Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2016, 11:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Connectivity: The new camera battlefield?

Nikon announces the D3400, its first entry-level DSLR with always-on Bluetooth | The Verge

08-16-2016, 11:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Good on Nikon, I guess.

But it's not just the hardware connectivity. What everyone needs to do is make their wireless software usable - setup, operation etc.

All of the cameras I've used with some sort of WiFi or Bluetooth connectivity make it a real hassle to get the connectivity features to work, and then when the connectivity works, they fail in some other area - eg not supporting basics like horizontal orientation in the app (eg the Ricoh Image Sync app).

There still seems a lot of work required in the industry to make all these camera connectivity features standard, no-brainer stuff.
08-17-2016, 12:33 AM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Good on Nikon, I guess.

But it's not just the hardware connectivity. What everyone needs to do is make their wireless software usable - setup, operation etc.

All of the cameras I've used with some sort of WiFi or Bluetooth connectivity make it a real hassle to get the connectivity features to work, and then when the connectivity works, they fail in some other area - eg not supporting basics like horizontal orientation in the app (eg the Ricoh Image Sync app).

There still seems a lot of work required in the industry to make all these camera connectivity features standard, no-brainer stuff.
Yeah, I agree. It confounds me that they haven't worked it out as logic would sugest that the pros out there would be seeking a workable solution that would enable instant uploading and editing.

It'll come for sure, I'm just not sure how long we'll have to wait compared to others.
08-17-2016, 04:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nikon's connectivity looks kind of awkward. It makes you carry two cameras (a smartphone and the D3400) and it seems like all the broader connectivity functions (e.g., posting to social media) reside on the phone. The result is a multistep, multi-device workflow of taking the picture with one device but then having to transfer it to a second device.

No doubt some will like it but others will find that it's easier to just use the phone's camera and post directly from the one device.

Given that DSLRs have almost all the hardware of a smartphone, I'm surprised that they have not added an Android software stack to the firmware and cellular radio chips to create true direct-from-DSLR posting. The only tricky bit might be crafting a partnership with the cell data service providers to easily tie the camera's SIM card to the owner's existing smartphone account.

08-17-2016, 05:46 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm happy with the connectivity of my H1a. The Pentax light meter connects to it just fine, and that's all I need.
08-17-2016, 01:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Given that DSLRs have almost all the hardware of a smartphone, I'm surprised that they have not added an Android software stack to the firmware and cellular radio chips to create true direct-from-DSLR posting
Samsungs tried this with the NX Galaxy.Pretty sure it was the least popular of the Sammys(probably due to a high price).
08-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried to upload to the Forum last night some images brought onto my phone with ImageSync. Everything was fine, if slow, except the Forum Upload dialog would only accept one image at a time.

08-17-2016, 04:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Nikon's connectivity looks kind of awkward. It makes you carry two cameras (a smartphone and the D3400) and it seems like all the broader connectivity functions (e.g., posting to social media) reside on the phone. The result is a multistep, multi-device workflow of taking the picture with one device but then having to transfer it to a second device.

No doubt some will like it but others will find that it's easier to just use the phone's camera and post directly from the one device.
I chose my current smart phone {a Nokia} primarily because it was supposedly designed around a good camera.
I got it roughly a month after I got my Q-7. Honestly, I've taken very few pictures with that phone - virtually always because it is the only "camera" I had with me at the time. In most cases, the Nokia is seriously inferior to the Q-7, let alone to my K-30 {or even a more modern / more expensive K-mount camera}. Typically, even if I know I will be attaching the image to a text message {and that is the only use I expect to make of it}, I will take the picture with a real camera to get its superior capabilities, then I attach the camera to a computer / tablet with one cable and my Nokia to the computer with another cable, and then use the computer's controls to transfer images; surely having WiFi capability on the camera would be simpler than that maneuver ... and wouldn't require the third device.
09-16-2016, 05:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Given that DSLRs have almost all the hardware of a smartphone, I'm surprised that they have not added an Android software stack to the firmware and cellular radio chips to create true direct-from-DSLR posting. The only tricky bit might be crafting a partnership with the cell data service providers to easily tie the camera's SIM card to the owner's existing smartphone account.
DSLRs do not have all the hardware of a smartphone. A DSLR is a Neanderthal compared to a smartphone, with a handful of specialized chips vs the broad processing capabilities of a smartphone.

And I'd hate to try to tap out a message for Facebook or Instagram while holding a DSLR and peering at its comparatively small, low resolution screen.

What I'd like is for my phone and camera to share an always ready, fast, personal cloud whereby I can take a photo with my DSLR, instantly review and edit on my phone, and then upload without any setup, connecting, or whatnot.
09-17-2016, 08:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

For what it's worth, have you ever tried to upload a fairly hi res shot through a cellphone? It's a worthless feature IMO. While my phone images seem to upload fine, I have tried using my Lumix connected to either my iPhone or iPad and it takes forever. My iPad is cellular capable and I took it off my plan after 3 months because it was so ridiculously slow. All this stuff might work fine in NYC or other large metro areas but not anywhere I have tried to use it. Even transferring images from the camera to the tablet is easier done by using a card reader. Some features on the Lumix app are handy IF you use them like being able to remotely take a shot (although within a reasonable distance) but for me it was just a novelty that quickly wore off. I have since deleted the apps. I could care less if my next DSLR has wifi but I'm certain it will because it's another "must have" feature that reviewers demand.
09-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My Olympus app Just Works (TM) when it comes to transferring images to my tablet. It can do other stuff, like remote control, but I haven't used it for that and my impression is that it can't do a huge amount. Still, good to have and so far very reliable and easy to use. With this and LR Mobile, I can post pretty good images wherever I want. So problem solved here, to a large extent anyway.
09-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
For what it's worth, have you ever tried to upload a fairly hi res shot through a cellphone? It's a worthless feature IMO. While my phone images seem to upload fine, I have tried using my Lumix connected to either my iPhone or iPad and it takes forever. My iPad is cellular capable and I took it off my plan after 3 months because it was so ridiculously slow. All this stuff might work fine in NYC or other large metro areas but not anywhere I have tried to use it.
I crossed the country this summer on an electric motorcycle and did this daily, more often than not in the middle of nowhere. I shot RAW+ Medium JPG. Worked like a charm and revolutionized my workflow. So much so that from now on every camera I buy will have to have good wifi.
09-19-2016, 06:28 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I suppose things have improved some, or at least I would hope so. To be fair, I do live in eastern upstate NY where cell service is spotty and that's also true in much of New England as well, where most of my travels take me. GPS doesn't work well either and can't be trusted. I expected that but was still disappointed with dismal performance of the Lumix wifi. Since I'm not camera shopping anytime soon, my card reader travels with me.