Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2016, 06:39 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It probably does take more work to learn Pentax cameras and figure out how to get maximal image quality from them.
Not any more than any other DSLR from Canon or Nikon. They too can be pretty unforgiving if put in the hands of photography newbies.

04-13-2016, 07:02 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Not any more than any other DSLR from Canon or Nikon. They too can be pretty unforgiving if put in the hands of photography newbies.
Probably.

I haven't shot in auto mode though in forever, but it would be interesting to see a comparison with them. I think Pentax defaults to "Bright" setting on its jpegs and the colors on those do seem off.
04-13-2016, 08:04 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
And therein lies the problem. How many consumers want to fiddle with camera settings? Most purchasers of cameras put it on A or P or some variant and use their kit lenses and never venture beyond that. That is one reason technology found in mirrorless cameras is great for beginners and pros alike - face detect works brilliantly (no need to learn how to change focus points) if you are new, or if you are a pro it can be a very useful tool.

As phone cameras increasingly get better, it is harder for the average consumer to buy into a system. Pentax is a niche within a niche of DSLR's. I would guess the average Pentax user is a little more informed about things like weather sealing, etc ... as that is one of the primary draws of the system. With that line of thinking, I would also guess the average Pentaxian is a little more likely to go beyond the green box mode or A and P. But again, that is taking initiative to learn a system, to learn technique and to learn something about photography. My guess is the average Sony user of the A6300 will never, ever begin to use the camera to its potential, but will make many wonderful images because of the technology.
04-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I absolutely refuse to buy into what one camera might do better than another based on speculation. I always try and find a guy who's used both for my own comparisons. My only approved source for information about the A6300 would be another K-5/K-3 user. he'd be talking my language. Some guy gushing about how good his A6300. Some guy saying his son gets better pictures with an A6300 than he gets with his K-50. How do we know if they changed cameras , his son wouldn't still get better pictures. This thread is just a microcosm of what's wrong with yakking away on the internet. The original post is wrong on so many levels. The ensuing chat is based on false premises which it reinforces, and ingrained stereotypes. This is not information. This is socializing and posturing. it's sad to see it given any credibility at all.

Lets go back to step one, GO for a shoot the OP and his son, but switch cameras, let's first out if it's the camera or the photographer that's better. Until then we just have a bunch of Sony serving propaganda, which is what the original post appears to be.

I know guys who can get good pictures with crap cameras, and I know guys who can get bad pictures with great cameras. So far, we haven't even established that the A6300 is easier to use. Just that a bunch of people think it might be. Don't make me start slapping people for being Sony trolls.

Last edited by normhead; 04-13-2016 at 08:47 AM.
04-13-2016, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

The OP hasn't been back in 5 days. Please let this thread fade away if we don't see any responses from them.
04-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #51
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks, as @DeadJohn rightly says above, the OP hasn't been back. If he/she does, they'll get what info they need from what's already posted here. We've flogged the Pentax vs Sony vs <insert as appropriate> dead horse so many times before... unless there's anything genuinely insightful to add for the OP, we can let this one rest
04-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jackloganbill Quote
, there are cameras out there for a bit more money that raise the bar so high...
as the sony costs about £600 more than the K50...

04-13-2016, 10:09 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Not the K-50 but...
yeah the guy who made this video sold off most of his pentax gear... what to believe now?
04-13-2016, 11:14 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
yeah the guy who made this video sold off most of his pentax gear... what to believe now?
Probably uses his cellphone now. The best camera is the one ya gots with ya, right?
04-13-2016, 01:44 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I absolutely refuse to buy into what one camera might do better than another based on speculation. I always try and find a guy who's used both for my own comparisons. My only approved source for information about the A6300 would be another K-5/K-3 user. he'd be talking my language. Some guy gushing about how good his A6300. Some guy saying his son gets better pictures with an A6300 than he gets with his K-50. How do we know if they changed cameras , his son wouldn't still get better pictures. This thread is just a microcosm of what's wrong with yakking away on the internet. The original post is wrong on so many levels. The ensuing chat is based on false premises which it reinforces, and ingrained stereotypes. This is not information. This is socializing and posturing. it's sad to see it given any credibility at all. Lets go back to step one, GO for a shoot the OP and his son, but switch cameras, let's first out if it's the camera or the photographer that's better. Until then we just have a bunch of Sony serving propaganda, which is what the original post appears to be. I know guys who can get good pictures with crap cameras, and I know guys who can get bad pictures with great cameras. So far, we haven't even established that the A6300 is easier to use. Just that a bunch of people think it might be. Don't make me start slapping people for being Sony trolls.
The A6300 uses about the same sensor as the K-3. Simple, equivalent sensors render about the same image quality, there no miracle, all the rest is subjective. Saying "wow, my A6300 is so good compared to my K50", is like saying, "my K-3 is so good compared to my K50". It's like someone going to Sony forum and posting a thread such as "Wow, my Pentax K-1 is so much better than my A6300".
04-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #56
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The A6300 uses about the same sensor as the K-3.
the a6000 would be about the same sensor as the k-3, but the a6300 uses a new sensor design, that incorporates dual-stage gain, and has thinner copper interconnects that allow for a bigger pixel size:

