– 50 Megapixel Sony sensor
– Shipment in 2017
– DSLR form factor
– Will be launched with two prime lenses and one zoom
$2K-$3K below the price of the recently announced Hasselblad

09-03-2016, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wait how many MF cameras has Fuji released so far? I feel like I have been reading the same rumour for years now
09-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a bit like "sonyalpharumours" - I think Photokina 2016 will mark the three year anniversary of rumours on an A99 Mk II

One thing's for sure - there's a fair chance that one day in the future, at least one of these rumours will be true, in whole or part

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-03-2016 at 09:16 AM.
09-03-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
50 Megapixel Sony sensor
I am surprised they didn't go with more MP, in order to stand out from the crowd.
50 MP is sooooo 2015.

09-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I guess not for me....I'm still trying to learn to use my Fuji X10/X20.

Regards!
09-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is there really enough demand for medium format systems nowadays considering the performance of the recent FF bodies from everyone?
09-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Is there really enough demand for medium format systems nowadays considering the performance of the recent FF bodies from everyone?
I think it will appeal to the Fuji trendies and complement their APSC system..... in a way it's a clearer digital product offering than APSC and FF.....especially where they are at with their APSC gear. Also maybe, Pentax are looking more like the other two each day...... whilst Fuji isn't so much.

09-06-2016, 04:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I think it will appeal to the Fuji trendies and complement their APSC system..... in a way it's a clearer digital product offering than APSC and FF.....especially where they are at with their APSC gear. Also maybe, Pentax are looking more like the other two each day...... whilst Fuji isn't so much.
Yes, two jumps = worth it and maybe a genuine upgrade (perhaps), one jump not so much. So, M43 -> FF, APS-C -> MF. Still, don't believe it till you see it. If there is no business case, why on earth would they do it.
09-08-2016, 05:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Yes, two jumps = worth it and maybe a genuine upgrade (perhaps), one jump not so much. So, M43 -> FF, APS-C -> MF. Still, don't believe it till you see it. If there is no business case, why on earth would they do it.
Yep....

I expect to see it - and lenses. Fuji used to make much from their medium format gear, which was excellent.
I am hoping this drops the price on some of the APS-C glass, which is nothing short of stellar, and keeps getting added to. 23mm F2 WR is next on my list.
09-09-2016, 04:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

That depends on the price. If Fuji can put this on the market in the sub $4,000 price point, it will sell very well. If they develop lenses for it at the same rate and quality that they did for X-mount then they will have one of the most dominate MF systems on the market.
09-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
That depends on the price. If Fuji can put this on the market in the sub $4,000 price point, it will sell very well. If they develop lenses for it at the same rate and quality that they did for X-mount then they will have one of the most dominate MF systems on the market.
However, $3K below the price of the recently announced Hasselblad ($9k) would be $6K. That would put it about $1K under the 645Z, which I would think that Pentax would match the price. Then there is the size difference...

Depending on how the Fuji and Hasselblad sells, I would then say, that Pentax will need to consider body size on their next release - which may throw the entire lens line in to fits.

09-10-2016, 11:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
- With 50 Mp, I don't understand how they can compete on resolution with 5DSR (and partially K-1 pixel shift for stationary objects), especially since it will most likely be a lot more expensive and are limited to only tree lenses. They must have some unique and fascinating features or an unbelievable price.

- Image noise performance, shallow depth of field and such are probably a lost case to the mountain of lenses with even larger apertures on FF. The lenses must be really unique for MF or be priced extremely cheap.

Sorry Fuji, but I believe this will be an expensive mistake for you.
09-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
- With 50 Mp, I don't understand how they can compete on resolution with 5DSR (and partially K-1 pixel shift for stationary objects), especially since it will most likely be a lot more expensive and are limited to only tree lenses. They must have some unique and fascinating features or an unbelievable price.

- Image noise performance, shallow depth of field and such are probably a lost case to the mountain of lenses with even larger apertures on FF. The lenses must be really unique for MF or be priced extremely cheap.

These things all tend to depend on the execution, I suspect. A really modern, well-made camera, well-organised menus and handling, impeccable new lenses, easy integration with lighting, tethering and so on, top-notch servicing and support, a good price. Get all these right and you will find users in this small market where customers are knowledgeable and are prepared to pay for the best. But get it wrong ... I think Fuji could do very well, they do have strengths and an excellent rep, but we'll see ... There are folks who do want MF, from those who want the look or simply want the best to professionals who want to offer every competitive edge to their clients. I suspect there will be more of them in years to come. If everyone else is using FF, then the MF guy stands out ...

Last edited by mecrox; 09-10-2016 at 12:37 PM.
09-11-2016, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

- With 50 Mp, I don't understand how they can compete on resolution with 5DSR
Fuji have their jpeg engine.....
09-11-2016, 07:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The Fuji sensor has the same resolution as the 645z. Does the 645z have a problem competing with the 5DSR?
Fuji makes all the medium format lenses for Hasselblad. It is possible that the new Fuji MF camera will share the same mount as the new Hassy.

Canon sensors are a generation behind Sony. Yes, the 5DSR has the same number of mega pixels, but the quality of the RAW files are not nearly as good as the 645z or even the K-1.

Medium format users typically don't need a huge number of lenses. When I had my Contax 645 I probably used 3 lenses 99% of the time. Fuji has a long history of being successful with medium format, so I expect that they have a good idea what they are doing. The Fuji RF645 and GS6x9 were both very successful in their niche.

If there is anyone who is in a position to launch a new MF mount. It is Fuji.