Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get less for more money! The new Leica M-D

(Hoping this hasn't been previously posted)

Technically speaking, the M-D is basically a Leica M (Typ 262) without the LCD.
No video capability and, obviously, no live view either.

no EVF
no LCF
no auto focus
Iso, Aperture and Shutter speed control only
manual focusing only
no Red Dot
quiet shutter
DNG files only

Only $800 MORE than the equivalent model that has all the features included, at $6000 ! (I suppose no lens ?)

Any takers?

04-28-2016, 07:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I almost went down the M route, but at the end of the day the prestige definitely isn't worth the money :P

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-28-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I almost went down the M route, but at the end of the day the prestige definitely isn't worth the money :P
Agreed!

Imagine what Pentax you can buy with this kind of money!
04-29-2016, 02:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wooow! amazing that they actually pulled this out. I would really like to own such camera. I know I won't because I can't justify this kind of money. Even if I had it to spare, I'd travel somewhere probably.. But anyway OP, keep in mind everybody's priorities and tastes are different.

I must admit I ended up selling all my Pentax gear after backpacking with it for 4 months in a row. I bought a used Sony A7 and 19/2.8, 40/1.4 and 90/2.8 (all used) for far less than I had invested in the K-3 plus limiteds (all used). Not saying one is better at all! just different. I have become well used to manual focusing and very happy with the lighter, smaller kit.
Prestige, brand loyalty? couldn't care less: The 19mm is a Sigma (for APS-C, which I happily crop and get a 25mm super cheap, sharp 100gr fast AF lens!), the 40mm is a voigtlaender and the 90mm is a Contax G!
Wanting to shoot some film the other day I realized I had no lens to mount on my Pentax P30t and so started looking into a Leica CL for around 130EUR but even that seems high and ended up buying a Revue 400SE rangefinder (with fixed 40/1.7 lens) for 20EUR. The difference will go to film and developing!!

Last edited by carrrlangas; 04-29-2016 at 03:07 AM.
04-29-2016, 03:21 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. I'm looking forward to the digital K1000 project, something very similar. Basically the K-1 without video, live view, auto focus and for 1500 dollars more than the regular K-1. Should sell two copies by my calculations, despite the fact that it has been clamored for for a long time.
04-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What makes Leica cameras so much better that they can justify the much much much much much much higher price? I feel like I missed the boat on the Leica mystique, because they just look like ridiculously overpriced cameras to me. If I were going for that sort of thing I'd just get a Fuji.
04-29-2016, 07:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am considering saving up and trading my M9 for the M-D, as it is more the digital I wanted when I bought the M9. As a film shooter for over 50 years, I use my digital cameras as if the were film anyway. That's why I like the M9, as it can be used exactly like my M3,4,5, or 6 film cameras. About the only thing I use the M9 LCD for is setting the lens type for older lenses, and changing ISO. Now that my most used lenses are coded so the camera knows them, the new M-D would be perfect for me. The quieter shutter and better high ISO capability would be nice.
I hate autofocus, and manual focus on a Leics M RF system is so much better than on a dSLR with the range of lenses used on a RF (up to 90mm), especially in dim light. I've used them since 1968, and will prefer them as long as I can see.
Likewise, I find the A7 better for all my SLR lenses than any dSLR, again for manual focus, which is all I use. I would like the new Leica SL for my Leica SLR lenses, but already have the A7, and use my Pentax-M lenses on it most. So with the price of the SL, and lack of adapters for other lenses, I'll stay with the A7 for SLR use.

04-29-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I already have more money than sense....(a $10. bill would do that trick)...but that deal wouldn't even fool an old guy like me!

I already hear enough of..."Look at that old fool!"