?6300 E-mount camera with APS-C Sensor | ILCE-6300 BODY/KIT | Sony US

it's an improvement over the older sensors, see this a6000 vs. a6300 vs. d7200 comparison, that's what the k-3 will look like against the a6300:

Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO Setting
04-13-2016, 08:55 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
the a6000 would be about the same sensor as the k-3, but the a6300 uses a new sensor design, that incorporates dual-stage gain, and has thinner copper interconnects that allow for a bigger pixel size: ?6300 E-mount camera with APS-C Sensor | ILCE-6300 BODY/KIT | Sony US it's an improvement over the older sensors, see this a6000 vs. a6300 vs. d7200 comparison, that's what the k-3 will look like against the a6300: Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO Setting
In this chart, the A6300 "performs" slightly less than D7200 up to iso400 (=about the same as the K-3). Over 400 iso, a little bit of improvement over 2 or 3 years old K-3 camera, like for any new camera, the difference is tiny. Anyway, the same sensor tech end-up in other brands of camera one or two years later. So it can be expected that in less than 2 years every new camera will perform at the same level. It depends how up to date you want to be and if this makes a meaningful difference on actual photographs. Usually, there's no enough improvement between two generation of camera models to justify the spending, better skip one generation of camera to get more bang for the bucks.
04-14-2016, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #58

Original Poster
Okay, I am back. I have been reading the posts as they come in and found most of it very interesting. Most interesting is that many of you missed my point. My point was simply that the A6300, in AUTO mode, appears to capture great photos. Its software, lens quality, internal computer, etc., evidently are sophisticated and do a great job capturing a scene, setting the right exposure and so forth. It does not matter that it was my son, me, or a martian taking the pictures, he was using it in "point and shoot" mode. In my case, I take decent pictures with the K-50, but whether it is the camera, the glass, the internal software, my images do not seem to have the same high level of clarity. I was just amazed that his camera does so well without requiring any manipulation, photographer skill, post processing (shooting in RAW), etc.

I greatly appreciate the constructive comments; as always this forum provides great help and insight, I appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!
04-14-2016, 06:59 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jackloganbill Quote

My point was simply that the A6300, in AUTO mode, appears to capture great photos. Its software, lens quality, internal computer, etc., evidently are sophisticated and do a great job capturing a scene, setting the right exposure and so forth.
And our point is, in the grand scheme of things, what exactly does that mean? We don't know.

Our other point would be, most of us don't buy cameras based on their "auto-performance". You are essentially telling power users, that some camera works good (in your opinion which may or may not be in sync with what other form members would like) in a setting they would never use.

What I take from this is, the Sony is a great system for people with little photographic knowledge and no desire to learn to use the various functions built into DSLRs, to take great snapshots.

Was that your point?
04-14-2016, 07:17 AM   #60

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And our point is, in the grand scheme of things, what exactly does that mean? We don't know.

Our other point would be, most of us don't buy cameras based on their "auto-performance". You are essentially telling power users, that some camera works good (in your opinion which may or may not be in sync with what other form members would like) in a setting they would never use.

What I take from this is, the Sony is a great system for people with little photographic knowledge and no desire to learn to use the various functions built into DSLRs, to take great snapshots.

Was that your point?
I did not realize this forum was intended for power users. My mistake. Please ignore my simple-minded observation.