Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A Mirrorless Body for use with Legacy Glass?

Hello,

I am considering a mirrorless body with a short flange and I intend to use it with legacy glass (i.e. Takumars, Minoltas). I currently use a Sony ICLE-500 but I found its low-sensitivity noise to be a bit too high for my standard. I don't quite like MFT machines because of its smaller sensor size and would prefer an APS-C sensor. Have looked at the K-01, but the PK mount seems to be hard to use other lenses (Pentax glass is awesome, but I also like to have more options). Shall I step up in the Sony line or consider offerings from Canon and Fujifilm?

WiFi support is good but I can always use a WiFi SD card, the same for geotagging.

Sincerely

07-16-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are going to depart from a Pentax body then consider Fuji mirrorless. I have not used therefore cannot endorse, but, I have heard good things.
07-16-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's probably hard to beat the Sony A7 if you want image quality plus compatibility with just about any lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-16-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's probably hard to beat the Sony A7 if you want image quality plus compatibility with just about any lens.
A7 is nice, but a bit out of budget. If I want to stay on the cropped sensor line, probably A6000 will be better for a limited budget?

07-16-2016, 09:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

then definitely consider the fujifilm (X-E2s)
07-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyone know about the EOS-M system? I used a Canon PowerShot G15 so am pretty familiar with the menus and software features. Now I use Sony. Have heard both good and bad things about Fuji.
07-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fuji is absolutely great coming from film cameras. Clean dials, good build quality, etc. I've used an X-E1 daily for about 3 years now. Really superb.

I've also given up using adapted glass on it.
Why?
No auto-aperture, even focusing is stopped down. This is like stepping back to the mid 1950s. It really slows down your work.

So if you need to do anything fast with adapted, manual glass, and it's mostly PK, stick with a pentax camera.

If you're really into wide-angle, look at the Sony, for full-frame.

For APS-C, Fuji is a great choice and X-E2/X-T1 used prices are very good at the moment, with the X-T1 obviously running a little higher.

In the APS-C class, I think it's pretty well agreed (and my experience has been) that user interface/experience with the Fujis is miles ahead of the Sony Alphas, and appreciably better in IQ, esp. if you're shooting jpeg.

07-16-2016, 09:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
Fuji is absolutely great coming from film cameras. Clean dials, good build quality, etc. I've used an X-E1 daily for about 3 years now. Really superb.

I've also given up using adapted glass on it.
Why?
No auto-aperture, even focusing is stopped down. This is like stepping back to the mid 1950s. It really slows down your work.

So if you need to do anything fast with adapted, manual glass, and it's mostly PK, stick with a pentax camera.

If you're really into wide-angle, look at the Sony, for full-frame.

For APS-C, Fuji is a great choice and X-E2/X-T1 used prices are very good at the moment, with the X-T1 obviously running a little higher.

In the APS-C class, I think it's pretty well agreed (and my experience has been) that user interface/experience with the Fujis is miles ahead of the Sony Alphas, and appreciably better in IQ, esp. if you're shooting jpeg.
Yeah, but my current glass collection has one PK, one M42, two Minolta SRs, and one Canon FD. I don't really care what mount the glass has as long as I can get an adapter for a reasonable price. I don't really care about losing Tv mode or P mode of my camera, as I started photography with a Ricoh several years ago and I used it in Av mode all the time.
07-16-2016, 09:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Yeah, but my current glass collection has one PK, one M42, two Minolta SRs, and one Canon FD. I don't really care what mount the glass has as long as I can get an adapter for a reasonable price. I don't really care about losing Tv mode or P mode of my camera, as I started photography with a Ricoh several years ago and I used it in Av mode all the time.
Adapting glass to any mirrorless system is all about the adapter - and there are plenty of those on the market. I like the sound of fujifilm based on the prices and the user interface as mentioned. Sony performs well, but, your are paying sony prices (tax)
07-16-2016, 09:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have traveled with a Vivitar 1:2.5/28 and a dumb adapter and have used all these legacy glass for trainshooting, so far I haven't found a big problem in them. However I do keep at least one normal kit zoom just in case I need AF or Tv/P mode. I currently have the Sony 16-50 Power Zoom pancake lens, and if I do switch a system, I have to invest again for a backup kit zoom (and the Fuji ones are quite expensive for a kit lens from my perspective).

---------- Post added 07-16-16 at 09:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Adapting glass to any mirrorless system is all about the adapter - and there are plenty of those on the market. I like the sound of fujifilm based on the prices and the user interface as mentioned. Sony performs well, but, your are paying sony prices (tax)
I might just consider picking one up used. I know if I get a X-E2 and flash the firmware to 4.0 it is going to be about the same as a X-E2s. Sony seems to have quite some "smart" adapters for Canon EF and Nikon F, and probably PK, and I have heard good things about their video capabilities. I started to consider Canon because of https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/322...on-eos-m3.html as it seems that even if I invest again for a normal kit zoom, the price is not too bad.
07-16-2016, 09:56 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Anyone know about the EOS-M system? I used a Canon PowerShot G15 so am pretty familiar with the menus and software features. Now I use Sony. Have heard both good and bad things about Fuji.
I don't know of very many people who take the EOS-M system very seriously. I would have to check on this, but I'm not sure there are very many adapters available for it. More importantly, the M3 finally has a viewfinder option, but it is an add-on for over $200. In your position, I'd look at the Sony A6000 or A6300 before I thought about the Canon EOS-M3.
07-16-2016, 10:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't know of very many people who take the EOS-M system very seriously. I would have to check on this, but I'm not sure there are very many adapters available for it. More importantly, the M3 finally has a viewfinder option, but it is an add-on for over $200. In your position, I'd look at the Sony A6000 or A6300 before I thought about the Canon EOS-M3.
I have a few rail photography friends saying good things about the EOS-M system, and it seems https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/322...on-eos-m3.html allows me to get an EVF for a price not too bad.
07-16-2016, 10:32 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
The explore fully the qualities of the old lenses you would want to use them with a film-sized sensor.
07-17-2016, 08:35 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clicksworth Quote
The explore fully the qualities of the old lenses you would want to use them with a film-sized sensor.
I guess it would depend on what you mean by "qualities".
I've had a great time using various film-era lenses with my K-30; I'm not sure what meaningful-to-me qualities would be different on a FF camera.
07-17-2016, 09:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I guess it would depend on what you mean by "qualities".
I've had a great time using various film-era lenses with my K-30; I'm not sure what meaningful-to-me qualities would be different on a FF camera.
That's why I am going to stick to a cropped sensor. I would like to have a body that utilizes the central sweet spot of a given lens to its full potential. So far I had quite some good time with my A5000 and the Super Takumar glass I got.