Regards!
04-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
What makes Leica cameras so much better that they can justify the much much much much much much higher price? I feel like I missed the boat on the Leica mystique, because they just look like ridiculously overpriced cameras to me. If I were going for that sort of thing I'd just get a Fuji.
They are hand crafted by elves and dwarves in Germania.
04-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Wooow! amazing that they actually pulled this out. I would really like to own such camera. I know I won't because I can't justify this kind of money. Even if I had it to spare, I'd travel somewhere probably.. But anyway OP, keep in mind everybody's priorities and tastes are different.
Of course I do ! This was just a snippet taken out of the web news. And, for sure, if someone would was to offer me a Leica for free I'd take it with pleasure!

I must admit I ended up selling all my Pentax gear after backpacking with it for 4 months in a row. I bought a used Sony A7 and 19/2.8, 40/1.4 and 90/2.8 (all used) for far less than I had invested in the K-3 plus limiteds (all used). Not saying one is better at all! just different. I have become well used to manual focusing and very happy with the lighter, smaller kit.
Prestige, brand loyalty? couldn't care less: The 19mm is a Sigma (for APS-C, which I happily crop and get a 25mm super cheap, sharp 100gr fast AF lens!), the 40mm is a voigtlaender and the 90mm is a Contax G!
Wanting to shoot some film the other day I realized I had no lens to mount on my Pentax P30t and so started looking into a Leica CL for around 130EUR but even that seems high and ended up buying a Revue 400SE rangefinder (with fixed 40/1.7 lens) for 20EUR. The difference will go to film and developing!!
Good to know you're taking pics, no matter what brand!

---------- Post added 04-29-16 at 02:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
They are hand crafted by elves and dwarves in Germania.
Really!
04-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote

Perhaps you need to update your signature...

The important thing, as said previously, is that you are out taking pictures

Regarding this Leica: something about a fool and his/her money... but I digress...
04-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If you've got the money and like the approach then perhaps nothing else will do. Compared to a new kitchen or conservatory, to a swimming pool, to a fully decked Harley or a new Porsche - Leica's real competitors rather than other cameras - then the new camera is something of a bargain, imho. Fill your boots and buy a couple! Still barely half the cost of a Harley Road King Classic with custom pipes et al.
04-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
urse I do ! This was just a snippet taken out of the web news. And, for sure, if someone would was to offer me a Leica for free I'd take it with pleasure!
Haha, of course!
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Good to know you're taking pics, no matter what brand!
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Perhaps you need to update your signature...
The important thing, as said previously, is that you are out taking pictures
Thanks guys! and, just updated the signature, thanks for the remark.
04-29-2016, 03:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's no doubt that Leica is associated with other prestige objects, and that some owners have them principally for that reason, but there's also no doubt that they produce very well-made cameras, and their optics are among the best you can buy (some would say the very best). Anyone who's ever made anything for a living knows that there's a cost point that marks the end of the generally acceptable standard of performance or finish, beyond which the cost of attaining a higher standard is not considered to be of value by most people. Leica occupies that higher standard space, whether we like to think it does, or not. I exclude the largely cosmetically-different rebadged Panasonic cameras from this.

Before we get too critical of them, just consider that they're a small, successful labour-intensive elaborate-transformation manufacturer in a high-wage Western country. How many other such Western manufacturers with a similar success story do you know?

By the way, Harley-Davidson motorcycles occupy what is called the "masstige" space, because they only command a comparatively small premium price over their many competitors, and they don't have rarity value. In fact, there's so many of the noisy damn things around here, they're becoming the Toyota Camry of motorbikes. Still, comparisons are often fraught, if not odious…
04-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
By the way, Harley-Davidson motorcycles occupy what is called the "masstige" space, because they only command
a comparatively small premium price over their many competitors, and they don't have rarity value.
In fact, there's so many of the noisy damn things around here, they're becoming the Toyota Camry of motorbikes.
Still, comparisons are often fraught, if not odious…
Wow, that's a surprise. I didn't even know they made them in right-hand drive!

I like what the new Leica leaves out. I would be willing to pay a premium for a digital camera that more more emulates a film camera.
Though I can't afford Leica prices a Pentax or other consumer brand digital like that would definitely interest me.

Chris