Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2016, 08:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like Nikon has shut down the "1" line (link)

Google Translate

The big fail: Nikon shuts down the Nikon 1 system - 43 Rumors

08-28-2016, 08:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Nikon killing their 1 mount after less than 4 years is probably the worst consumer experience in ILC history.
They don't have the excuse of completely leaving the sector as Samsung could.
LOL at the stupidity of their customers who believed this would not happen.
Even the Q lasted more than a year longer.

The advantages of a "system" = prison.

Wonder if Canon can turn their M disaster around.
08-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't know... How many APS film ILCs did Nikon sell? That was a bit of a hot mess, though at least they got to reuse some of the tech for digital...

I think the M is a better bet. It lets the Canon fans have their mirrorless without disrupting the EOS ecosystem. If I shot Canon, I'd like one as a compact travel option.

I think the Q has been more successful just because of lower expectations...

-Eric
08-28-2016, 09:45 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If true, this is too bad. The "1" line cameras are very well-made.

BTW...the "rumor" is based on a one sentence comment in DPReview's review of the EOS M3 where they state that they believe that the "1" line is no longer in active development. A rumor based on an unsubstantiated assumption. That is quite a bit different than Nikon pulling the camera from the market.

Steve

08-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The hard part of small sensor mirrorless is that while you can mount lenses from other mounts with an adapter, they all essentially become telephoto lenses.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon continues with the 1 series, though. Maybe some type of reboot and looking at other ways to market it.
08-28-2016, 10:37 AM   #6
ogl
Banned

they produced several P&S cameras 1" with different zooms and it's almost unreal to find Nikon 1 cameras in real shops...

---------- Post added 08-28-2016 at 10:38 AM ----------

Pentax Q will be closed too, I think.

Last edited by ogl; 08-28-2016 at 10:43 AM.
08-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If I can remember correctly, it seems not too long ago everyone was singing praise to the Nikon 1" sensor camera....(image quality etc.). The only thing I can remember was that the camera slipped out of my hand like a bar of soap when I first handled it in the store. It sure felt completely different from my Q which IMO is a lot nicer.

08-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #8
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If true, this is too bad. The "1" line cameras are very well-made.
A rumor based on an unsubstantiated assumption. That is quite a bit different than Nikon pulling the camera from the market.

Steve
Last Nikon 1 J5 was announced almost 1.5 years ago. This system is stopped and changed by new 1" P&S cameras and no shipment to shops anymore.
08-28-2016, 10:47 AM   #9
Banned

Some shops overhere recently stopped selling Nikon 1. I think it is abandond by Nikon.
08-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

2Theres a patent for a new Canon mirrorless,just filed in last few days.It maybe a M4 model.A friend bought the m3 with 200 cashback recently,so will wait to see results from his Bali/Phillipines trip commencing Sept1.
08-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Last Nikon 1 J5 was announced almost 1.5 years ago. This system is stopped and changed by new 1" P&S cameras and no shipment to shops anymore.
Sorry Nikon is neglecting Siberia. The cameras are widely available here in the Portland, Oregon region, both in regular camera and Big Box stores...all at full price. There are a dozen stores within 45 minute drive of me having both bodies and lenses.

As for the J5 being long in the tooth, the same is true of the Pentax K-3II. Perhaps we can ask DPR to start a rumor that Ricoh is no longer going to offer a flagship APS-C body since they have not announced a successor.

The "1" line may well be finished, but the evidence for the rumor (third hand in the link above) is a little weak.

Steve
08-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry Nikon is neglecting Siberia. The cameras are widely available here in the Portland, Oregon region, both in regular camera and Big Box stores...all at full price. There are a dozen stores within 45 minute drive of me having both bodies and lenses.

As for the J5 being long in the tooth, the same is true of the Pentax K-3II. Perhaps we can ask DPR to start a rumor that Ricoh is no longer going to offer a flagship APS-C body since they have not announced a successor.

The "1" line may well be finished, but the evidence for the rumor (third hand in the link above) is a little weak.

Steve
Traditionally, Nikon has had a couple of different cameras going in the system and up dated them every year -- meaning that there was a new camera in the 1 series coming out every six months. They've had 9 1 series cameras over the last four years, but the last one was released over a year ago. It isn't hard to see that either the cameras haven't caught on the way Nikon had hoped or, that Nikon just doesn't know where to go with them.

The obvious thing would be to add 4K video, but they haven't really done that, but maybe they just don't think even with that feature the cameras will catch on.

I had always thought that Nikon was marketing them as relatively cheap sports cameras, while Pentax emphasized the portability aspect of the Q system. But it seems as though folks are gravitating to either larger sensors or cell phone cameras and not much in the middle.
08-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #13
Pentaxian

All of this is about as scientific as reading tea leaves. Apparently Samsung has left this arena, but they'll never tell. Perhaps Nikon has given up on the "1"? Perhaps Pentax has given up on the "Q"? If a new one shows up, then we know it is still "alive", but death announcements don't seem to happen.

Incidentally, on eBay I'm seeing new "Q"s for sale at $500 and used-like-new ones selling at auction for as low as $150; this price gap is larger than I'm used to seeing, but it may mean that different groups have different expectations. A high price implies end-of-line to me ... we'll just hang on to these classics and eventually we'll sell them ... a low price implies a follow-on to me ... sell this before the new ones arrives. Frankly, I doubt if anyone outside the individual company knows what is actually going on.
08-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #14

It was awesome for outdoor sports/action. I loved mine (I have a V2 that I need to sell) as an easy piece of gear to carry around when I otherwise wouldn't bring a camera and could be guaranteed to get a shot off no matter what if I did decide that I'd regret not taking some photos otherwise... got some great dog race photos, birds in flight, zoo photos, goofing around with bikes and ATVs, etc during my time with it...
08-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
... while Pentax emphasized the portability aspect of the Q system. But it seems as though folks are gravitating to either larger sensors or cell phone cameras and not much in the middle.
Yes, two years ago I was deciding between those two formats for my "birding" system; it would be ironic is nothing smaller than MFT survives. Well, I'm 68 now, and I have the system I need, so if no update is available, maybe I'll just use the system I have until both of us aren't up to it anymore.