Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2016, 04:19 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Perhaps Nikon will be a attractive acquisition for a large corporation looking for solid optics and camera technology.

05-22-2016, 05:21 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Perhaps Nikon will be a attractive acquisition for a large corporation looking for solid optics and camera technology.
Well, Samsung is now saying it wants to be the new B&W, so I guess their attention is now firmly fixed in another direction. I wonder who that leaves?
05-22-2016, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

It's already part of a very large Japanese multinational: Mitsubishi. Dont worry , Nikon will not die.
05-22-2016, 08:46 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1980's "style"

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Agreed. After the MG (1982) to about the *istD (2003), Pentax made one too many truly ugly and cheap plastic cameras. The loss of design consistency and build quality over that period really degraded the brand, IMHO.

To be fair to Pentax though, some of the 1980's and 1990's Nikon and Canon bodies were also horrors of poor design and cheap materials.

Most consumer brand electronics and tech items from the 1980's look particularly cheap and nasty today.

Chris

05-22-2016, 11:18 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
It's already part of a very large Japanese multinational: Mitsubishi. Dont worry , Nikon will not die.
Nikon's Chairman is a member of the 'Governing Committee' of Mitsubishi Group of Companies.
05-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Nikon's Q&A for latest financial results | Nikon Rumors
05-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From article:

QuoteQuote:
Based on the above conditions, we have forecasted 3.2 million unit sales of the digital cameras–interchangeable lens type, a year-on-year decrease of 21%; 4.9 million unit sales of interchangeable lenses, a year-on-year decrease of 17%; and 3.7 million unit sales of compact digital cameras, a year-on-year decrease of 41%.
ouch. It's hard not to be doom and gloom with projected numbers like those.

05-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
we have forecasted 3.2 million unit sales of the digital cameras–interchangeable lens type, a year-on-year decrease of 21%; 4.9 million unit sales of interchangeable lenses, a year-on-year decrease of 17%; and 3.7 million unit sales of compact digital cameras, a year-on-year decrease of 41%
Time to lower your prices Nikon. But from news reports, their prices seem to have gone the other direction. Not the best strategy to boost sales.

Nikon Japan announces price increases of up to 18% for lenses and flash units: Digital Photography Review

Reminder: up to 30% price increase on Nikon lenses in Europe | Nikon Rumors

Nikon price increase coming to Canada on April 1st | Nikon Rumors
05-23-2016, 11:45 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I think think they have done the right thing. Nikon finally figured out that they have lost part of their customer base to mirrorless and smart phones. Those that are left are going to have to pay more for the DSLR privilege. Simple economics, no?

No doubt in my opinion that Nikon could have built a better full frame mirrorless than Sony. Perhaps with Nikon's traditional control of the marketplace, they figured they didn't need to compete with Sony, just ignore them. After all, it worked many times before, such as with the A-mount. For whatever reason, Nikon's control of the marketplace didn't work this time. Sony's Nex and A7 series struck a cord with the consumer. Nikon had to do the embarrassing thing of cutting back expenses around the world. I think there's a good chance that they will fight back during Photokina with the announcement of a new large frame mirrorless to run in parallel with their DSLRs. At least Thom Hogan listed a mirrorless in his photokina projections.
05-24-2016, 02:33 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suppose they figure it is better to sell less gear for a profit than more gear for a loss.
05-24-2016, 05:17 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
they figure it is better to sell less gear for a profit than more gear for a loss.
Maybe. But perhaps they are making a loss overall because their gear is too expensive in the first place, hence disappointing sales.
05-24-2016, 07:50 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I suppose they figure it is better to sell less gear for a profit than more gear for a loss.
Yeah but if they are selling gear for a loss, they could always make up for it by selling in volume Just Kidding.

Let me pose this question: If Nikon knew what they know now back in 2010 (when the Nex5 came out), would Nikon have come out with its own mirrorless version to be sold alongside their traditional DSLRs?

I think the answer is YES - they would respond to the competitive challenge if they had recognized its potential 6 years ago.

So what should Nikon do now?

I think other camera companies will be looking somewhat sympathetically at Nikon and saying "oh my God, that could have happened to us" and thinking what they need to do to avoid the same fate. Companies like Canon and Hassleblad and perhaps others.

Nikon isn't going to die, but they will come out of this with a changed view of the photography business.

When i was a young mad just starting out, an early supervisor had a poster of a female duck with a line of ducklings stretched out behind her, and the text: Lead, Follow, or get out of the Way. Never forgot that.
Sony is currently leading the way, with Nikon and Canon not so much anymore. Sony could go from leading the way to just being in the Way at some point in the future. Its a fast changing world.

Last edited by philbaum; 05-24-2016 at 08:07 AM.
06-17-2016, 01:57 AM   #43

The competition is getting the best out of Nikon! I'm interested to see how this will affect the upcoming body prices.
06-17-2016, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clostoyo Quote
I'm interested to see how this will affect the upcoming body prices.
The disappointing DxOMark score for the D500 should be something for them to worry about as well. While it's AF may be great, the D500 sensor tech is lacking for such a premium priced camera. Hard to charge premium prices for a camera that doesn't make better images than cheaper cameras like the D7200 and D5500 (or K-3/A6000/A6300).
06-17-2016, 03:08 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The disappointing DxOMark score for the D500 should be something for them to worry about as well. While it's AF may be great, the D500 sensor tech is lacking for such a premium priced camera. Hard to charge premium prices for a camera that doesn't make better images than cheaper cameras like the D7200 and D5500 (or K-3/A6000/A6300).
I didn't think the sensor performance looked bad at all. SNR on all APS-C cameras is pretty equivalent and I didn't see any reason to suspect that this would be an outlier, but dynamic range is actually really well maintained, even at base iso where DXO Mark measure it at 14 EVs.

The sensor that looked questionable to me was the D5 which really looks not great at low iso and has less dynamic range than the D500 up till iso 1600.

But what you are getting with both these cameras is cutting edge auto focus, able to track a black cat in a coal mine -- and very high frames per second -- and a bottomless buffer. If you don't need those things, then certainly a D7200 will be fine, but clearly Nikon is selling a lot more than just a nice sensor with these cameras.