Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
For years I never had zooms, and travelled with a Leica M & 35, 50, & sometimes 90 mm lenses. I didn't change lenses much, but picked one for the day and found the pictures that suited it. A few years back on a study tour of Israel / Jordan I took a super zoom compact digital instead. It was quite useful, and I've used the pictures projected for lectures often since.
However, now I'm back to picking a f.l. lens to use for the day, and fitting the shots to the lens. Don't fret over the lens you don't have, just find the good pictures for the one you do have.
I assume you went back to prime lenses for some reason ... was it image quality or ? Are you still using the Leica or something else?

The 3 lenses I picked for my APS-C camera are almost exact equivalents of the 3 focal lengths you picked for your Leica 35mm film camera. I would have a hard time leaving one of the primes at home, but I might consider 2 simpler options:

I still have kit zoom for my Kx, a Pentax 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, which isn't terrible. It would save me about 8 oz (230g) over the 3-prime kit - and would be more convenient than swapping lenses. But now that I've been spoiled by the wider apertures and noticeably better image quality of the primes, it's not an attractive option for me.

I also have a Pentax 50mm F1.8 that I might consider adding to the 21mm to make a 2-prime kit. It wouldn't be ideal, because the 50mm is too long for a 'normal' lens, and lacks the reach of the 70mm. In terms of your Leica, the 2-prime kit would be like a 30mm and a 75mm. I started photography when every 35mm camera came with a 50mm, so it would be uncomfortable for me to have no equivalent 'normal' lens today (which is 35mm on my camera). Plus, my 50mm uses a different filter size than the other 3 primes, so taking the 50 and the 21 would complicate things like my polarizer and close-up rings. And the 2-prime kit saves me only about a quarter of a pound (4.6oz, or 132g).

---------- Post added 09-07-16 at 10:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
When I had the K-x I think I found the Zing wrap was a decent fit with just a little "slack" at the lens end when using a prime like the DA 15 but using a pancake like the DA 40 doesn't work because of how it is designed to secure by looping over the lens. Now that I'm using bigger cameras I use a Clik wrap which is a little less form fitting but since it can be tightened and secured with velcro it can take up that slack if needed.
Either of these can be nice to put on the camera even if you have it over your shoulder or around your neck to protect from the elements and bumps.
Wow! Thanks for the tip. I had found the Zing - waiting for my color and size to come back into the supply line - but I had not heard of the Clik products - which look worth investigating!

---------- Post added 09-07-16 at 10:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I would take the K-x with whichever lens you use most (for me it would be the 21mm), and add a small camera w/ zoom lens.
-- Keeps everything simple
-- covers you if a camera breaks
-- does not depend on a new camera you aren't totally familiar with
-- gives you options of which camera to pack and which is out **
____
** In my experience hiking w/ others, if the camera is not out it is not usually used, unless the potential image is very compelling.

Just saw your comment about picking up another Pentax in France if need be--in which case likely go w/ the K-x and 3 lens kit--as it works, saves you money, good quality, and you are used to it/it is comfortable to use.
I crunched the metadata from the first 5,100 or so shots made with the kit zoom to see which focal lengths I was actually using:
18-30mm = 46% of total
30-40mm = 28% of total
45-55mm = 26% of total - of these, most were at the high end, suggesting I might have used a longer lens if I had one

I hadn't thought of the compact-as-a-backup solution! Hmmm... Does my iPhone count (5S)?

Appreciate the encouragement to stick with the 3 lens setup. I'm pretty sure that's the best solution if my goal is to keep the image quality high and the credit card bills low. Now it's just a matter of figuring out the best way to carry it.

09-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Domke 5xb....ruggard wear!