It's the vibration caused by the shutter

Yes, and you can look up sarcasm.
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
exactly...

05-15-2016, 02:53 PM - 2 Likes   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
and i never will... the difference between you and i is that i know enough about cameras to articulate exactly why i'll never buy another dslr
ovf displays are useless for accurate manual focusing; that alone is a complete deal killer for me, everything else is a moot point.
You have your own special definition of "in focus" and your own special definition of "DOF". For those who agree with you, who are willing to spend minutes carefully "focusing" a scene, you are correct. For the rest of us, you are not correct. Once you are using your own special definitions, there is no point discussing things like this, but you insist on it anyway. Go ahead, blather away and away and away.

Last edited by reh321; 05-15-2016 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spelling correction
05-15-2016, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
blather away and away and away.

Or he can go buy a real camera, i'll recommend the K1!
05-15-2016, 05:31 PM - 2 Likes   #79
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Have you done any firmware updates on it. Maybe I could help you to configure the A7 so it suits you.

It has all the updates, I've downloaded several apps for it, changed focus peaking levels, it's still crap in all those areas I mentioned. You can't fix those problems in firmware - how would you do IBIS? . That's why Sony have done their traditional thing and rapidly released newer (more expensive) models. Our forum colleague Pinholecam (the superb Singapore-based shooter) even resorted to doing a custom modification to have the fat sensor stack reduced because of issues with ultrawide lenses.

It's no longer worth having to cope with all that ... the K-1 is such a relief.

Obviously you like it enough to keep it.

(Laughs) Why do you have to love everything you own, Sliver-Surfer, even if they don't deserve it? My A7 is an inanimate object, not a labrador!

Last edited by clackers; 05-15-2016 at 05:42 PM.
05-15-2016, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It has all the updates, I've downloaded several apps for it, changed focus peaking levels, it's still crap in all those areas I mentioned. You can't fix those problems in firmware - how would you do IBIS? . That's why Sony have done their traditional thing and rapidly released newer (more expensive) models. Our forum colleague Pinholecam (the superb Singapore-based shooter) even resorted to doing a custom modification to have the fat sensor stack reduced because of issues with ultrawide lenses.

It's no longer worth having to cope with all that ... the K-1 is such a relief.

(Laughs) Why do you have to love everything you own, Sliver-Surfer, even if they don't deserve it? My A7 is an inanimate object, not a labrador!
Sony cant be really blamed for not having Ibis. Were there any other Manufacturers that had Ibis in 2013 FF Cameras?
The issues were with some Ultra wide Film lenses. Light from Film lenses do not have to pass through Sensor filters, the light lands directly on the surface of the film emulsion, so the angle of light didn't matter. It has more to do with the lenses design and not the Camera body. Digital era ultra wide lenses work fine.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 05-15-2016 at 07:39 PM.
05-15-2016, 09:47 PM - 1 Like   #81
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Sony cant be really blamed for not having Ibis. Were there any other Manufacturers that had Ibis in 2013 FF Cameras?

Yes, there were. You're now officially being ridiculous. Sony already had it in their A series.

Look, take a chill pill about poor old Sony. You've lost proportion defending what is just a gadget. I can understand you paid a lot of good money for it at the time and may not now be able to afford a K-1 as a result, but that's your problem, not ours, right?

There's a dinner joke that goes:

Person1: "Wow, those are really nice pictures, you must have a great camera."
Person2: "Why, thank you for the meal, you must have great pots."

Three of my ten favourite photos I took last year were with the A7 ... ultimately, we make the pictures, faults and all, not the camera. Click here to see:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/31...ml#post3467798
05-15-2016, 10:10 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Stupid topic.
If you need versatile reliable camera, then a DSLR cannot be your choice, simply as that.
The question nowdays is system camera vs a phone.

05-15-2016, 11:03 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Yes, there were. You're now officially being ridiculous. Sony already had it in their A series.
Ridiculous.. thanks for that, but I said any other Manufacturers.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 05-15-2016 at 11:15 PM.
05-15-2016, 11:03 PM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Stupid topic.
If you need versatile reliable camera, then a DSLR cannot be your choice, simply as that.
The question nowdays is system camera vs a phone.
??? I can't follow this at all. How did you conclude this?
05-15-2016, 11:12 PM - 2 Likes   #85
Pentaxian

I can understand you paid a lot of good money for it at the time and may not now be able to afford a K-1 as a result, but that's your problem, not ours, right?
I could afford a K1 but it's not mirrorless, I have zero buyers remorse.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 05-15-2016 at 11:29 PM.
05-16-2016, 12:29 AM   #86
Pentaxian

zero
remorse.

Same with the K1

Anybody that can afford it should have it, its hard to explain but you pick it up and it just feels right....that was my first impression before I saw what it could do.

I don't use my K50s(I have 2) very much, tending to use my Qs,M43s and Samsungs mostly....I generally took the dslrs when I needed the WR effect.

However, that's changed now and my spare battery holder(k-01) will tag along with big Bro at every opportunity.
05-16-2016, 01:12 AM   #87
Veteran Member

For me the one and only feature of mirrorless that I have seen and wanted was face/eye recognition across the whole frame. Watching Jason Lanier work make me envious of how easy it is. Even then I am pretty sure I could never fully commit to a change away from my D810. It would have to be a dual system.
05-16-2016, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #88
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I could afford a K1 but it's not mirrorless, I have zero buyers remorse.
You would have a collection of version one mistakes like the A7 rather than a real camera like a D750, D810 or K-1, because they don't have their Live View inside a little hood? ☺

Okay, I'm done with this thread because I can see we're dealing with an EVF fanatic (I have two of them by the way and am distinctly unimpressed).

Last edited by clackers; 05-16-2016 at 03:44 AM.
05-16-2016, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I find this banter tiresome.

If you get a really good optical viewfinder (such as Pentax are known for), then it's. . . really good. Nothing's going to change that.

The best EVFs today are quite good too. They offer some advantages, and they're only going to get better. Some people already prefer them. Given time I suspect they will become the most widespread, or dominant, viewfinder technology.

The K-1 celebration is in full swing now, and the enthusiasm is infectious. It looks like a fantastic camera, and I couldn't help wanting one. Realistically, though, it's too much camera for me. It's too big, too heavy, too expensive, too over-specified. It's effectively like medium format. For those who need a lot of camera, it's wonderful. It's not for me, though.

I looked at the Sony A7, since a used one could be in my price range. It's been tempting, but. . . I feel like I'd end up using adapted lenses a lot, whether I wanted to or not, since the native Sony lens catalog is quite narrow and pricey. Also. . . This is just my impression, but it seems like the A7's only major selling point is "full frame". In every other respect, mirrorless cameras from Olympus, Panasonic and Fuji seem to be ahead of it.

Last edited by Tony Belding; 05-16-2016 at 05:20 AM.
05-16-2016, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #90
Pentaxian

You would have a collection of version one mistakes like the A7 rather than a real camera like a D750, D810 or K-1, because they don't have their Live View inside a little hood? ☺

Okay, I'm done with this thread because I can see we're dealing with an EVF fanatic (I have two of them by the way and am distinctly unimpressed).
Im a vintage Lens Fanatic and a Strobist actually. None of My Pentax DSLRs Came with Calibrated Focus Screens (I had to re-calibrate or replace their Screens). And none of the Pentax DSLRs knew how to TTL Flash for these old lenses(yes I do know how to fiddle with and calculate Vintage and modern Flashes/Equipment). I just wanted to take luck and fiddling out of the equation.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 05-16-2016 at 06:29 AM.