Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
A much better option is the Samsung NX500 imo, does everything the NX1 does but without the viewfinder and no weather sealing( u have both with the KS2)

Its the bang for buck in high end mirrorless.
I wouldn't consider another MILC without an EVF. The Hoodman is an OK accommodation for my Q-7, but it is just that. The WR of my K-30 has been much more reassuring than I had expected, so at this point I'd be reluctant to replace it by something that didn't have both a viewfinder and WR.

Added: My experience with the Q-7 sans EVF is why I got the K-30 with OVF instead of the K-01 sans EVF.

Last edited by reh321; 05-17-2016 at 03:15 PM. Reason: added comment
05-17-2016, 03:38 PM   #122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
A much better option is the Samsung NX500 imo, does everything the NX1 does but without the viewfinder and no weather sealing( u have both with the KS2)

Its the bang for buck in high end mirrorless.
Why would anyone buy into a dead camera system?
05-17-2016, 04:10 PM   #123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
You know, I sort of regret starting this thread -- or at least naming it as I did. I should have foreseen the direction it would go.

As I've messed around with the K-S2, I think for a while I was really looking for any possible flaw in it, and any possible excuse to reject it and go back and buy a Fuji X-T1, which is a camera I've wanted ever since I first saw it. Then a bit of panic started to set in. . . "This Pentax really has nothing wrong with it at all! It's excellent. Oh damn, what am I going to do now??" And the answer, in the end, was what it usually comes down to in these situations: get them both.

Gear Acquisition Syndrome. It's an ugly thing. I thought I had the symptoms under control, then it sunk its claws into me again.

I'll be testing and using them side-by-side for a while, much as I did before with the E-M5 and K-01. Time and experience will tell how things shake out. (I'm confident that the X-T1 body will be good, but it's the Fuji lens catalog that much of my misgivings revolve around, and is a big part of why I picked the K-S2 to begin with.)
Despite my angst with several posters if this thread helped in any way to help you I'm happy I participated.
Sadly I'm a GAS sufferer also and now have two different systems to care and feed. The M43 however fits a niche that the K-3 doesn;t - it's much much smaller and while lenses of the same focal length aren't always smaller on the longer end, the crop factor means that the lenses I need to carry are in fact small - nearly Q sized small. This is the gear I grab when I have nothing specific in mind and just don't feel like lugging as much of a camera around.

Ideally if I had all the money in the world I'd have a great deal more systems... but that's nuts right? LOL. Maybe I'll buy a $30 DSLR with a non-working LCD - that's what one of the Single In crew did. It's the digital film body syndrome. Retro as heck but it works. Along those lines I will say this. There are many many times I run with the K-3 with the rear LCD off and the playback review off.
05-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
oh? then why did we just see several posts that failed to address the technical implications of the aperture being held open? rob, the best you could come up with was an ad hominem attack
Firstly, "many" does not mean "all". When there are so many things under such furious discussion, points are easily lost or misinterpreted, too.

Secondly, I did not personally attack you, but I did point out that you were (intentionally or not) isolating yourself through the use of language. Having reconsidered what was said, I can see that you may have intended "you" to mean those you were debating with, but it sounded to me at the time like you were meaning all those participating in the thread. No offence intended.

05-17-2016, 04:17 PM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Why would anyone buy into a dead camera system?

Well I suppose live people who don't believe the rumour!
05-17-2016, 06:32 PM   #126
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Why are you even here?
you seem to forget, this is the Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. forum.

---------- Post added 05-17-16 at 07:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Firstly, "many" does not mean "all". When there are so many things under such furious discussion, points are easily lost or misinterpreted, too.
the point that i just posted for discussion was cameras automatically holding the aperture open all the time, and it was ignored, because people wanted to troll instead

when the only mirrorless experience those people have is with the functional equivalent of a primitive k10d, they think that all mirrorless cameras must work like that, and nobody is going to tell 'em any different, lol.
05-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

you seem to forget, this is the Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. forum.

---------- Post added 05-17-16 at 07:08 PM ----------

the point that i just posted for discussion was cameras automatically holding the aperture open all the time, and it was ignored, because people wanted to troll instead

when the only mirrorless experience those people have is with the functional equivalent of a primitive k10d, they think that all mirrorless cameras must work like that, and nobody is going to tell 'em any different, lol.
I'm sorry folks. I'm done.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 05-17-2016 at 08:08 PM.
05-17-2016, 08:13 PM   #128
Pentaxian

the point that i just posted for discussion was cameras automatically holding the aperture open all the time, and it was ignored
Your approach is very argumentative. If you really want discussion, you could skip the insulting people step and simply explain again why you see this as such an important point.

Is there any value to closing down the aperture during composition other than the fact that you can see actual DOF with your very own eyes??

Last edited by reh321; 05-17-2016 at 09:08 PM.
05-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #129
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When the only Pentax experience Osv has is with a - how did he put it - 'primitive K10D' ... he seemingly disqualifies himself from being relevant to this forum. We've moved on, he hasn't/.

I'd forgotten he also hates m43 and m43 shooters, as well as the medium format guys.
05-18-2016, 05:46 AM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Is there any value to closing down the aperture during composition other than the fact that you can see actual DOF with your very own eyes??
The answer in your question is the most important aspect of that action. You also get the benefit of knowing Bokeh bubble shape/size and at what f-value the nominal sharpness of your lens is.
05-18-2016, 06:15 AM   #131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
When the only Pentax experience Osv has is with a - how did he put it - 'primitive K10D' ... he seemingly disqualifies himself from being relevant to this forum. We've moved on, he hasn't/.

I'd forgotten he also hates m43 and m43 shooters, as well as the medium format guys.
He hates anyone that doesn't worship at the feet of Sony. And his mission in life is to come in here and make us see the error of our ways.
05-18-2016, 06:22 AM   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
The answer in your question is the most important aspect of that action. You also get the benefit of knowing Bokeh bubble shape/size and at what f-value the nominal sharpness of your lens is.
So I could get the same benefit, if I wanted it, by using M42 lenses, since they are always stopped down on my cameras
05-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #133
Pentaxian

So I could get the same benefit, if I wanted it, by using M42 lenses, since they are always stopped down on my cameras
Yes except you don't get the benefit of seeing the way your image is exposed and the WB as you are taking the picture and you will have to calculate or chimp you flash settings manually.
05-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #134
osv
Veteran Member

Your approach is very argumentative.
your behavior is this thread has been nothing short of disgusting, for example: "Go ahead, blather away and away and away."

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/320...#ixzz491dteuAv

you never had any interest in having a reasonable discussion about anything, and you still don't, lol
05-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #135
Pentaxian

your behavior is this thread has been nothing short of disgusting, for example: "Go ahead, blather away and away and away."

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/320...#ixzz491dteuAv

you never had any interest in having a reasonable discussion about anything, and you still don't, lol
There you go again.
You are the person whose response to every remark is yet another insult.

{in the meantime, Silver-Surfer and I have had a reasonable discussion resulting from the very post that had you so upset}

Last edited by reh321; 05-18-2016 at 09:51 AM. Reason: further comment