Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Canon passes Nikon's Flagship D5 in maximum dynamic range quality

So Canon is not there yet to compete with the class leading K-1, but they are catching up and passing by some poorer Sony sensor designs:

Image comparison: Digital Photography Review

This now is the second stereotype-breaking product after Sony's A7R2 with a FF sensor with regards to the important maximum dynamic range lost out to the older crop D7200 sensor and disappointed even against the really old crop Pentax K-5IIs, where it should have had a significant lead, which it only manages to regain in the noisier higher ISO regions, which are pretty useless for most landscape photographers anyway.
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A7R-II-versus-Niko..._1035_1020_830

So congrats to Canon for putting more pressure on Sony to not get lazy again.

08-31-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And yet their Cameras top sales I wonder how that figures.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-31-2016, 03:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It's not just the sensor design though. Other chips (Canon's Digic, Nikon's Expeed, Sony's Bionz, Pentax's Prime) contribute a lot to image output quality, and are on update cycles of their own.

And the 5D IV and the 1Dx II, for example, both have dual Digics. That's a lot of in-camera CPU horsepower to help process/clean up the image output.
08-31-2016, 04:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's not just the sensor design though. Other chips (Canon's Digic, Nikon's Expeed, Sony's Bionz, Pentax's Prime) contribute a lot to image output quality, and are on update cycles of their own.

And the 5D IV and the 1Dx II, for example, both have dual Digics. That's a lot of in-camera CPU horsepower to help process/clean up the image output.
i was actually surprised K-1 did not come with dual processor like (I think) 645z has - until I saw the price. I expected K-1 to list $1,000 higher than it did, with faster, bigger buffer, dual processors, etc.

08-31-2016, 05:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
So Canon is not there yet to compete with the class leading K-1, but they are catching up and passing by some poorer Sony sensor designs:

This now is the second stereotype-breaking product after Sony's A7R2 with a FF sensor with regards to the important maximum dynamic range lost out to the older crop D7200 sensor and disappointed even against the really old crop Pentax K-5IIs, where it should have had a significant lead, which it only manages to regain in the noisier higher ISO regions, which are pretty useless for most landscape photographers anyway.
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A7R-II-versus-Niko..._1035_1020_830

So congrats to Canon for putting more pressure on Sony to not get lazy again.
I can kind of hear a former Canon user say, "It's about time." I used to smile when he complained about their sensors. I think they had to do it. Some Canon guys will say Canon is the best no matter what.

Still, it is only one camera. Look at how the 7D Mark 2 performs. I wouldn't want one and its probably their best 1.6x crop sensor camera.
09-01-2016, 12:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
i was actually surprised K-1 did not come with dual processor like (I think) 645z has - until I saw the price. I expected K-1 to list $1,000 higher than it did, with faster, bigger buffer, dual processors, etc.
Maybe the KI's successor can be spec'd like that and list for more? By that stage, Ricoh should already have got a lot of folks on the ramp up to FF and so will have established a base of users to whom superior upgrades can be sold with, again by that stage, a growing catalogue of top modern lenses?
09-01-2016, 01:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Maybe the KI's successor can be spec'd like that
Pentax loves re-cycling technology across it's cameras. I suspect that some of the features and technologies we will see in a K-1 successor will appear in other Pentax APS-C cameras first (like how the K-3 metering sensor and AF chip was recycled in the 645Z, and then the K-1 too). More recently, the K-70 'accelerator' chip, which seems to significantly improve JPEG and high-ISO rendering in the K-70, springs to mind as a handy bit of gear that future Pentaxes might inherit.

Maybe if they announce a 654Z successor at Photokina before any new APS-C's are announced, there could be some new tech in it which smaller sensor Pentaxes could inherit too, I guess.
09-09-2016, 05:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This title is a bit misleading. The D5 isn't even the best Nikon at base ISO. The D810 is. It was one of the major gripes people had when the D5 hit, was that it wasn't that good at base ISO. Try this comparison, with the D810 it it's native base ISO of 64 (which I read somewhere is really ISO 100). And as expected there is very little difference between the D810 and K-1 as they are essentially the same sensor.