Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photographing the Milky Way from an Airplane

I figured that if I posted this anywhere else, the Mods would just move it here.

This is a wonderful tutorial on the topic, especially since he goes through the spur of the moment idea and is able to actually execute it well while on the trip. The only reason he was able to pull this off was with the Sony a7s.... As good as the resulting stacked image is, I think that the better more interesting ones were the individual frames used in a quick time lapsed loop.

06-23-2016, 12:55 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure which other forum you'd have wanted to post it in... Here is a good choice if it is specific to Sony, otherwise "General Photography"
06-23-2016, 12:59 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd put this in the photo technique forum Looks interesting!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-23-2016, 02:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm not sure which other forum you'd have wanted to post it in... Here is a good choice if it is specific to Sony, otherwise "General Photography"
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd put this in the photo technique forum Looks interesting!
With the need for a 1 second exposure in order to compensate both for the motion of the Milky Way and the motion of the plane, you need to go to a larger pixel size to maintain a lower noise threshold - thus the Sony sensor in the a7s with a large fast aperture lens. I was going to drop it into the "General Photography", but thought better because it some what sensor specific.

The combination of the lower pixel count pushing the larger pixel size with a full frame sensor at a somewhat higher ISO than normal while maintaining a low noise within the image, enables the capture of the Milky Way. On long red eye night flights, I've been able to get similar shots of the city lights - but capturing the Milky Way was just way beyond my reach. It's the noise that kills you.

Anyway, I enjoyed how during the flight they figured it out and put it all together. He had done other videos on using the a7s before with its low noise capability - so he had the gear (and the knowledge) at his finger tips to pull this off.

06-23-2016, 06:11 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, the high ISO performance on that A7S is unbelievable!!