Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2016, 02:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Olympus OM-D E-M1 for $799! Today only (8-15-16)!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Camera+Model_Olympus+E-M1&ci=161...281+4008762645

Olympus Olympus E-M1 Mirrorless Cameras | Buy, Compare & Review | Adorama

^ For those of you that are thinking of getting into M43, today (8-15-16) is the day. Dirt cheap Olympus OM-D E-M1 for $799. Bundle a lens or 2 with it & you have one smoking deal. I'd get one myself, buy I have too many things going on right now & there's not enough money!

08-15-2016, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dirt cheap is relative... Still more than a K-3... And half the sensor...
08-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

In addition and without comment...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HPQ0A16/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
08-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Dad has an olympus.

Pluses: The standard 2.8 zoom is way, way better than what is available for Pentax.
Excellent video
Live view that works, obviously...
Smallish and lightish.
Super autofocus performance.
Shake reduction that is fool proof.

Minuses
Not as robust as the K3.
EVF gets burnt spots when shooting outside in Australian sunlight.

08-15-2016, 07:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Pluses: The standard 2.8 zoom is way, way better than what is available for Pentax.
Excellent video
Live view that works, obviously...
Smallish and lightish.
Super autofocus performance.
Shake reduction that is fool proof.

Minuses
Not as robust as the K3.
EVF gets burnt spots when shooting outside in Australian sunlight.
I have an EM-5. I agree that the K3 (or just about Pentax DSLR) is more "robust" (i.e., significantly better build quality) and the shake reduction is very impressive (significantly better than my K-5iis). Whether the autofocus is "super" could easily be questioned; although it's definitely good, and often very accurate at non-telephoto FOVs, not sure I'd go so far as to call it "super." Video is nice — clearly better than Pentax (the EVF helps a lot here, as does the IBIS). While the standard f2.8 zoom may be sharper wide open, it's not clear it's "way, way better" than what is available for Pentax. Olympus's best lenses are very sharp — sometimes sharper than what Pentax offers. But Olympus lens are a little short in the character department. They're very good, but very good in a more generic way. Plus the Oly 12-40 f2.8 is rather heavy for an m43 lens. It's heavier than three of the six zoom lenses I've used in the last five years for landscape photography, and two those lighter lenses are FF glass! It's almost as heavy as the DA 12-24. And you get at least a stop more of ISO performance and several stops more of DR with a Pentax DSLR, so the Oly stuff, however impressive it might be in some respects, hardly can be considered a great value. Pentax makes better cameras, and lenses with more character and aesthetic impact.
08-15-2016, 10:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This price isn't cheap considering next month the new model will be at Photokina and has a much improved feature set and is going to be the same retail as model one in 2013.Just wait and these will be a lot cheaper.
Aussie Ebay best price body only is the equivalent of $us 666.

Last edited by surfar; 08-15-2016 at 11:05 PM.