Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2016, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Most Commonly Used Camera-Lens Combinations

QuoteQuote:
We have generated an infographic of top 50 interchangeable-lens digital cameras using our collected and processed data out of 11,502,447 photos. Below, you can see the most commonly used combinations of cameras and lenses.

10-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nothing really surprising. Ricoh has a long way to go.
10-03-2016, 03:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Interesting to note from the info posted that no one seems to use primes any more, except for the odd 50mm.
10-03-2016, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ah well, as I always like to point out when 'most commonly' is spouted - the most commonly drunk coffee is Nescafe instant granules. Doesn't mean it's the best coffee available, or even the 'world's favourite coffee' (as a marketeer would say), just as Kraft does not make the best cheese, and Simon Cowell is not the best music producer.

10-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

no surprise that the most commonly used lenses on nearly all of them are slow-as-hell consumer zooms.
10-03-2016, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do fully agree with the fact that most commonly does not equal best.

What I personally found interesting is that my most commonly used lens for Canon, from a few years back, was the 24-105 f/4L. Even though I did own some very fast L glass the most flexible lens I owned was that silly zoom. Good enough photographs, as long as I stayed away from the long end, and quite well balanced on the 1Ds Mark II.

As for Pentax having a long way to go, I am not too sure I agree with that. Pentax strength certainly lies with their prime lenses but they also have some surprisingly good zooms. Their two f2.8 DA* zooms have very good optical quality. If their focus motors had been more reliable then they would have been even better.

However, I continue to stress that becoming a "me too" company is not the best way to differentiate yourself. Pentax should build good zooms, but they will never beat Canon or Nikon in that arena. What they need is to build outstanding primes with eye popping build quality and image quality. Primes that would compete head to head and outdo the new Zeiss products, but even smaller, would certainly put Pentax back in the public and professional eye. Primes may no longer be the go to lens they used to be, but they are still the choice of many, many professionals and a host of committed amateur enthusiasts.
10-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looking at the Pentax information in detail, it's surprising to see the variations between bodies, even the K-3 and K-3II. The macro lenses, particularly the FA50/2.8 and DA35/2.8 are fairly high up in some cases, although the numbers are small for the later cameras, and no information on the K-1 usage yet.

10-03-2016, 08:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The only cameras I own on that top 50 list were the Sony A6000 and A7R. Interesting that the most used lens for the A6000 is the compact but widely panned 16-50. On the A7R, my most used lens, the 55/1.8 was the second most used.

I found it surprising that the top 3 Cameras were Canon full frames. I do think those are big sellers for pros, but it is not what I see around the far more numerous necks at tourist destinations--too big and expensive. OTOH, the first Nikon in their list is the DX format D7100. None of this makes sense to me. It seems to me that the source of images they are searching is skewed.
10-03-2016, 10:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
It seems to me that the source of images they are searching is skewed.
I think they use 500px as data source, and their sample size is tiny. The data certainly seems different from what you'd see on flickr, or for that matter other big image-rich sites like Instagram or Facebook.
10-04-2016, 03:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think they use 500px as data source, and their sample size is tiny.
Then certainly very skewed. Those that upload the biggest volumes of images to 500px will be those that feel it is worth paying the subscription, and a lot of those will be using it (or trying to) as a stock sales platform.
10-04-2016, 05:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I do think those are big sellers for pros, but it is not what I see around the far more numerous necks at tourist destinations--too big and expensive.
Yea. I would never have guessed that a $3000 kit would be at the top of most any usage list - makes me feel inadequate.
10-04-2016, 06:30 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I do fully agree with the fact that most commonly does not equal best.

What I personally found interesting is that my most commonly used lens for Canon, from a few years back, was the 24-105 f/4L. Even though I did own some very fast L glass the most flexible lens I owned was that silly zoom. Good enough photographs, as long as I stayed away from the long end, and quite well balanced on the 1Ds Mark II.

As for Pentax having a long way to go, I am not too sure I agree with that. Pentax strength certainly lies with their prime lenses but they also have some surprisingly good zooms. Their two f2.8 DA* zooms have very good optical quality. If their focus motors had been more reliable then they would have been even better.

However, I continue to stress that becoming a "me too" company is not the best way to differentiate yourself. Pentax should build good zooms, but they will never beat Canon or Nikon in that arena. What they need is to build outstanding primes with eye popping build quality and image quality. Primes that would compete head to head and outdo the new Zeiss products, but even smaller, would certainly put Pentax back in the public and professional eye. Primes may no longer be the go to lens they used to be, but they are still the choice of many, many professionals and a host of committed amateur enthusiasts.
Totally agree. 31/43/77 should be the pattern.
10-04-2016, 10:43 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
. Primes that would compete head to head and outdo the new Zeiss products, but even smaller, .
They would have to be slower, or bigger, or less corrected, ot rely on RAW corrections (so you're really getting JPEGs).

10-04-2016, 11:02 AM   #14
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well the K-5 was the last Pentax camera to sell in reasonable big numbers, but is already an oldy. So not a surprise that Pentax didn't score big, but not even making the list is........Well not very good.

On the other hand, I wrote that they had a marketshare of 1 %, so I shouldn't act surprised.
10-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
not even making the list is........Well not very good.
But anyone can make such a limited list. One can't really draw profound conclusions from this small survey.