Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weird lens modifications

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

We all know about the Canon users clipping off aperture levers to fit Pentax to their bodies but some mods I just don't understand.

This thread would be a place to share those crazy mods that make little sense. Here's my first contribution.

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/331515022122

The lens in question has no aperture blades. The blades have been removed. Why? Who knows.

05-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i recently removed the aperture blades from a lens that had issues, and used the blades in another lens, replacing blades that were rusty... it worked great.

can't see the reason for removing blades from a good lens tho? i'd be suspicious of the condition of that lens.
05-05-2016, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

People who would do that to a lens weren't raised right.
05-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hah! Yeah, it might be a "frankenlens" - where parts were replaced with other lenses. But it is odd that it looks like its in good cosmetic condition.

An interesting mod are those Helios 44 mods that make the aperture square. I think there's an ebay seller that offers it as a service. I think someone on this forum has one. Limited use, but it does give kind of an interesting character, look to the photos.

05-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe cannibalised for parts...maybe an attempted repair gone wrong...maybe a mistaken belief that it would make it a bit faster.
Whatever it is, it's a bit off to sell it on without mentioning it!
05-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
. . . .
Whatever it is, it's a bit off to sell it on without mentioning it!
I agree -- somebody just didn't give an f/ .
05-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not so much of a mod, more a slow motion car crash, but still my favourite video of all time. I may send him my FA77....

06-15-2016, 05:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Not so much of a mod, more a slow motion car crash, but still my favourite video of all time. I may send him my FA77....

135mm Prime Lens Disassemble and Clean - YouTube
Wow, I look pro compared to that train wreck of a cleaning.
06-16-2016, 06:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aren't there some AF mechanism mods that people do on Pentax compatible lenses and also mount related mods? Maybe they aren't considered weird enough, but what is the weird-fringe of that kind of thing? I mean, presumably things done with the purpose of improvement, but with some element of strangeness to the process or result?
06-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote

135mm Prime Lens Disassemble and Clean - YouTube
He really showed that lens who's the boss. When proving you can do it is more important that what you're actually trying to do...