Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Is Pentax better than Fuji??

In terms of aps-c format using prime lenses with focal lengths from 15-100mm for hi iso and low iso shootings general photography and events like weddings, is Pentax better than Fuji in terms of size, weight, power (batteries) AF, WR and IQ?

07-22-2016, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #2

I'm coming from a Fuji XT1...

I'll say the battery life will be significantly better with Pentax... any DSLR has better battery life than mirrorless.

High ISO from FUJI, especially the XT2 and XPro2 is very solid... image quality in general is. That may be a tossup. Where Fuji takes the cake is their Xtrans sensors which do not use a typical Bayer layout of RGB pixels. It renders colors very nicely!

Fuji will probably be lighter.

AF with the XT2 is going to be hard to beat assuming you're using a pro-level lens (i.e. some of the primes and the 16-55 f/2.8, 50-140 f/2.8, 100-400 f/2.8)

XT2 has 4k video if that's important...

depending on lens choices, most likely Fuji is less weight.

Hopefully I answered some questions
07-22-2016, 10:34 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are so many differences, it is hard to compare. What is your priority? Viewfinder? AF? Burst speed? Do you need specific lenses that might not be available in one o the systems? You need to figure out some priorities and ask specifics. You also need some experience to figure out what these priorities are.

Anyway, Pentax is better in every regard, buy Pentax, all of Pentax. Pentax is best. Go get it now. Buy a K-1 and a K-3 as backup, with many many lenses.
07-22-2016, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A lot depends on whether you want to shoot zooms or primes. I think the big thing that Fuji has over Pentax right now is fast aperture APS-C primes. Pentax has small primes, but they don't exactly have fast apertures.

If you are shooting with zooms, I think they are awash. Fuji has some zooms, but they aren't significantly better or smaller than the Pentax versions.

07-22-2016, 11:29 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have both systems...

For JPG snapshots I use one of my 3 Fuji X APSC bodies.

For my serious work that I'm going to print large on my large format Epson printer I will pull out my Pentax K1 camera.

Overall, I'd agree with Rondec and give the edge to Fuji when it comes to prime lenses. Although the newer Pentax 50mm and 100mm macros are better than their Fuji counterparts in my opinion. These are the best two Pentax primes on the K1 as far as my tests go.

I expect that in the next year or two after Pentax comes out with their new primes, I might change my mind and give the edge to the new Pentax primes, but for now I'd say Fuji has a bit of an edge - but maybe not for long.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 07-22-2016 at 11:37 AM.
07-22-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a particular niche for any camera. Taking things to extremes, my Spotmatics are still better than any DSLR ever made wherever film is to be had and electrical power is not.

More seriously, Na Horuk has the right questions for you, OP. Go ask them of yourself, weigh up your bank balance, test the options in store if you can (wish I had that option open to me without at least five hours on the road!!!).
07-22-2016, 01:10 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Forum Member

ive shot alot with both systems. almost all your questions come down to opinion, and yours may rightly differ from any other, so 'answers' are of limited utility. that said, my opinion:
true, fuji has faster primes. many are also very large and imo do not balance well on their small cameras. also keep in mind pentax has some awesome small fast primes in the fa ltd series. not sure what more one would want than the 31/1.8 and 77/1.8. both are plenty fast for me. wider than 31mm youre looking at landscape and/or street shooting lenses, so fast does not enhance those shots.
my pentax ks2 focuses much faster than the x100, xp1 and xt1 i have used.
i do not like the look of the xtrans sensor. this was even more true after i tried pentax because frankly i was astonished at how natural my pentax shots looked and how processed my xtrans files seemed in comparison.
i find pentax colors deep, rich and realistic. i find overall clarity noticeably better as well. i do not like fuji xtrans at all for landscapes because i do not like how it reproduces green.
i seem to almost never get the right white balance straight OOC with my pentax. i seem to pretty much always need to make minor corrections in post, with either Capture One or Lightroom. dont know why.
being larger, but not large, my ks2 feels great in my hands--like a quality tool. most other mirrorless feel like toys to me in comparison, though sometimes the smaller size and weight is desirable. i believe the ks2 might be the smallest pentax dslr and possibly among the smallest by any manufacturer. the ovf is located very near the 'shaved off' left side of the camera, vs in the middle of most other dslrs. for me, coming from rangefinders and not liking to smush my face against the camera back, its location adds immeasurably to my enjoyment. oh yeah, and its weather resistant.

my intent is not to ruffle anyones feathers. this is all personal taste and my opinion is only that, my opinion. it is neither more right nor more informed than anyone elses, its just how my eye sees things.

Last edited by rbelyell; 07-22-2016 at 01:31 PM.
07-22-2016, 03:21 PM   #8
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
A lot depends on whether you want to shoot zooms or primes. I think the big thing that Fuji has over Pentax right now is fast aperture APS-C primes. Pentax has small primes, but they don't exactly have fast apertures.
As I said in a different thread, I believe that the K-70 is Pentax's first step along a different path - similar to what is done with IBIS, they're putting "speed" in the body so all lenses will benefit.
07-22-2016, 04:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you haven't seen it yet, here's my thread where I went through a head-to-head comparison between a K-S2 and X-T1 for about a month or so. . .

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/323...periences.html

My ultimate conclusion was that both cameras a very good, both have certain strengths and certain weaknesses. In terms of size and portability, it was a bit of a wash, as the X-T1 is the smaller body but its lenses tend to be porky. In terms of value or bang-for-buck, Pentax had the overwhelming advantage.

