Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #1

Old canon lens on Pentax q7

Hi,

I found an old lens which my dad used to put on his film camera : Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III (Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III: Digital Photography Review). Do you think that I can mount it on my Q7? If so, would it worth doing it?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

10-06-2016, 02:12 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

There are adapters for fitting Canon EF lenses to the Q-series cameras, such as this one: FotodioX Adapter for Canon EF Lenses to Pentax Q Mount EOS-PQ

With the Q7's 4.7x crop factor, the 35-80 will have an equivalent field of view to a approximately 165-376mm, so it could be quite a fun long telephoto. You'd need to focus it manually, of course, and I think you have to adjust the aperture from the adapter.

So, yes - you can mount the lens on the Q7. Whether it would be worth doing so... who knows? It takes practice to use lenses like this hand-held with the Q-series. Often, you're better off using a tripod.
10-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There are adapters for fitting Canon EF lenses to the Q-series cameras, such as this one: FotodioX Adapter for Canon EF Lenses to Pentax Q Mount EOS-PQ

With the Q7's 4.7x crop factor, the 35-80 will have an equivalent field of view to a approximately 165-376mm, so it could be quite a fun long telephoto. You'd need to focus it manually, of course, and I think you have to adjust the aperture from the adapter.

So, yes - you can mount the lens on the Q7. Whether it would be worth doing so... who knows? It takes practice to use lenses like this hand-held with the Q-series. Often, you're better off using a tripod.
If this is the same adapter I have, there is no way to adjust the aperture,
10-06-2016, 03:12 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If this is the same adapter I have, there is no way to adjust the aperture,
Ah, ok. The product description mentions "built-in aperture controller" but I don't own one, so can't confirm or deny...

10-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Theres a few cheapo Ebay adapters with apature rings for lenses you cant adjust yourself. $20ish.
10-07-2016, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
@BigMackCam : thanks so much. Now i'm motivated to try it!
@surfar: I found some adapters on Ebay where in the description they say that "For Canon EF / EF-S lenses, the aperture diaphram cannot be controlled by the adapter ring, and you have to the maximum aperture of the lens" I'm not sure if I can find one which can adjust the aperture...

---------- Post added 10-07-16 at 08:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by joakimesgen Quote
@BigMackCam : thanks so much. Now i'm motivated to try it!
@surfar: I found some adapters on Ebay where in the description they say that "For Canon EF / EF-S lenses, the aperture diaphram cannot be controlled by the adapter ring, and you have to the maximum aperture of the lens" I'm not sure if I can find one which can adjust the aperture...
@surfar: I think I misinterpreted. Aperture can be controlled directly (I hope) via the adapter. I'll try and see how it goes.
10-12-2016, 08:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To control a Canon EF lens aperture requires an adapter with power. EOS lenses use motors to adjust aperture. I haven't seen any Q adapter capable of changing Canon EOS apertures. You can put the lens on a Canon camera, set aperture, then remove lens.
Thanks
barondla

10-12-2016, 09:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I switched from Pentax to Canon in 1995, because I liked Canon's USM lenses much better than Pentax screw-drive lenses. I switched back to Pentax last year, because I like Pentax's bodies better now.
I still have a few Canon EF-mount lenses; here is a picture I took last year, to make a completely different point, showing the business end of an EF-mount lens. As you can see, there is no mechanical component at all.
As far as I know, there would be only two ways of controlling the aperture of one of these lenses:
(1) generate signals normally generated by camera
(2) put actual iris in the adapter
I have never personally seen a dial on an EF-to-Q adapter that might control the aperture.

Last edited by reh321; 10-12-2016 at 09:37 PM.
10-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Kipon make an adapter with an aperture ring, it costs more than what I originally thought though.

It must control within the adapter, so the lens must be set wide open initially.
10-12-2016, 09:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Kipon make an adapter with an aperture ring, it costs more than what I originally thought though.

It must control within the adapter, so the lens must be set wide open initially.
You're right. Thank you! I had never seen that before.
I've sold off most of my Canon lenses, but it might be worthwhile for me to look into this anyway.
Adorama carries them.
The price is $120, which is considerably less than the price for a Pentax K-to-Q adapter, but that adapter has an internal leaf shutter.
Adorama seems to have adopted the supplier's stilted language, and the photo angles are awkward, but apparently it does have its own internal iris.
I'm not sure why all these adapters, including the Pentax one, have the funky "1", "2", etc labeling on the f-stop ring, rather than telling us what the values really are.
10-12-2016, 10:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I had seen it due to my daughter shooting a Canon Dslr(silly girl), I didn't remember it cost so much as there are other adapters with apature rings that cost a quarter of of the Kipon price.From memory these ones are K mount to Q(so DA lenses can be used)
11-04-2016, 03:42 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joakimesgen Quote
Hi,

I found an old lens which my dad used to put on his film camera : Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III (Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III: Digital Photography Review). Do you think that I can mount it on my Q7? If so, would it worth doing it?

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Well, I don't know what you decided to do, but the comment I didn't make earlier is that most users are uncomfortable using aperture smaller than f/5.6 on a "Q", so you might not lose much without aperture control. Because Pentax has never released anything longer than the "06"'s 45mm, I'm constantly on the lookout for longer lenses to adapt. Most of the ones I've tried have been AdaptAll lenses, which have aperture control rings, but as inexpensive as basic adapters are, I'd certainly try any lens I already had.