Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #106
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Let me take note of that. Let's see... only imaginative and creative people shoot with lots of DOF and everyone else is a loser. Got it, thanks.
all of those people who want f/2.8 zooms for event shooting must be idiots, lol

06-23-2016, 09:45 PM   #107
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
all of those people who want f/2.8 zooms for event shooting must be idiots, lol
Some of us event shooters use wide aperture lenses so we can get the required shot in poor light with an acceptable shutter speed and ISO.
Chasing shallow depth of field is nothing to with it most of the time.
06-23-2016, 09:46 PM   #108
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I don't think Digitalis was aiming at you Tuco. I think he was referring to those who shoot only for the bokeh, over and above any compositional aims.
screw the bokeh... try to understand the concepts of subject isolation and light control.

fast glass and fast shutters give much more flexibility.

---------- Post added 06-23-16 at 09:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Some of us event shooters use wide aperture lenses so we can get the required shot in poor light with an acceptable shutter speed and ISO.
Chasing shallow depth of field is nothing to with it most of the time.
i went ff for just that reason... but it didn't change the need for subject isolation and light control as creative tools.
06-23-2016, 11:20 PM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well this discussion degenerated quickly. On the topic of subject isolation and creative DOF control - even with the short flange of the new X1D it isn't likely we will see anything faster than f/2 for the new camera - if Hasselblad do release such a fast lens it will probably be a more standard medium format FL in the 80mm~110mm range. One of the drawbacks to using Leaf shutters is the limits on lens aperture they impose*. Fast wide angle lenses will be somewhat easier to design for this camera due to the elimination of the moving mirror, but they will be large and bulky: which will limit the appeal of this as a travel camera. Even more so if Hasselblad intend on releasing lenses with lens based image stabilization which I suspect will be in the pipeline.

*Unless Hasselblad commission Copal or Seiko to build a shutter designed for a wide aperture medium format lens, in which case: the cost of such a thing would be on the high side.

06-24-2016, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #110
Pentaxian

screw the bokeh... try to understand the concepts of subject isolation and light control.

fast glass and fast shutters give much more flexibility.

---------- Post added 06-23-16 at 09:52 PM ----------

i went ff for just that reason... but it didn't change the need for subject isolation and light control as creative tools.
You might show more respect for your fellow posters instead of suggesting they don't understand things. It makes you appear like a know-it-all.

You won't find many discussions about subject isolations without bokeh being discussed, because there is a certain importance to the quality of bokeh based on the setup of the lens, just as the diffraction stars are at the opposite end of the aperture scale.

It's how you use these features that counts. When you actually post some images of your own that demonstrate its use in a well composed way, then maybe you can teach me a thing or two, but looking through your posts you don't seem to post many images.

A theoretical discussion is one thing. But you don't get very far by patronising your audience.
06-24-2016, 01:05 AM   #111
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hasselblad's X1D is a photography nerd's dream camera | The Verge

After this preview I feel that it's modern, stylish and fashion thing. Fun gear.
But I don't feel that it's photo tool.

It's interesting and logical move in the mirrorless photo world, but it is not mass camera. Rather limited and niche product. Just to talk at forums.

Medium format (even with 44*33 mm sensor) mirrorless camera for 3500 USD could be real revolution. Maybe Pentax make it? But I doubt...It's simplier to launch 100 MP "FF MF" camera in classical form for the same 9000 USD. Time will answer.

Anyway, smaller is not better. 645Z is very comfortable machine with good ergonomics. Bigger? Much bigger. But hard to say if X1D is good for any arm or not.
06-24-2016, 02:54 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
On the topic of subject isolation
Indeed, sort of. It's all about the subject.
Find an interesting subject to shoot.
After that, gear related [autism] talk becomes irrelevant.

06-24-2016, 02:58 AM   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Medium format (even with 44*33 mm sensor) mirrorless camera for 3500 USD could be real revolution. Maybe Pentax make it? But I doubt...It's simplier to launch 100 MP "FF MF" camera in classical form for the same 9000 USD. Time will answer.
Exactly! If Pentax makes something like this, I doubt they will limit the mount and optics to a 55 mm image circle. In my opinion 44x33 is simply too expensive and too little to compete with 36x24 with its many lenses with much larger apertures. For the huge price difference to make sense, the sensor has to be larger or the lenses at least the same aperture numbers as FF 35mm.

For Pentax its a headache to find out what to do with the large register distance of 645. A. Reduce it and loose compatibility or B. keep compatibility and the huge size.

.. or C. Do a hack that allows both reduced distance and compatibility (bellow between mount and sensor or offer an extension ring)
06-24-2016, 06:04 AM   #114
Banned

It looks like a Red Dot winner to me.
06-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #115
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
You might show more respect for your fellow posters instead of suggesting they don't understand things.
when all they ever post is landscape shots, like you do, and when they fail to mention the most basic tenets of photography, like subject isolation and light control, like you did, is there really any other conclusion to be drawn.

likewise, attacking bokeh and claiming that everything can be shot at f/5.6 certainly doesn't reinforce the notion that posters know how to use cameras.
06-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
After that, gear related [autism] talk becomes irrelevant.
That is an offensive statement.
06-24-2016, 02:40 PM   #117
Pentaxian

when all they ever post is landscape shots, like you do, and when they fail to mention the most basic tenets of photography, like subject isolation and light control, like you did, is there really any other conclusion to be drawn.

likewise, attacking bokeh and claiming that everything can be shot at f/5.6 certainly doesn't reinforce the notion that posters know how to use cameras.
You as someone who hardly post ANY images make a lot of assumptions about what I don't know.

You don't know what I don't know.

For one thing:

Here's photography 101 for a gear head like you:

Be it landscape, portrait, wildlife, sport, street, one thing is key.

COMPOSITION

Composition isn't just about rule of thirds golden circle etc etc. It's also about key elements in the shot. So bokeh, subject isolation still come into it. And yes even in landscapes. You really show your ignorances when you talk about landscapes like it is always shot at f/8 - 11 and all is in focus. If you bothered to read and comprehend what I said, you'd understand that I'm not attacking bokeh. I'm saying that shooting for bokeh without considering all the elements of composition means it is not a good photograph. It still has to work as a composition. Go grab a camera and learn how to take photographs and go post something. Rather than pore through internet pages via google. Oh and when it comes to proving the case, I'll be the English gentleman that I am and say, "After you, dear Sir"

Last edited by itshimitis; 06-24-2016 at 02:47 PM.
06-29-2016, 04:35 AM   #118
Pentaxian

The Fuji folks seem to think Fuji will bring one on Photokina for less...

Fujifilm Medium Format More Affordable than Hasselblad X1D
06-29-2016, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The Fuji folks seem to think Fuji will bring one on Photokina for less...

Fujifilm Medium Format More Affordable than Hasselblad X1D
FF is so yesteryear...

(Mirrorless) MF is the future .
06-30-2016, 08:07 AM   #120
Pentaxian

X1D Will Get Zoom Lenses, Hasselblad CEO Sets the Record Straight there will be zoom.....