Both cameras let me down somewhat in terms of autofocus. The K-S2 required a lot of lens fine-tuning, to the point where I bought a LensAlign and spent quite a bit of time with it. The X-T1's autofocus impressed me with its speed and accuracy under difficult conditions -- then betrayed me with a total failure under what seemed like ideal conditions. At this point the only autofocus that I really trust is on my Pentax Q7.

As for which one of them won out for me in the end. . . Neither. I've decided my whole strategy was wrong, and I'm most likely going to sell off both systems and try something completely different.
07-23-2016, 07:32 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
In terms of aps-c format using prime lenses with focal lengths from 15-100mm for hi iso and low iso shootings general photography and events like weddings, is Pentax better than Fuji in terms of size, weight, power (batteries) AF, WR and IQ?
For APS-C format and prime lenses I think that Fuji currently has the advantage. The new X-T2 AF appears to be a good step ahead of the K-3II and the prime lenses are really good. Fuji will definitely appeal to film shooters who like having the aperture ring on the lens, manual control dials, and compact bodies. Ricoh wins in terms of build quality, but Fuji is a generation a head on its APS-C line. The K-3 (K-3II) is in need of an update. If I was going to be dedicated to an APS-C system then Fuji would be my first choice. The K-1 however is a significant step up over the Fuji APS-C.
07-23-2016, 07:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbelyell Quote

i find pentax colors deep, rich and realistic. i find overall clarity noticeably better as well. i do not like fuji xtrans at all for landscapes because i do not like how it reproduces green.
i seem to almost never get the right white balance straight OOC with my pentax
I have similar thoughts, a friend of mine who uses Fuji XT1 and shared family photos on flickr, I find the color rather odd like "fisher price toy" compare to my Pentax k-5/k-3 color which IMO is more natural than the Fuji, I thought it is only in my imagination and I am glad that you pointed this out.

I can't comment on the Fuji camera as I don't own one.
07-23-2016, 08:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Fuji will definitely appeal to film shooters who like having the aperture ring on the lens, manual control dials, and compact bodies.
IMHO, the aperture ring on the lens is very appealing, but Fuji don't seem to have quite figured it out yet. Some lenses have it, some don't. A common complaint is rings that turn too freely. (One out of my three recent-production lenses suffered from this.) Also, there is no lock on the A position, as we had with Pentax-A lenses. For some reason the ring has a click at every one-third of a stop, instead of just at every full stop. So, it's sort of awkward.

---------- Post added 07-23-16 at 10:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rbelyell Quote
I had exactly the opposite reaction. When I got my X-T1 and took some test shots with it. . . The colors! And the trees! That's the green that my eye sees.
07-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
For APS-C format and prime lenses I think that Fuji currently has the advantage. The new X-T2 AF appears to be a good step ahead of the K-3II and the prime lenses are really good. Fuji will definitely appeal to film shooters who like having the aperture ring on the lens, manual control dials, and compact bodies. Ricoh wins in terms of build quality, but Fuji is a generation a head on its APS-C line. The K-3 (K-3II) is in need of an update. If I was going to be dedicated to an APS-C system then Fuji would be my first choice. The K-1 however is a significant step up over the Fuji APS-C.
Wouldn't you say that a lot depends on what you shoot? If you do a lot of landscape work, then a K3 II may actually be a better choice due to the pixel shift and the flare resistance of Pentax lenses. I really don't find there to be much of a need to shoot with really wide aperture lenses for landscape.

On the other hand, if you do a lot of portraiture, then the Fuji lenses probably are going to be what you want.

Weddings are a tough call, because most wedding photographers I know primarily shoot with f2.8 zooms and while Fuji has them, they are awfully expensive.

As to what controls are best, I have no idea. I like Pentax controls, but that is because I am really used to them and when I handled a Fuji camera, it felt clumsy. I'm sure I could get used to it though.

Colors are neither here nor there for folks who shoot RAW, but if you shoot jpeg, then Fuji has a better engine than does Pentax.

I do think what you mention -- the possible upgrade path to a K-1 or other full frame camera does bear being mentioned. Many photographers start off with APS-C, but as the price comes down on full frame, I do think many will upgrade to full frame. That doesn't appear to be an option with Fuji and even if they came out with a full frame camera, it would likely need all new lenses as current lenses do not cover a full frame image circle.
07-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
That doesn't appear to be an option with Fuji and even if they came out with a full frame camera, it would likely need all new lenses as current lenses do not cover a full frame image circle.
The rumor mill recently has been very insistent that Fuji will soon release a medium format mirrorless camera. So, they may soon have the same strategy that Pentax did for such a long time: an APS-C system and a medium format system and nothing in between.
07-24-2016, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
The rumor mill recently has been very insistent that Fuji will soon release a medium format mirrorless camera. So, they may soon have the same strategy that Pentax did for such a long time: an APS-C system and a medium format system and nothing in between.
That's fine, but they will then have two separate mounts. The thing about buying a K3, for instance, is that you can choose to purchase lenses that at some point in the future could be used on a full frame k mount. If you shoot with Fuji and you upgrade to medium format, none of your lenses will be transferable and you will be back to square one.

I can just forsesee a time when full frame cameras are cheap enough that more folks will gravitate towards them over APS-C. Certainly they are already a lot more reasonable upgrade path than four or five years ago.