Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Canon and Nikon mirrorless full frame for Photokina? Rumour

Photokina 2016 Rumor « NEW CAMERA

I think Canon will do it - but i doubt that nikon will do it - different attitude in the 2 companies.

I've always thought that these larger companies should offer both types, i.e. mirror and mirrorless and let the customers decide.

For almost sure, Sony will have a new A9 for Photokina. There are several Sony owners who think that Sony is leaving their roots of lightweight mirrorless behind. Hopefully not, should be no reason they can't serve both camps.

08-12-2016, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's already a discussion here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/147-pentax-mirrorless-cameras/327597-new-milc-coming.html

Perhaps it should be moved to this section...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-12-2016, 02:14 PM   #3
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Photokina 2016 Rumor « NEW CAMERA

I think Canon will do it - but i doubt that nikon will do it - different attitude in the 2 companies.

I've always thought that these larger companies should offer both types, i.e. mirror and mirrorless and let the customers decide.
I agree that the market will decide, and it will decide faster if Canikon "give their blessing" to MILC.
I find myself wondering whether either of them is able or willing to do it right.
So far, they have not done so.
I have heard no more about the EOS-M3 than I did of the EOS-M.
The EOS-M3 did have an EVF, but it was a $200+ option.
Seeing this makes me guess that a credible system needs a built-in EVF.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There's already a discussion here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/147-pentax-mirrorless-cameras/327597-new-milc-coming.html

Perhaps it should be moved to this section...
I put it over there because my primary interest is in whether a credible Canikon effort will result in a credible Pentax effort.
As I said over there, assuming Sony doesn't prevent it, I believe Pentax could make a very credible MILC from the K-70 by replacing the mirror/prism system by a built-in EVF.
But, you and your moderators get to make the decisions around here {that's why I don't get big money around here}.
08-12-2016, 03:08 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The rumors about such a camera from Nikon or Canon have been swirling for some time. I can't speak intelligently about the possibility of significant market penetration for any maker in that space, but gut feeling is that the space for a profitable second player may be a little tight.

I have little interest in purchasing such a camera from either maker (or Pentax) in that I would have bought a A7II before now if the form was appealing to me. OTOH, I would be VERY interested in a mirrorless medium format camera at 50Mpx with an optical rangefinder...something like the legendary Fuji "Texas Leica" cameras only in digital.

Steve

08-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
something like the legendary Fuji "Texas Leica" cameras only in digital.
...or if FF digital, direct competition to Leica, something like the late and much lamented Epson R-D2...minimalist mirrorless m-mount with optical/electronic rangefinder (think Contax G2) and optical viewfinder at a price point in the $1400 range.

Epson R-D1 w/ Voigtländer 40mm f/1.4 Nokton, Top
by Jeff Hapeman, on Flickr

Steve
08-12-2016, 07:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OTOH, I would be VERY interested in a mirrorless medium format camera at 50Mpx with an optical rangefinder...something like the legendary Fuji "Texas Leica" cameras only in digital.
A big thumbs up on this one too. I have a K-01 and like it well enough, but having to frame the image with the LCD screen has always been an issue for me. First, the older we get, the harder it is to see the image on the LCD without getting longer arms. The eyes just do not focus close like they used to (no, I am not 70, far from it). Having a range finder view finder (I'd even go with an LCD eye level finder in this format) would be so much nicer and EASIER to work with than the back LCD screen! Hey, what about a nice Pentax 6x7D with a digital LCD eye level finder to bring the size of the camera down? If we go 50-60mp, how about 80-90mp for this one? And give us an ISO range from 25 to 250K or more!

I waited 7 years for the K-1. I guess this one will take a little longer!

Regards,
08-13-2016, 08:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The rumors about such a camera from Nikon or Canon have been swirling for some time. I can't speak intelligently about the possibility of significant market penetration for any maker in that space, but gut feeling is that the space for a profitable second player may be a little tight.

I have little interest in purchasing such a camera from either maker (or Pentax) in that I would have bought a A7II before now if the form was appealing to me. OTOH, I would be VERY interested in a mirrorless medium format camera at 50Mpx with an optical rangefinder...something like the legendary Fuji "Texas Leica" cameras only in digital

Steve
It wouldn't be a surprise if Fuji did just what you are suggesting, or something similar to it. I'd be tempted too. Medium format is becoming steadily more sexy as prices come down. A straightforward (not fancy and OTT) but pixelful Fuji MF combined with an M43 or APS-C kit would be a very good combo.
08-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
It wouldn't be a surprise if Fuji did just what you are suggesting, or something similar to it. I'd be tempted too. Medium format is becoming steadily more sexy as prices come down. A straightforward (not fancy and OTT) but pixelful Fuji MF combined with an M43 or APS-C kit would be a very good combo.
I wouldn't be surprised if RICOH announced a FF Medium Format dSLR or MILC at Phtokina.

08-14-2016, 11:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have little interest in purchasing such a camera from either maker (or Pentax) in that I would have bought a A7II before now if the form was appealing to me. OTOH, I would be VERY interested in a mirrorless medium format camera at 50Mpx with an optical rangefinder...something like the legendary Fuji "Texas Leica" cameras only in digital.

Steve
This isn't close enough?
https://m.dpreview.com/news/9438355523/hands-on-with-hasselblad-x1d
08-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

... Fuji "Texas Leica" cameras only in digital.

Steve
Perhaps a moot point but I think the "Texas Leica" is the Fuji GSW/GW 690 because it has the same aspect ratio ( 6:9) as the small format Leica thereby making for a more scaled up version.

Last edited by tuco; 08-15-2016 at 01:24 PM.
08-16-2016, 09:54 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Perhaps a moot point but I think the "Texas Leica" is the Fuji GSW/GW 690 because it has the same aspect ratio ( 6:9) as the small format Leica thereby making for a more scaled up version.
Ha! Ha! Yes, that is more proper, though the term has been applied to both 6x7 and 6x9 models. I just grabbed the first photo that came up and would be pleased to own one of either series. I assume you are still having fun with yours.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-16-2016 at 10:02 AM.