Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2016, 01:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Get an A7ii or Hold off for K-1?

I recently found a decent deal on a Sony A7ii w/kit lens and am seriously considering it. I'm really partial to both Pentax and Sony. I currently own a K-3 and a6000 and love both, but the full frame bug keeps trying to bite. I've really been holding off until I find a good/great deal on a K-1 or one of the A7 series cameras (the A7ii seems to pretty close to the K-1) .

My only issue with the K-1 is that I keep reading that the autofocus still lags behind other full frame cameras, but everything else on it looks pretty incredible. The fact that I am already invested in some quality K-Mount full frame lenses is also something I'm considering.

The A7ii looks great except that I don't have any FE lenses, so the 24-70 kit lens would have to do for a while.

Not really sure what to do, so I'm hoping someone can provide me their thoughts. Should I just hold off and wait for a K-1? Or should I get the A7ii and hope the kit lens is good enough until I can get some better glass?

08-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
KDD
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's your decision and your money!
08-01-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
More than likely some of your K mount glass will jump straight onto the K1 and work ok.

However,on a Sony, the Techart Pro adapter will turn all your present lenses to useable on a Sony(selected models) with AF.

K1 is a great camera for most things I do(4kvideo excepted)But Sony really is the big mover of all the brands AND big prices!
08-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #4

I think a lot of it comes down to how well K mount glass works on the Sony compared to the K1. Thats not something i've researched. The main reason I got the K1 is because I had K mount glass. If I was building a kit from scratch without any existing glass the Sony would be my #1 choice most likely. The K1 is a very nice camera though.

08-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If I was choosing, I would want the 36 mp full frame (K-1). I find Pentax AF to be efficient, and prefer DSLR (mirror utilizing) type camera bodies. Pentax also has the pixel-shift resolution feature.
08-01-2016, 04:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Pentax K-1 vs Sony 7 II - Our Analysis
08-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
More than likely some of your K mount glass will jump straight onto the K1 and work ok.

However,on a Sony, the Techart Pro adapter will turn all your present lenses to useable on a Sony(selected models) with AF.

K1 is a great camera for most things I do(4kvideo excepted)But Sony really is the big mover of all the brands AND big prices!
I had no idea anyone had made an adapter that allowed for autofocus. This makes the decision even tougher. Does anyone know how the K-1 and A7ii compare with low light performance? I couldn't really find any info on that anywhere. Thanks!

08-01-2016, 05:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

the Techart Pro adapter will turn all your present lenses to useable on a Sony(selected models) with AF
The Techart adapter is directly for Leica M lenses, not K-mount lenses. Although it seems it may work if you pile on another adapter (LM to PK) on top of the Techart adapter, I guess.

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Does anyone know how the K-1 and A7ii compare with low light performance? I couldn't really find any info on that anywhere.
I presume you are interested in low-light AF and metering performance?

Here the K-1 is better than A7II -

K-1 AF sensitivity: -3 to 18 EV
A7II AF sensitivity: -1 to 20 EV.

K-1 metering: -3 to 20 EV
A7II metering: -1 to 20 EV

The A7II AF specs are the same as the K-x for low-light, which is to say the AF may be usable in poor light, but not great.

Last edited by rawr; 08-01-2016 at 05:36 PM.
08-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The Techart adapter is directly for Leica M lenses, not K-mount lenses.

I presume you are interested in low-light AF and metering performance?

Here the K-1 is better than A7II -

K-1 AF sensitivity: -3 to 18 EV
A7II AF sensitivity: -1 to 20 EV.

K-1 metering: -3 to 20 EV
A7II metering: -1 to 20 EV

The A7II AF specs are the same as the K-x for low-light, which is to say the AF may be usable in poor light, but not great.

Thanks for the info. I think I misspoke, or just didn't know how to phrase the question. I was actually wondering about which camera produces less noise. But wow, the info you provided is great too.
08-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I guess
Stop guessing, Mr Google can help you.And Yes,the adapter is for Leica M and another will adapt many different mounts including K and M42.Its only for Sonys at this stage but maybe for other camera brands in the future???
08-01-2016, 05:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I was actually wondering about which camera produces less noise.
Unfortunately DxOMark hasn't tested the K-1 yet for low-light/'sports' image quality. But the DxOMark score for the A7II is 2449, showing (according to their metrics) that you can get good IQ at least up to ISO 2449. If the K-1 scores similarly to the D810, it's worth noting that the D810 has a DxO 'low-light' score of 2853. So K-1 and A7II probably won't be far apart in IQ if low-light forces you to run-up the camera ISO.

FWIW, this is borne out by Bill Claff's charts of both K-1 and A7II dynamic range performance. Right across the curve the K-1 is better, but not by much.

---------- Post added 2016-08-02 at 11:01 AM ----------

And Yes,the adapter is for Leica M and another will adapt many different mounts including K and M42. Its only for Sonys at this stage but maybe for other camera brands in the future???
More power to them. I admire the ingenuity and energy of these emergent Chinese photo gear makers (for flashes, radio triggers, lenses, lens adapters, etc etc).

But the design of this adapter (ie push-pull the mounted lens back and forth up to 4.5mm in-out until focus is achieved) makes it seem rather limited in operation, unless the lens you are using has very limited focus throw.

Last edited by rawr; 08-01-2016 at 06:03 PM.
08-01-2016, 06:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Price of K-1 is wrong $4551
08-01-2016, 07:06 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Article lists price as $1796.95.
08-01-2016, 07:37 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Its not my review,I didn't
put those prices in there...its for the benefit of the op who I'm sure knows the price difference between K1 and the deal he's seen on A7.
$2799
Aussie dollars is our retail
08-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #15

I recently found a decent deal on a Sony A7ii w/kit lens and am seriously considering it. I'm really partial to both Pentax and Sony. I currently own a K-3 and a6000 and love both, but the full frame bug keeps trying to bite. I've really been holding off until I find a good/great deal on a K-1 or one of the A7 series cameras (the A7ii seems to pretty close to the K-1) .

My only issue with the K-1 is that I keep reading that the autofocus still lags behind other full frame cameras, but everything else on it looks pretty incredible. The fact that I am already invested in some quality K-Mount full frame lenses is also something I'm considering.

The A7ii looks great except that I don't have any FE lenses, so the 24-70 kit lens would have to do for a while.

Not really sure what to do, so I'm hoping someone can provide me their thoughts. Should I just hold off and wait for a K-1? Or should I get the A7ii and hope the kit lens is good enough until I can get some better glass?
Kit lens is 28-70, not 24-70. 24-70 is a bit better and more expensive