Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 11:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Wow, that's a surprise. I didn't even know they made them in right-hand drive!
Yes, well, some people would say they're a device to be operated with one hand...

04-30-2016, 03:07 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
There's no doubt that Leica is associated with other prestige objects, and that some owners have them principally for that reason, but there's also no doubt that they produce very well-made cameras, and their optics are among the best you can buy (some would say the very best). Anyone who's ever made anything for a living knows that there's a cost point that marks the end of the generally acceptable standard of performance or finish, beyond which the cost of attaining a higher standard is not considered to be of value by most people. Leica occupies that higher standard space, whether we like to think it does, or not. I exclude the largely cosmetically-different rebadged Panasonic cameras from this.

Before we get too critical of them, just consider that they're a small, successful labour-intensive elaborate-transformation manufacturer in a high-wage Western country. How many other such Western manufacturers with a similar success story do you know?

By the way, Harley-Davidson motorcycles occupy what is called the "masstige" space, because they only command a comparatively small premium price over their many competitors, and they don't have rarity value. In fact, there's so many of the noisy damn things around here, they're becoming the Toyota Camry of motorbikes. Still, comparisons are often fraught, if not odious…
Lol, when I ran bikes I wouldn't have a Harley. Apart from most Harley-owners here being about 80 and hardly using their machines, it would have been rude to Triumph, a local success story, for a bike of that kind. As it was I went masstige too and went for a made-in-Japan retro Honda, something of a full-framer with the best engineering of anything I have ever owned. I've never owned a Leica but I think I can see the point of them and if I had the funds or was a pro then I might well choose this marque, especially for their medium-format S line which I've always thought superb. And then there is the fixed-lens Leica Q which seems to have gotten some high plaudits from plenty of people. Leica aren't Leica by accident.
05-02-2016, 12:56 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Only $800 MORE than the equivalent model that has all the features included, at $6000 ! (I suppose no lens ?)

Any takers?
Ignoring the fact that this is way out of my price range (which isn't a comment on Leica - a Sony A7r is out of my price range), this is precisely want in a digital camera.

I don't want 'more', and I don't want to pay more for 'more' than I don't want. I want what I want, and if I had the money I'd be happy to pay for what I want. It bugs me that consumer goods these days seem to assume that if x is perfect, x + more must be even better.

-no EVF
-no LCF
-no auto focus
-Iso, Aperture and Shutter speed control only
-manual focusing only
-no Red Dot
-quiet shutter
-DNG files only

That sounds just about perfect. The only thing you missed is 'no menus'
07-29-2016, 06:28 PM   #19

I finished reading Steve Huff's review on it. I get everything about the camera expect taking the LCD out. You want to simplify the camera? Perfect... I get it.

Honestly what is the real benefit on taking out the rear LCD? Steve was mention the benefit was it forced him not to chimp his pics which is odd since you don't have to chimp with a LCD. It's like Leica coming out with a camera that only accepts 500MB cards and each of these cards has an a special ISO so your forced to slow down.

If you got into a time machine and told someone 15 years ago that you could stick an LCD on the back of their Leica and they could get actual real time feedback people would lose their minds on how useful that would be. It just seems like a very cliche way to try and be fresh in 2016 to be get rid of something like that.

The Leica M-D 262 Review with 28 Summilux f/1.4, part 1 by Steve Huff – STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

07-30-2016, 04:55 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since I basically only use the LCD on my Leica M9 for menu settings, I don't like the (assumed) added thickness of the body compared to the film Leicas I've used for 50 years. I wish the M-D body had been made thinner as a result, but a special body for a low-selling model would be even more expensive. I still prefer shooting film, and never worry about whether I got the shot - with experience you pretty well know.
Any thoughts I had of a K-1 are gone, I'm saving towards the M-D.
07-30-2016, 11:15 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I don't like the (assumed) added thickness of the body compared to the film Leicas I've used for 50 years. I wish the M-D body had been made thinner as a result, but a special body for a low-selling model would be even more expensive.

Which is why its an odd camera. They didn't save on any thickness, its the same body without the LCD.