the camera - it is a technological marvel. Whether it is right for one person is purely a personal decision.

04-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Much better than anything I have produced using my Pentax K-50 using the various priority modes, focus points, metering... quite jealous
There are three things at play here:
- the relative abilities of the two photographers. You could find a good photographer and compare his work with an old cell phone to my k-3II images and conclude the k-3II is a dog.
- it would be quite sad if the new Sony flagship APS-C camera did not have a better sensor in it than the 4 (or is it 6?) year old k-50. The k-50 was introduced in 2013 but the sensor is supposedly the same as in the k-5 introduced in 2010
- auto mode versus your skills in various other modes. You don't mention if you shoot RAW or jpg but in simple situations the auto mode should produce a good image that is what it is designed for. Try the same test in challenging conditions and in my experience the auto mode starts to fall apart

Anyway, glad you are proud of your son and by all accounts the new Sony is a nice camera. I recently got a Sony RX-100III and quite like it, Sony does build quite nice kit, though it seems to take them several tries to get it right.

Last edited by jatrax; 04-08-2016 at 09:47 AM. Reason: spelling
04-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Comparison between Sony A6300 and K-3, which is which ?
Attached Images

04-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Comparison between Sony A6300 and K-3, which is which ?
I'll go with K-3 on the left because of the way it's rendering the pink cloth... EDIT: *and* the bright red cloth...
04-08-2016, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

All I heard was
"blah blah blah... - time to buy a K1

04-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My friend has an A6000 and a K3 - he vastly prefers the K3 output over the A6000 but the size of the A6000 is a lure for some trips. I have trouble seeing the difference between K3 and K50 pictures myself so I doubt the 16 vs. 24 MP matters if this is a casual viewing not a pixel peeping contest.

Frankly out of camera JPG's vary a lot by brand and I think that plus photo composition may be in play. An easy way to tell would be to setup the two of you taking pictures and swapping the camera very 2-5 shots. Record the data as you go. Then randomize the files in a slide show and see which you prefer from each camera. You might want to shoot in manual mode and raw and apply similar post processing to both as well but that starts to sound like too much work.
04-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #13
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
k50 is a rehash of the k30? so the sensor could be going on 4 years old, while the a6300 sensor is a new design.

newer sensors usually have better dr than older sensors, even when the pixel count is the same, so no question that it should be better... it also costs a lot more!

the af is probably far superior as well, and pics in focus usually do look better than pics that aren't in focus.
04-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Credit where credit is due. Sony NEX's/Alphas do produce very nice, punchy images out of the box. Their good face detection AF also helps a lot for people scenes. The Sony kit lenses are also usually adequately good, and mate well with Sony bodies (and in-camera lens corrections), so that helps too. In general, good results come out of the camera with little effort, which is why those Sony's sell well.

But you can still take technically bad photos with Sony, for sure. The A6300 doesn't cure that problem.
04-08-2016, 04:33 PM   #15
Pentaxian

So, I'm left wondering are his Son's photos really good, or are his really bad? Or are his son's bad and are his worse. All we have here is one guys pictures are better than another guys, and the guy with the worst pictures thinks it's the camera's fault.

The only message here is, his son gets better images with an A6300 than he does with a K50. Any conclusions about the cameras or anything else is speculation.