Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2016, 03:14 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Removing the mirror does allow for a lot shorter registration distances and that has its own set of strengths and weaknesses.

I am not a lens designer, but my understanding is that your smallest lenses will be at focal lengths close to the registration distance. That is why the DA 40 is so small and why the smallest Sony FE lenses should be smallest around 18mm (they don't have any FE primes at this focal length at this point). Lens designers can make choices not to clean up aberrations or, to have slower apertures and these will also tend to have a smaller lens.

With zooms, mirrorless just doesn't offer a whole lot of advantage. The G master 24-70 is 87.6 by 136mm with a weight of 886 grams while the Pentax 24-70 f2.8 is 88.5 by 109.5mm in size with a weight of 787 grams. Certainly at a minimum, when it comes to zooms, you can safely say that if they are of similar quality and cover the same focal lengths, they will be similar size (if not bigger) on mirrorless compared to lenses designed for SLRs.

09-28-2016, 05:03 AM   #17
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sony may have got it wrong, but I'd love a Samsung FF mirrorless. Their lens lineup is superb, and not long like the Sony lenses.

What I can't believe is how big the new Sigma 85mm f1.4 art lens is! Way too big. 86mm filter?!? C'mon.