Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-03-2016, 10:48 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just a matter of time?

A Camera Lens Breakthrough Could See Smartphones Outperforming DSLRs

Dick tracey had his Phone watch, Maxwell smart had his in his shoe.

So next will be great image capturers in the cell!

Its not IF, its when....could be quite a while or sooner than we think.

06-03-2016, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can only see metalenses as a good thing, since it will probably lead to cheaper, higher quality lenses. Just imagine something like an f/1.2 12-600 zoom for $100 that weighs 100g.
06-05-2016, 12:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Tech is moving fast, traditionalists wont fit in with some of the newer advancements but that's their choice.I'm one for the easy cheap solution, as long as a certain standard is attained.The phone thread has some pretty good images as does the Q segment, all from small sensors.Maybe you cant project wall size yet?However its not too far away.
06-05-2016, 02:36 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see that it would make a camera phone out perform a larger sensor camera. It sounds like it is just a way to make lenses thinner and weigh less. You still have the same sensor technology behind the lens and good as that is, it won't outperform sensors that are 5 times its size. Further more, I don't see any reason you couldn't use this technology on SLR lenses to make super telephotos more reasonable with regard to weight.

06-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes,thats the way present thinking goes.Tech progress/improvements are moving fast and what arrives in the future is unknown.Processors ,that can run rings miles long around the present ones, will evolve and sensor size wont matter that much.At present we have what we have, out there in the future is a complete unknown.

Dick Traceys gadget was thought"pie in the sky" when first publicised, and even a short time ago it wasn't a reality, but even though I don't use them, the smart watches are happening.