Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2016, 08:20 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bear raids our feeders.

This bad boy took down all our feeders, over the last few nights. We usually stop feeding the birds when we go down south at the end of May. This year we may have to stop a bit early.

Taken with a wildlife camera with a motion sensor.

Last edited by normhead; 05-22-2016 at 08:46 AM.
05-22-2016, 08:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I <3 bears.
05-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My uncle had the same problem, In NJ, no less! I haven't seen any in my town, but I know they are often sighted up in teh Blue Ridge Mountains not far away. I hope to see one ,first, and get a good shot with a telephoto lens. I don't fear bears, but I respect their space.
05-22-2016, 08:45 AM   #4

I wonder what attracts the bears. Is there suet in the bird feed?

05-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I wonder what attracts the bears. Is there suet in the bird feed?
He lifted the top off the garbage can I store my black oil sunflower seeds in and has eaten more than half the can. He hasn't touched the small bird feed can (millet , cracked corn, peanuts) . I have no suet out this time of year. And he's not very bear like in that we had 5 bags of garbage out waiting to go to the dump, and he didn't touch them. Just a young bear, and thankfully, not a dump bear. If he were a dump bear there would be garbage all over my yard.
05-22-2016, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It kinda looks like bear ballet.
05-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

This bad boy took down all our feeders, over the last few nights. We usually stop feeding the birds when we go down south at the end of May. This year we may have to stop a bit early.

Taken with a wildlife camera with a motion sensor.
Last year, I found our bird feeder knocked out off its tree every day for a week. Eventually I discovered that deer were coming through around dawn and treating like it was a pinata - that hardly seemed worth their effort since the seeds were so small and they were so big, but if that's how they were going to behave, I declared the animal feeding season to be over.

05-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is so cool, we have had a bear sighting in the area and every single photo was the bear going after bird food. Standing on his hind legs pulling at the feeder. We don't have a lot of bears around in this area, they are usually in the park area that's an hour away.
05-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Last year, I found our bird feeder knocked out off its tree every day for a week. Eventually I discovered that deer were coming through around dawn and treating like it was a pinata - that hardly seemed worth their effort since the seeds were so small and they were so big, but if that's how they were going to behave, I declared the animal feeding season to be over.
We have deer around here too. IN fact part of the reason the rail is there was we were trying to attract the deer the neighbours get photos of with their motion camera. The Blue Jays ate the corn we put out for the deer, Now the bear eats the seed we put out for the Blue Jays.

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
That is so cool, we have had a bear sighting in the area and every single photo was the bear going after bird food. Standing on his hind legs pulling at the feeder. We don't have a lot of bears around in this area, they are usually in the park area that's an hour away.
I think most of the above is governed by your law Mr. Murhy.
05-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think most of the above is governed by your law Mr. Murhy.
I think I missed something...the bears live in a national park that is about an hour away, they travel down from the mountains, it's rare from them to travel so far away from home. The Dept of natural resources advise everyone that they will find their way back on their own. I am sorry, I don't get the law reference?
05-23-2016, 06:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I think I missed something...the bears live in a national park that is about an hour away, they travel down from the mountains, it's rare from them to travel so far away from home. The Dept of natural resources advise everyone that they will find their way back on their own. I am sorry, I don't get the law reference?
You never heard of Murphy's Law?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy%27s_law

All the pictures show bears at bird feeders, the feeders were put out for birds, bears came, which is an illustration of Murphy's Law "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong."

Or the more scientific version "given enough trials, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"
05-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You never heard of Murphy's Law?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy%27s_law

All the pictures show bears at bird feeders, the feeders were put out for birds, bears came, which is an illustration of Murphy's Law "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong."

Or the more scientific version "given enough trials, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"
oh! lol, I was thinking something else entirely....yes yes, that is why I have the murfy nickname, based on some incidents when I was child. Sometimes I forget about the law :-)
05-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bring all my bird feeders in at night; because of bear & deer. I've watched deer with tube birdfeeders in my yard, getting hold of it, & holding it sideways, so all the seed falls out. They then happily eat it up. I defintely don't want to entice the bear population around here, to come into the yard expecting food, so they are all brought in. Plus it gets expensive when the big boys devour your bird feed.
05-24-2016, 06:58 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I bring all my bird feeders in at night; because of bear & deer. I've watched deer with tube birdfeeders in my yard, getting hold of it, & holding it sideways, so all the seed falls out. They then happily eat it up. I defintely don't want to entice the bear population around here, to come into the yard expecting food, so they are all brought in. Plus it gets expensive when the big boys devour your bird feed.
MY current plan is to put the feeders out early enough in the day that they will be empty before nightfall, and to sweep the "porch rail" clean every night, so the only feed available will be what was spilled on the ground during the day. I've moved the garbage cans i store seed in back inside. I won't put my main feeders out until the bears are hibernation on the fall. I'd still like to see a few deer here though.